Why Are Winged C's so expensive?

jtunes

Reaction score
I used to buy Winged C's for my Marshalls all the time.
Recently I found a supplier with a large stock of NOS RFT EL34s and they are less for a matched pair than winged C's and EHs. Total no brainer for me.
The RFTs leave winged C's for dead.

RFT's rule and yes they can be got cheaper than winged C's :cool2:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
the EH EL34's aren't bad. i'm not a huge EH fan in general but, they have similar tonal attributes. i run JJE34L's and KT-77's and love them. the E34L's have a tighter overall response and glassy highes with seemingly more low mids and lows than EL34's but, retain more articulation as well. so they sound like EL34's but,a bit more articulate and "modern". i hear the 6CA7's are nice too. personaly at least in my DSL and Dragon i like the E34L's better.

Salsg

Reaction score
Not quite, my friend. Evidence this quote from tubedepot.com:

" TubeDepot.com is working to stabilize price levels and we want you to know that SED tubes still are the finest glass power tubes on the planet."

:cheers:

-Lane

Some other vendor says something like that about a product he sells and he gets crucified here for it.

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Have been thinking about trying some out in my DSL50 with some Tungsols in the preamp. I see today that they are $80 at the tube store and only $50 at the tube depot for a matched pair. Are these really the same tubes with that much of a price difference??? If so, it seems like a no brainer to try these.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
im am totally on board with major on this one, my experience too has been that EH makes a very nice sounding EL34. ive done a side by side w/jj's and NO comparison, IMO. EH is much sweeter and pleasing.

my other guitar player has them in his amp right now, EL34L, i believe, and he's got fucking great tone at rehearsal lately. sounds huge and clear as a bell, w/great bottom end response.

but please note: these are not 'metal' tones, but im confident you would be pretty happy with them anyway at that pricepoint. all your metal is in your pre's anyway. we've got it biased about 65%

jamesmetabolic

Reaction score
Demand. There is no 'best'. It's all in the tonal high, whatever gets you on personally. Try them all.
Anybody have a wiring photo for a JCM 900 cab ? Sorry to hijack, got a cab with a bad switch and need it to run.

racefan56

Reaction score
After I changed out the stock pre's in my DSL 100 to JJ's the amp sounded great, then I had the stock power tubes changed out (they were 6 years old) to a set of new JJ's and it lost its magic, turns out the stock power tubes were winged C's and now I want a new set of them, though before I go completely knocking the JJ EL34's I'll try and check the bias if I can figure it out...

Have my old ones gained vintage tube value yet? :rofl:

EDIT: it seems they have a little...

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUAD-WINGED-C-E...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20b845b302

album_pic.php

The first one looks burnt now that I look at it though :hmm:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jason77

Reaction score
before I go completely knocking the JJ EL34's I'll try and check the bias if I can figure it out...

racefan,

i've used both sed and jj el34's in my dsl 50 and found the jj's sounded best at 38mA while the sed's sounded their best at 43mA. i don't know how you're running yours but maybe that might be something to try.

overall, i'm not crazy about the sed's in this amp with my setup which is fine with me as i don't want to spend $80 on tubes. that's just absurd. of the current production tubes i've tried, i still like the jj el34's best. still want to give the eh and svets a try for shits and giggles.

Latest posts