Why do TSLs sound worse than DSLs?

• Thread starter pureanalog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pureanalog

Reaction score
A couple of questions first.

Aren't their power stages similar?

What about their preamp stages? Can't a TSL be dialed in to sound exactly like a DSL in any mode?

In what way are TSLs inferior than DSLs soundwise and design-wise.

I have played both TSLs and DSLs and I cannot see why people trash these amps so badly... I found their crunch channel really good for hard rock tones and I love it. The cleans are pretty nice too and they can be set seperately from the dist. channel.

I am contemplating in getting another Marshall and I am torn between a JVM vs a TSL combo in 1x12 format. I tend to prefer the TSL from what I have heard.

pureanalog

Reaction score
If you like it, get it. Other people's (often heavily biased and without reason) opinions shouldn't effect what amp you like and spend your money on.

I like the DSL100's I have played too, but they are not availavle in combo format (only the crappy dsl combos...).

But I like hearing other people's opinions too. It is not that my ear is absolute and with a few hours of playing the DSLs and TSLs, I know all about them. Id prefer to listen to people who have lived for a while with those amps.

drriff

Reaction score
Uhm, no. I have a DSL401 and I like it. It may not be what you like, that's okay. But it sure as heck is NOT a crappy amp. It is an all Valve amp, it is small, & it suits my needs. You are high on illicit substances if you think that becuse it isn't what you want/like that it's a crappy amp.

LpPepper

Reaction score
Uhm, no. I have a DSL401 and I like it. It may not be what you like, that's okay. But it sure as heck is NOT a crappy amp. It is an all Valve amp, it is small, & it suits my needs. You are high on illicit substances if you think that becuse it isn't what you want/like that it's a crappy amp.

I had a 401 for a year . Never was satisfied really , barely any bass response from the OD channels and OD2 had way too much gain on the circuit .

A good clean channel but It never really sount that good overall.

I much prefer my VM :fingersx:

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score

What about their preamp stages? Can't a TSL be dialed in to sound exactly like a DSL in any mode?

I have played both TSLs and DSLs and I cannot see why people trash these amps so badly... I found their crunch channel really good for hard rock tones and I love it. The cleans are pretty nice too and they can be set seperately from the dist. channel.

I am contemplating in getting another Marshall and I am torn between a JVM vs a TSL combo in 1x12 format. I tend to prefer the TSL from what I have heard.

First off...whether they sound "better" or "worse" is highly subjective and depends on who you talk to. Furthermore, there was never a "datum" specified as to what this "worse" reference was compared to. So in this regard this is a bullshit question.

Second off...the power stages for the most part are identical. The TSLs do have the VPR switch which is nothing more than a preset PPIMV that gets bypassed when the VPR switch is disengaged.

The main differences are in the preamp. Like the DSLs they can be easily tweaked to be suited to ones liking.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
The DSL and TSL's are differently voiced. they can be similar in every other respect but, they will sound different because of this. I owned both and i can say...the TSL60 i owned always sounded....flat. The lead dialed in with the verb could get some alright tones but, when i bought the DSL i was figuring it wasn't going to be anything special as i owned the TSL60 and a 4500 but, MAN it's a different beast entirely and the mere fact that it's so versatile is an accomplishment as Marshall is known as a "rock" or "one trick pony" company to outsiders.

rockinrobert

Reaction score
I don't have much of an opinion, but I love my TSL 601. Not impressed with the 2 gain channels, but the clean channel with boxes for distortion is fantastic.

Landshark

Reaction score

Poor guy walked into an argument waiting to happen... It happens all the time. By the time this thread's over you'll wonder why you ever tried.

pureanalog

Reaction score
haha, perhaps so...

Anyhow here is Slash playing a TSL100

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXjPGosOtM&feature=related]YouTube - Slash & Myles Kennedy - Civil War - MTV Classic Launch[/ame]

And it sounds pretty good. Perhaps even better than his usual tone with the Jubilee.

By the way I just sold my jubilee, I really found its lead tone incredible. But the rhythm tone was nothing to die for. Nor where the cleans.

alvinratsim

Reaction score
^^^ heck, slash would even sound good using an MG head. And you wouldnt even tell the diffrence

pureanalog

Reaction score
^^^ heck, slash would even sound good using an MG head. And you wouldnt even tell the diffrence

Well I probably could. I didn't particularly enjoy his Vintage Modern tones.

But anyhow, he sounds to my ears just as good or even better than with his normal jubilee rig.

peterichardz

Reaction score
I play the JMP 50 watt MV head I bought new in '77 because it fits what I do.

That said, the TSL and DSL amps were designed to give players more freedom to play different styles more easily without carrying multipule amps.

All Marshall amps fit SOMEONES idea of the PERFECT amp for there style of playing.

A Marshall is a Marshall know matter what model !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many guitar players to change a light bulb?

100.............1 to do it.........
and 99 to say,....................
That guy SUCKS..................
I could do it WAY better, faster, better sound...........

:lol::lol::fingersx::naughty::)

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
How many guitar players to change a light bulb?

100.............1 to do it.........
and 99 to say,....................
That guy SUCKS..................
I could do it WAY better, faster, better sound...........

:lol::lol::fingersx::naughty::)

Nah...1 to change it....

And the other 99 to say "The old one sounded better". :D