Who takes the blame for being muddy, me or my pickups ?

• Thread starter CrystalBearer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
I keep questioning myself, am I giving myself a convenient excuse to empty my own pockets for another New Pickup Day ?

The neck pickup tends to get muddy easily than the bridge pickup. It is quite common and understandable, I know.
Too much bass and high gain with the amp settings would likely muddy up the bottom end.
Roll back the guitar volume a bit and turn up the amp volume would probably sound better.
My Boss SD-1W could be very helpful in front of my amp, certainly.
Sometimes a little more midrange in the mix would fix the problem properly.
Why not pick the appropriate guitar to accomplish the job, perhaps a strat or tele if I have one ?

At the end of the day, I find out that my pickups are always innocent.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
What gear are you using.

My careless mistakes, actually.
Too many overdrive pedals in front mess things up. Nothing wrong with my PAFs, Goldtop R7, Blackstar 1RH and Orange cab.
Thanks for your concern.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I keep questioning myself, am I giving myself a convenient excuse to empty my own pockets for another New Pickup Day ?

The neck pickup tends to get muddy easily than the bridge pickup. It is quite common and understandable, I know.
Too much bass and high gain with the amp settings would likely muddy up the bottom end.
Roll back the guitar volume a bit and turn up the amp volume would probably sound better.
Why not pick the appropriate guitar to accomplish the job, perhaps a strat or tele if I have one ?

Speaker position makes a huge difference , on the floor will sound dull . Lift the speaker up on a crate or table and there you go instant brightness.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Speaker position makes a huge difference , on the floor will sound dull . Lift the speaker up on a crate or table and there you go instant brightness.
All of my 4 x 12 cabs stand on their casters while the Orange cab and all other combo amps are directly placed on the floor when in use. Never come across this practical idea of yours to make a big difference.
Thank you for letting me know this practical intel, Ufoscorpion.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Are you concerned primarily with your neck pickup tone? Or both pickups being muddy? There's multiple ways to fix this and many are easy.

Does your R7 have stock pickups and pots, if not put them back, my R7 came with burstbucker 1 and 2 and 500k pots and its not muddy. Guilt would lie on your amp at that point, dial your EQ and presence to remove the mud, if still no good dial your SD-1 into a treble booster - drive off, level and tone dimed. If still no good get a different amp. This is a Marshall forum, get a Marshall, plenty of 1 watt Marshalls to choose from, DSL1HR easiest to get.

Last edited:

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
A brief recapitulation,

My vos cherry burst R9 stock PAF neck 7.79k ohm
R7 goldtop stock PAF neck 7.54k
Darkburst R9 stock PAF neck 8.13k
Pre '74 Les Paul "Crystal" 57 classic neck 8.14k
Hamer sunburst archtop stock duncan 59 neck 7.83k
Hamer Artist stock duncan seth lover neck 7.33k
Hamer Artist Studio tom holmes H450 neck 7.34k

The output impedance of these neck humbuckers are apparently within the safe zone.
Taking into consideration they impress me favourably with their consistent performance,
I will have no intention to replace any of them by all means.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Are you concerned primarily with your neck pickup tone? Or both pickups being muddy? There's multiple ways to fix this and many are easy.

Does your R7 have stock pickups and pots, if not put them back, my R7 came with burstbucker 1 and 2 and 500k pots and its not muddy. Guilt would lie on your amp at that point, dial your EQ and presence to remove the mud, if still no good dial your SD-1 into a treble booster - drive off, level and tone dimed. If still no good get a different amp. This is a Marshall forum, get a Marshall, plenty of 1 watt Marshalls to choose from, DSL1HR easiest to get.

Just the stock PAF neck, to be exact.
I was fooling around with my blackstar 1 watt head at the time. I have the DSL 1H with me actually.

