Why do TSLs sound worse than DSLs?

• Thread starter pureanalog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zachman

Reaction score
[{DSL100 and TSL100 too much volume for small venues around town.}]

see guys, this is the stuff that gets told over and over and people start to believe.
TOTAL BULL SHIT!
COMEON bulldoser, Zachman, etc etc.... WHERE IS YOUR EXPERT KNOWLEDGE?
I'm not waiting for it, cause you have no idea!
I'm off to play guitar and hear GUITAR at SUPER LOW volume via things with names stuck on them.
The name is unhelpful
I'm not going to waste time learning about names.
Learn what the speaker does when you change something to the signal path.

As to your question, where is my expert knowledge-- Here on the Marshall Forum, it's found by using the search function, or sending me a PM.

In the real world, I can be reached at my Shop: Hot Licks Guitars Hawaii.

27289_396786130408751_1252664728_n.jpg

Take a virtual tour:

https://www.google.com/maps?layer=c...&sa=X&ei=6vfsUNn-IoWeiQK3m4GgDw&ved=0CJkBEKAf

axuality

Reaction score
Uhm, no. I have a DSL401 and I like it. It may not be what you like, that's okay. But it sure as heck is NOT a crappy amp. It is an all Valve amp, it is small, & it suits my needs. You are high on illicit substances if you think that becuse it isn't what you want/like that it's a crappy amp.
I have a Marshall 1923C combo amp. It is the amp that the Marshall crew made for Jim Marshall's 85th birthday, and then made some copies of it and sold them. It's a 50 watt DSL with a Vintage 12 (V30) and a G12 Heritage.

This amp does not sound inferior to a head with a 4x12 or 8x12 stack. It's amazing, as a matter of fact. I also had a JCM800 4010 combo, which sounded fantastic.

Combo Marshalls are more open sounding than stacks, which I like. They are not inferior.

:)

1.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
A mixing board has more knobs - just run it one channel at a time. Same with TSL:) . I find mine to be very bright, lots of high mid. You do have to pre-set some tones. Not having everything on 10 also means I have somewhere to go with my tone controls if need be! Versatile, I like it. I also love my 2558 Silver Jube. Different critter but I like 'em both! Learn your amp and set it how you like the tone and rock hard! Cheers!

lowinput

Reaction score
When I heard some bands play the TSL 100 I noticed a slightly different sound to the mids, like you say.
I also saw Megadeths roadies bring out 3 TSL heads, in mid 2000's, from a show. I thought Megadeths sound was 'head & shoulders' above the 2 other bands that night! their sound covered bass mids and trebles really well. the others had big holes in the sound spectrum, and did not 'fill' the venue.

Adrian R

Reaction score
They don't in my experience..

I'm jamin' with a dude right now in a band who has one, and I think it sounds pretty damn bad ass man!:headbanger:

It's all in the setup man. To many wankers out there who have yet to learn how to properly tune a Marshall..

I've owned many different Marshalls and they ALL sound like a Marshall!!!!

KH Guitar Freak

Reaction score
IMO, the TSL is not necessarily worse than the DSL. What the TSL needs is a shitload of volume. That's where they start sounding a lot better...