Why do TSLs sound worse than DSLs?

• Thread starter pureanalog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
:) I find that fact very strange as usually SS Amps have cleans to die for, that's why the Jazz Players like those Roland 120s.

:):) TWIN

The Marshall cleans on the older 80's SS amps were OK for some things but I never really liked 'em. Those amps were designed for distortion, not cleans.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if i've played any 80's SS Marshall's but, the ones i listed are the ones i have played and i found something likeable and useable in all of them. i think for what i do the DSL and TSL series are the route but, that doesn't make either my favorite technicaly. I do love my DSL though and the TSL60 i had was alright. it really shined when it was turned up past 3 on the volume though and it was definitely counter intuitive dialing it in but, once i had it dialed in i liked it. The DSL on the other hand is pretty intuitive and sounds great at low volumes too which is the major plus on its end and the cleans i definitely like on the DSL more than the TSL. One thing i loved about the TSL was that it got TIGHTER as the volume went up. That's definitely a modern voiced amp and modern in response. I think the cleans on the 100 are probably better though. the DSL really the ONLY complaint i have is that it broke down on me a month post purchase and that's NEVER happened to me with any (and i've owned MANY) amps. The tones it gets are worth it though. I just hope she doesn't break down again aside from routine maintanance ala tubes,caps,pots and fuses as i won't be able to afford keeping it at that point.The TSL's scare me a bit though as well with all the bias pot problems i've read about and in cleveland you can't sell a TSL series and are hard pressed to sell a DSL because of the rumors of maintance problems. To that i say, try it ONCE and see if you think it's not worth it because the DSL surely is worth a one time bench easy especialy for the used prices. I guess with the TSL i'd have to wait until i read up more on swapping out problem parts but, once that's done it's on my list again just this time it'll be the 100.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
oh crap i left out the 6100...i haven't played one but, that's next on my list. then an SL-X,MKIII and TSL100.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
oh crap i left out the 6100...i haven't played one but, that's next on my list. then an SL-X,MKIII and TSL100.

I bought a 6100 in 1994 new.....great amp head.....I must have played 500 gigs (not exaggerating) with that amp head before it got rip from me a few years ago.

Landshark

Reaction score
Too many knobs!!!!!!!!!:hmm:

Yea knobs are scary... it's almost like they'll snatch your fingers if there's "too many" of them.

Triple (that's 3) Super lead

3 gain knobs
3 volume knobs
3 bass knobs
3 mid knobs
3 treble knobs
2 presence knobs
2 effects loop level knobs
2 reverb knobs

Crunch and Lead Channels share a presence, Effects loop level, and reverb knob. Clean has it's own. The rest are just distributes to the three channels.

It's not that hard...

custom53

Reaction score
Yea knobs are scary... it's almost like they'll snatch your fingers if there's "too many" of them.

Triple (that's 3) Super lead

3 gain knobs
3 volume knobs
3 bass knobs
3 mid knobs
3 treble knobs
2 presence knobs
2 effects loop level knobs
2 reverb knobs

Crunch and Lead Channels share a presence, Effects loop level, and reverb knob. Clean has it's own. The rest are just distributes to the three channels.

It's not that hard...

lol......:applause:

Phoenix Guitar

Reaction score
I had DSL 50/100 and TSL60/100

None of them really excited me with but stayed with TSL60 for last 3 years.

The DSL sounded like too middy and trebley to me and too loose, the new DSL100H totally SUCKS!!!

TSL better for me in mix with rock cover band when cranked up, like the master volume as well so I can use channel gain and volume to get great mix. I run gain on crunch at 6-7 and volume same and have a hand wired Tube Screamer which helps ALOT! Sounds great for main channel.

Lead channel needs gain cut back to 3-4 and it works well for solo's. Sounds close to crunch with some saturation but clear on solo's.

I read about everyone complaining about shared EQ. LOL! Never bothered me.

