Which to buy: JCM 800 2205 or a JCM 2000 DSL

• Thread starter Nev
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Landshark

Reaction score
So I go and played the JCM 2000 DSl the other night. He had a Gibson LP that I used and went straight into the head, no pedals. It was ........ok I'd say. Dialed it in the best I could, wasn't bad, wasn't "wow" either. The 2205 straight in was impressive, but like most say, not much offered in features, plus more $. Gotta go back and play the 2205 again. Stay tuned.

You gotta think about what's gonna make you happy and wat will get you that tone you've been searching for... It seems like you're more impressed with the 2205 and with the effects loop, 2 channels, and ability to take pedals pretty well, it could become very versatile very quickly... If you dig the tone, I'd go for that instead of getting something "ok" and chasing a tone you'll want and not be able to get.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the combo version of the 2205 and a DSL50.
The DSL sounds great but the JCM800 has a certain brutal rawness that I just LOVE.
Could be the 6550 tubes.

Thats a good way to sum the 2205 up, "brutal rawness".

roylfukes

Reaction score
I played with a dsl for several years and it was a great amp with nice sounds on both channels. I was very impressed with the cleans on the dsl 2000 and just so so on the heavy distortion. Also I really wasn't that impressed about how it handled the stomp boxes. I decided to sell it and got an orange rockerverb 50 that also sounded good, especially with the cleans but the reverb was way overboard and unusable for anything over 3. the dirty channel had a lot of gain and had nice harmonics but it had tons of white noise when not playing. I sold it and bought a jcm 2205 1989 model and its the best amp I've owned but the cleans or reverb is nothing to write home about. the high gain sounds great and very little white noise in the background. 2205 hands down for the high gain raunchy power that rips heads off when turned to 10. I have mullard el 34 power tubes. I like the sound that Tom Morello has on his you tube demonstrations which I am unable to get with my 2205. I'm wondering what amp mods he must have since I have the same guitar and pickups. Anyone know the answer to that one?

I will start looking into a 2203 one of these days because I hear they sound even better than the 2205 and I'm not really needing the 2 channels. I like the "keep it simple stupid" KISS methodology.

Reaction score
After going through a few old 2205's recently, this one being my latest, i realize they just cannot capture that powerful raw sound of a good 2203-2204. This last one was a 1987. They sound good, but just don't have the thump and midrange bark of a good single channel 800. I also went through a couple 900's including an slx 2100 trying to get the modded 800 sound without modding one of my 2203-2204's, and realize it just can't be done. And the 2205 can't do the cool low-gain grunt thing either, its all gain or thinness. And don't get me started on the slx's ive been through lately, NOTHING like a good 800.

002-2.jpg

edit_preview.jpg

mlkx2

Reaction score
Have played and owned both. I was surprised, but in a side by side comparison the DSL kicked both the 2205 and 2210's asses (same cabs, effects, guitars, etc)...

Nev

Reaction score
Ok so let me ask you, does the JCM 800 2203/2204 come with an effects loop? Do you need a distortion/tube screamer pedal to get it have a good crunch or bite?

papa-seano

Reaction score
I boost my 2204 with a Ibanez TS10. Gain at 0 and level wacked up. Sounds awesome :) Handles pedals well but not as good as my main amp. ( VM ).
I'm looking to get a new dsl 50 too. Mainly for the 1 st channel. The other channel was always a little extreme for me.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) There is nothing as Bad Ass on the Planet as a boosted 2204. Don't let the 50 watts fool you. The 50 watters just have "The Sound".

:):) TWIN

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Owned a 2203..unfortunately lost it in a fire a few years back. Currently own a DSL 100. Id say they were both about even now that Ive done a few of the 'joey mods' and learned to stay on green with a boost pedal. Red is just a bit 'out there' for me.

HoboMan

Reaction score
I boost my 2204 with a Ibanez TS10. Gain at 0 and level wacked up. Sounds awesome :) Handles pedals well but not as good as my main amp. ( VM ).
I'm looking to get a new dsl 50 too. Mainly for the 1 st channel. The other channel was always a little extreme for me.

I used to boost my 4210 JCM800 combo with a TS10. Loved it. The TS10 is a GREAT pedal.

BDozer

Reaction score
I had both at the same time. The DSL had better cleans, better loop, more tonal options, yes. But which one did I keep? The 2205.