Why is JVM still being made???

• Thread starter Shae201
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shae201

Reaction score
I've owned all the JVM models minus the JS. It's such an inferior amp compared to what you can get today. The noise the OD1 and 2 produce is embarrassing for any standard amp let alone an made in England amp. The fact that you have to do so many mods is also embarrassing. I'm not blaming Santiago for this as he is a great designer but why do these amps continue to leave the factory is beyond me. My DSL20 blows my 410h away in quality of tone and noise. As a shade tree amp tech I constantly defer people from buying a JVM. Every gig I play all my musician friends agree that the DSL is a better amp for tone and all around. Marshall... discontinue the JVM and bring back the 2205 and 2210s!

Shae201

Reaction score
I suspect the question you really would want to know is why do people continue to buy them...Its market-driven. Noted that OP admits owning almost every JVM...
I'm a diehard Marshall fan but the JVM just isn't it. Like everyone else I've tried but it's just a right out of the box inferior product IMO.

Shae201

Reaction score
L
I've owned all the JVM models minus the JS. It's such an inferior amp compared to what you can get today. The noise the OD1 and 2 produce is embarrassing for any standard amp let alone an made in England amp. The fact that you have to do so many mods is also embarrassing. I'm not blaming Santiago for this as he is a great designer but why do these amps continue to leave the factory is beyond me. My DSL20 blows my 410h away in quality of tone and noise. As a shade tree amp tech I constantly defer people from buying a JVM. Every gig I play all my musician friends agree that the DSL is a better amp for tone and all around. Marshall... discontinue the JVM and bring back the 2205 and 2210s!

Shae201

Reaction score
Didn't mean to come down do hard on JVMs but after several MODs I was hoping for.a little more of a change. It's like that girl you wanna be attracted to but no matter how many beers you down she still not quiet there yet.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I've owned all the JVM models minus the JS. It's such an inferior amp compared to what you can get today. The noise the OD1 and 2 produce is embarrassing for any standard amp let alone a made in England amp. The fact that you have to do so many mods is also embarrassing. I'm not blaming Santiago for this as he is a great designer but why do these amps continue to leave the factory is beyond me. My DSL20 blows my 410h away in quality of tone and noise. As a shade tree amp tech I constantly defer people from buying a JVM. Every gig I play all my musician friends agree that the DSL is a better amp for tone and all around. Marshall... discontinue the JVM and bring back the 2205 and 2210s!
Well, hiss is inherent in any high gain amp. And mods...mods are very subjective. Some think the JVM needs mods, some don't. My bud has a stock JVM and it sounds glorious.

Lukas

Reaction score
I do t think it needs any mods but yea it is a loud friggin amp. Even with the Boss noise suppressor on the 4 cable method my DSL40Cr without any noise gate is wayyy quieter. Actually it’s mouse quiet you don’t even need a damn noise gage for the 40CR and I play the 40Cr through the same 1960B cab. I love the tone the JVM puts out but yeah it’s noisy. I was even considering trading it in for a 100HR because of the hum and hiss it puts out but I just retubed it with expensive ass tubes I’d never get my money out of at this point.

Shae201

Reaction score
Well, hiss is inherent in any high gain amp. And mods...mods are very subjective. Some think the JVM needs mods, some don't. My bud has a stock JVM and it sounds glorious.
Your right I just think the JVM hiss compared to my Soldano's 5150s and Mezzabarba is quiet loud but I know Marshall is known if inconsistent manufacturing from amp to amp.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, I've always thought my JVM roars like a beast, but I almost NEVER hook it up to use it because, well, I have a bedroom and that amp has to be cranked up BANGING LOUD to sound good and you just can't do that in the suburbs, you know? But now I have the JVM1h so I can get SOME of those tones in the bedroom finally.

Lukas

Reaction score
Yeah, I've always thought my JVM roars like a beast, but I almost NEVER hook it up to use it because, well, I have a bedroom and that amp has to be cranked up BANGING LOUD to sound good and you just can't do that in the suburbs, you know? But now I have the JVM1h so I can get SOME of those tones in the bedroom finally.
I feel the same that’s why I bought a 40CR. Can even play it through the 4x12 and it’s not ear bleeding it’s so manageable it’s awesome. How is that 1watt JVM?