Why Are Winged C's so expensive?

Alabama Thunderpussy

Reaction score
I plopped my original Marshall tubes into my amp the other day, and I noticed a pleasant difference in the upper mids and highs once I turned the volume up.

Now, I know these are Winged C's, but they're obviously worn and Im going to need new tubes. I'd love a set of t3h W1ng3d C'z but they are expensive as hell compared to the $60-a-quad JJ's I've used for so long.

I suppose many of the Winged C nutriders are playing 50 watt amps so a pair of them isn't expensive, but for those of us rocking 100 watt monsters, are we doomed to pay $145-$170 a quad, or is there somewhere cheaper to get them? :wtf:

Jon A

Reaction score
Haven't found any cheaper myself but the answer to the subject title is: People will pay it. Many decades ago used to buy direct from Svet. for $50.00 a quad. Should have stocked up I guess?
You might still find a stock of Russian military on E-Bay?

Lane Sparber

VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't found any cheaper myself but the answer to the subject title is: People will pay it. Many decades ago used to buy direct from Svet. for $50.00 a quad. Should have stocked up I guess?
You might still find a stock of Russian military on E-Bay?

Not quite, my friend. Evidence this quote from tubedepot.com:

"World monetary markets, coupled with higher energy and labor prices in Russia, have fueled price increases for SED tubes here in the USA. TubeDepot.com is working to stabilize price levels and we want you to know that SED tubes still are the finest glass power tubes on the planet."

Most of my clients have actually STOPPED using =C= tubes because of the prices, so at least in my part of the word, people no longer seem to want to pay it. I haven't ordered any of them in months. ;)

:cheers:

-Lane

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Not quite, my friend. Evidence this quote from tubedepot.com:

"World monetary markets, coupled with higher energy and labor prices in Russia, have fueled price increases for SED tubes here in the USA. TubeDepot.com is working to stabilize price levels and we want you to know that SED tubes still are the finest glass power tubes on the planet."

:cheers:

-Lane

That is the biggest load of hog shit I have ever heard!

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Yup... just ordered another pair form the Tubestore.com. $79.00 ... They were only $49.00 about 4 months ago... Oh well.

That's horrible! I personally, through my own experiences don't believe they are that good of tube in the first place.

redscott131

Reaction score
If I had to guess.......I'd say it's mainly because just about everyone on damn near every forum, thinks they are the best sounding current production EL34 being made (I don't totally agree with this because they are can fail just like every other tube, and in some amps there are better voicing options.)

When the makers of the WINGED C got wind of this....they drove the prices up with the basic idea of "If you want the best, then you'd better be prepared to pay for the best." I mean come on, if everyone thinks you have the best product do you really sell it at the inferior tubes' prices?

On a side note: I never really thought the WINGED C (EL34 or 6550) was that fantastic of a tube. However i've really started to like the JJ KT77, as the main powertube type for my Marshalls.

Just my two cents.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Hey Major,

Being fairly indifferent to the =C= my self, what EL-34 rates high on your list?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Hey Major,

Being fairly indifferent to the =C= my self, what EL-34 rates high on your list?

For the money, over-all tone and durability of CP (current Production) through my recent usage in my amps & customers Electro Hamonix EH EL34's I have had the best luck with. Not trendy and not cool but oh well.

Now of my personal stash RFT NOS's, Mazda EL34/6CA7 NOS and I have one duet of Mullards from the early 70's. My absolute favorites and I don't have any more either are the Telefunken EL34

Lane Sparber

VIP Member
Reaction score

That is the biggest load of hog shit I have ever heard!

Hey, I didn't write it! :D

I DO believe that SOMETHING is afoot here and the prices hikes are not just arbitrary simply because people like them. If that IS the case and if NYC is any indication, those prices will be right back down soon then, because it MUST be affecting sales!

-Lane

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Hey, I didn't write it! :D

I DO believe that SOMETHING is afoot here and the prices hikes are not just arbitrary simply because people like them. If that IS the case and if NYC is any indication, those prices will be right back down soon then, because it MUST be affecting sales!

-Lane

You posted it, ya fool! It don't matter whether you wrote it or not, you thought it relevant. And ya there is "something a foot" Some fat ass corporate clown getting rich of you mass consumerism junkies.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
For the money, over-all tone and durability of CP (current Production) through my recent usage in my amps & customers Electro Hamonix EH EL34's I have had the best luck with. Not trendy and not cool but oh well.

Now of my personal stash RFT NOS's, Mazda EL34/6CA7 NOS and I have one duet of Mullards from the early 70's. My absolute favorites and I don't have any more either are the Telefunken EL34

Thanks Major

Segovia

Reaction score
I just picked up a quad of =C='s for $110 from a local Music go Round. Last set there though :-/