'96 Les Paul R7 Goldtop #7 6726 9.68 lbs

neck stock PAF 7.54k ohm
mid position 3.84k
bridge stock PAF 7.83k

volume pot CTS 440-70035A R1379626 500K audio taper
tone pot CTS 440-70035A R1379626 500K audio taper

ceramic cap 203M

IMG_0541.jpgIMG_0432_NEW2.jpgIMG_0433_NEW2.jpgIMG_0442_NEW2.jpgIMG_0428_NEW2.jpgIMG_0429_NEW2.jpgIMG_0434_NEW2.jpgIMG_0435_NEW2.jpg

Last edited:

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
The whole idea is to learn by experiment in different gear to see how my pickups react and behave with its unique character, unavoidably, learning through mistakes along the way.

The valuable opinions from all of you have indeed benefited my belief and have enriched my inadequate knowledge. The truth is always around the corner when someone gives me a handy tip.

Lookers-on see most of the game.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just the stock PAF neck, to be exact.
I was fooling around with my blackstar 1 watt head at the time. I have the DSL 1H with me actually.

'96 Les Paul R7 Goldtop #7 6726 9.68 lbs

neck stock PAF 7.54k ohm
mid position 3.84k
bridge stock PAF 7.83k

volume pot CTS 440-70035A R1379626 500K audio taper
tone pot CTS 440-70035A R1379626 500K audio taper

ceramic cap 203M

View attachment 143850View attachment 143853View attachment 143854View attachment 143855View attachment 143851View attachment 143852View attachment 143856View attachment 143857
So your guitar is stock? The neck pickup is muddy through the DSL too?

Here's an article from Seymour Duncan that explains how to add a capacitor inline with the pickup wiring to brighten muddy neck pickups:

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
So your guitar is stock? The neck pickup is muddy through the DSL too?
Yes, everything is stock. Never had any muddy problem with the Marshall amps.
Just the Blackstar head, its clean mode is OK. I found the neck PAF not tight enough in overdrive mode when cranking up the gain on the Blackstar.
I believe, only a matter of time, I can fix it properly with your suggestions.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yes, everything is stock. Never had any muddy problem with the Marshall amps.
Just the Blackstar head, its clean mode is OK. I found the neck PAF not tight enough in overdrive mode when cranking up the gain on the Blackstar.
I believe, only a matter of time, I can fix it properly with your suggestions.
Easy remedy, get rid of the Blackstar and just play the Marshall...

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
All my neck humbuckers are underwound—I’ve never understood guys using even a med output neck humbucker.

Hi tallcoolone,

Since you brought this 'underwound-neck-humbucker' subject up which holds a strong interest for me,
would you mind telling me your views on these pickups for neck position :

Gibson 57 Classic Underwound alnico 2 potted 7.2K $129
Gibson CustomBucker Underwound alnico 3 unpotted 7.2K $229

Currently, my R7 goldtop 57 classic neck is around 7.54K. Are there any big differences between 7.2K and 7.54K worth mentioning ?

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Hi tallcoolone,

Since you brought this 'underwound-neck-humbucker' subject up which holds a strong interest for me,
would you mind telling me your views on these pickups for neck position :

Gibson 57 Classic Underwound alnico 2 potted 7.2K $129
Gibson CustomBucker Underwound alnico 3 unpotted 7.2K $229

Currently, my R7 goldtop 57 classic neck is around 7.54K. Are there any big differences between 7.2K and 7.54K worth mentioning ?
Sorry I forgot about this thread. Those pickups are more than fine output wise, I’ve had several LPs with 57 Classic neck pickups and they were pretty good. I got another R8 last year and it has the Custombuckers which are some of the best LP pickups I’ve ever had—disclaimer I’ve only tried them in this guitar tho. I’ve tried a lot of pickups in Les Pauls and if I were to say the most open, clear neck humbucker I’ve tried I think it would have to be the Fralin pure PAF. I would bet his Unbucker would be even more so but I have No experience with those

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
If it's an A5 magnet in the neck pickup, swapping it for an A4 often helps. An A2 might be good also but it could get spongy. If it's already an A2, you could try swapping it for an A3.

Latest posts