Clean is very good

Thought the loop on TSL100 was little better than 60.

Still searching for better amp, may go back to JCM800.

DSL100 and TSL100 too much volume for small venues around town.

Never understood the DSL love fest? TSL's are great too. I got a good tone out of it. Could not get good tone from DSL in Lead1 and 2.

I would like to check out the JVM205H?

Marshall needs to get back to basics and less modern features. 2 channel amp, simple, loop, clean and crunch, Master volume, EQ, presence, and resonance. OK reverb. Sounds like a JCM 800 2205, but lets make it simple and all tube! Handwired?

dreyn77

Reaction score
[{DSL100 and TSL100 too much volume for small venues around town.}]

see guys, this is the stuff that gets told over and over and people start to believe.
TOTAL BULL SHIT!
COMEON bulldoser, Zachman, etc etc.... WHERE IS YOUR EXPERT KNOWLEDGE?
I'm not waiting for it, cause you have no idea!
I'm off to play guitar and hear GUITAR at SUPER LOW volume via things with names stuck on them.
The name is unhelpful
I'm not going to waste time learning about names.
Learn what the speaker does when you change something to the signal path.

Johnt

Reaction score
Uhm, no. I have a DSL401 and I like it. It may not be what you like, that's okay. But it sure as heck is NOT a crappy amp. It is an all Valve amp, it is small, & it suits my needs. You are high on illicit substances if you think that becuse it isn't what you want/like that it's a crappy amp.

Ditto that,
I gig every week with a DSL 401 (three times this weekend) and the amp is superb. I also put a 2 x12 cab underneath. Great cleans. Good crunch and lovely saturated tones on OD2 with a Bad Monkey pedal to add some EQ and boost.

Having gigged with 100 watt Marshall amps i have had trouble getting the best out of them at lower volume settings, Whereas for pub gigs my DSL is more than loud enough running on around half master volume.

JohnT

Ken

Reaction score
[{DSL100 and TSL100 too much volume for small venues around town.}]

see guys, this is the stuff that gets told over and over and people start to believe.
TOTAL BULL SHIT!
COMEON bulldoser, Zachman, etc etc.... WHERE IS YOUR EXPERT KNOWLEDGE?
I'm not waiting for it, cause you have no idea!
I'm off to play guitar and hear GUITAR at SUPER LOW volume via things with names stuck on them.
The name is unhelpful
I'm not going to waste time learning about names.
Learn what the speaker does when you change something to the signal path.

More colors, PLEASE!

ken

GuitarBuilder

Reaction score
axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture51056-necropost.jpg

Reaction score
I was in a band a couple years ago. The guitarist i replaced used a TSL100. I also use a TSL100. The guys in the band could not believe how good my TSL sounded. There isnt anything special about my amp, i just took the time to dial it in. I think thats the key point about the TSL. You aren't going to plug in and find tone heaven straight away, you have to spend time with it.

With that said, i absolutely love my TSL.

I totally agree with you. I love my TSL100, I use it for gigs and rehearsing. The only bad thing with it is that it don't have a Master Volume so you need to crank it really loud before it breaks up. I use a 10-band EQ-pedal as a clean boost in front of it so I can get that great that raw uncompressed Marshall tone from it even at vol.3.

:dude:

aaron s.

Reaction score
i have a tsl 100 and love it get some really good tones out of it good metal tone but you have to crank it... good thing i live in the sticks and dont have to worry about complaints. it has sovetecs in it now but thinking of changing it to jjkt77s

:headbanger:

custom53

Reaction score
Or if too many knobs is the problem (with both of them) Go old School and get a JCM or JMP...

I will NEVER get rid of my JMP 2203...!

Image001.jpg

Image003.jpg

Grogshla

Reaction score
I would stay away from the TSL I had one in the 2x12 combo form and had nothing but problems with it. Even when I traded it in on the DSL100W the music shop had troubles with the TSL