• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which of these logos for proper restoration?

• Thread starter ReWind James
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ReWind James

Reaction score
For use in restoration of an original 1968 head cabinet with a missing logo and covering, which of these logos would be more correct? ...or another?

As the front panel is being re-covered in part of the restoration, it doesn't matter which logo has pins that line up with the factory holes. I also don't care about the shade of white / cream plastic, as I can easily dye it to match. What I'm interested in is which logo would be more correct in size / shape for the 1968 head cab.

The earliest original logo I have here to compare to is a 1972, shown in the photos.

Top to bottom: Modern Marshall brand, 1972 Marshall, MG logo
i.php

Modern Marshall on top of 1972. Pretty close!
i.php

MG on top of 1972. Definitely longer and different, but it this more correct for 1968?
i.php

Modern Marshall / 1972 mirror
i.php

MG / 1972 mirror
i.php

What I don't know, not having an earlier logo available for comparison, is if the logos of the late 1960s were a different size and shape to my 1972. Is it possible that this MG logo actually is a more correct size / shape to the missing logo from the original 1968 amp?

Again, pin locations and shade of cream plastic don't matter in this case.

Also, this nobody will be defrauded here. The new covering and other work will make it obvious that this amp has had repairs and replacement parts.

Thank you for your help, kind gentlemen!

@neikeel @pleximaster

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
you're recovering it? have you already started?

My suggestion would be to leave the original box alone & order a copy from someone like Sourmash. Plop the chassis in the new box & store the old one away for if you ever want to sell it...

ReWind James

Reaction score
you're recovering it? have you already started?

My suggestion would be to leave the original box alone & order a copy from someone like Sourmash. Plop the chassis in the new box & store the old one away for if you ever want to sell it...

Thank you. Not my amp, in this case, but I don't disagree with the decision to use what's original, fwiw.
I prefer restorations over replacements, when I can. In any case, I'm not the one doing the repair of the front panel on this. Covering / piping / etc. is not my forte.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
The MG logo is the most accurate for 68. That's kind of why they exist. The problem is they make your amp look like a music ground fake. Plus buying one means giving money to a criminal, and fueling his activities. He did not have those logos made so that he could made an honest living selling spare reproduction parts. ;)

The white logos were only used from mid to late 69 onwards.

The gold / white reissue logos are very recent. Late 80's / early 90's? onwards.

Ideally you want to find an original logo, or just go without. I think this is the best option personally. If you want it to look authentic. Hendrix never complained about broken or missing logos. It's perfectly normal for them to be missing or broken.

Last edited:

Latest posts