Wonky pickguard on my new Les Paul.

• Thread starter giblesp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
Noticed that that the pickguard on my new Les Paul is slightly bent.

On closer inspection, the screw on the base isn't touching the body causing the pickguard to float. It then presses into the body with slight pressure, and has left a small mark in the nitro.

Possible that they drilled the pickguard hole too high? It's higher than my LP Studio.

I've attached some pics, white LP is my Studio. Tried to photo the underside of the pickguard.

I'm thinking the solution is to put some felt under the screw? Not keen on getting another hole drilled!

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_051907_e.jpg
    IMG_20240118_051907_e.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240118_051921_e.jpg
    IMG_20240118_051921_e.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240118_052100_e.jpg
    IMG_20240118_052100_e.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240118_052110_e0.jpg
    IMG_20240118_052110_e0.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Being the forum's official Gibson Les Paul pickguard expert :D, here's the deal:

Yup, they drilled the hole too high, which makes the pickguard sit too high to the back pickup ring, so they bent the bracket downward to compensate. Don't do that while the pickguard is on your guitar, or you'll dent the top.

The screw in my Les Pauls is just about right on the line where the binding meets the body, or slightly below it. It looks correct on your white Les Paul.

From the viewpoint of you first photo, you can try to fix the bend in the pickguard by twisting the top of the bracket clockwise with some pliers. That may help get the pickguard straighter. Just keep in mind that if you use pliers, they'll scratch the chrome. So a vice would be better.

Also, when you're done making any changes, make sure that when 'guard is back on your guitar, and with it sitting on your lap facing upward, to hold the bracket really tight and pull the 'guard up and toward the back pickup ring, to close any gap between the 'guard and the pickup ring. If it won't move, try loosening the top bracket screw 1/4 turn or less. It should look nice and tight, like this:

iu

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
As a last resort, seeing that the screw is all the way into the middle of the binding, you "could" just re-drill a new hole right where the body meets the binding. The bracket would cover up the original hole. I'd recommend using a tap to hammer the drilling hole exactly where you want it before drilling, because if you just stick a drill bit where you want it, 99% chance that bit is gonna slide where you don't want it to.

Personally, I wouldn't do that on a brand new guitar though, unless I was going OCD about it and the guitar was past the return/ exchange date. If you do consider it, think about it for a few days so you don't rush into it. Drilling new holes is permanent.

giblesp

Reaction score
Being the forum's official Gibson Les Paul pickguard expert :D, here's the deal:

Yup, they drilled the hole too high, which makes the pickguard sit too high to the back pickup ring, so they bent the bracket downward to compensate. Don't do that while the pickguard is on your guitar, or you'll dent the top.

The screw in my Les Pauls is just about right on the line where the binding meets the body, or slightly below it. It looks correct on your white Les Paul.

From the viewpoint of you first photo, you can try to fix the bend in the pickguard by twisting the top of the bracket clockwise with some pliers. That may help get the pickguard straighter. Just keep in mind that if you use pliers, they'll scratch the chrome. So a vice would be better.

Also, when you're done making any changes, make sure that when 'guard is back on your guitar, and with it sitting on your lap facing upward, to hold the bracket really tight and pull the 'guard up and toward the back pickup ring, to close any gap between the 'guard and the pickup ring. If it won't move, try loosening the top bracket screw 1/4 turn or less. It should look nice and tight, like this:

iu
Man, what the hell is wrong with Gibson. Is it that hard to drill a hole in the right place?!

I put some foam under the nut that's underneath the guard... that's protecting the body but it doesn't look great. Pickguards too high.

The options I can see are;

-Trying the bend the bracket and see iif that works
-Get a new hole drilled and fill in the old one (Luthier, and that should be payed for under the Gibson guarantee)
-Using a srewless pickguard mount. (Love the look of the bracket though)

Are there shorter pickguard brackets, or height adjustable ones? I've looked online but can't see any.

Could always try and make an exchange with the dealer, thing is I want these particular frets. I bought an open box with very minor defects on sale, a '20 model. Some of the Classics for that year had higher frets. Amazing guitar, and really don't want to return her.

giblesp

Reaction score
As a last resort, seeing that the screw is all the way into the middle of the binding, you "could" just re-drill a new hole right where the body meets the binding. The bracket would cover up the original hole. I'd recommend using a tap to hammer the drilling hole exactly where you want it before drilling, because if you just stick a drill bit where you want it, 99% chance that bit is gonna slide where you don't want it to.

Personally, I wouldn't do that on a brand new guitar though, unless I was going OCD about it and the guitar was past the return/ exchange date. If you do consider it, think about it for a few days so you don't rush into it. Drilling new holes is permanent.
No, I'm not too keen on getting a new hole drilled. But if the original hole is filled in and hidden by the bracket, it might not be a big deal.

jmp45

Reaction score

Another tip for drilling I got from R&S guitar works removing a 5 way switch to a toggle (a bit oversized hole) in my PRS CE24. To avoid tearing up the top, run the drill backwards. It still cuts but very slowly and without damaging the top / finish. Maybe when you start to drill run backwards to get through the finish and getting a good start on the new hole then forward if you opt to do that.

giblesp

Reaction score
Another tip for drilling I got from R&S guitar works removing a 5 way switch to a toggle (a bit oversized hole) in my PRS CE24. To avoid tearing up the top, run the drill backwards. It still cuts but very slowly and without damaging the top / finish. Maybe when you start to drill run backwards to get through the finish and getting a good start on the new hole then forward if you opt to do that.
Just wood filler, white nitro on top? The old hole would be where the binding is. I'd get a Luthier to do it, if I take that path. Will write to Gibson, try and get them to sort it out under warranty. Get them to sort out the case, blemish in the binding I mentioned in other threads, if possible.

Got this guitar for £500 off current retail, so can't complain. Cost me £1,380. In fact, some dealers asking £2K now. (!)

jmp45

Reaction score
Just wood filler, white nitro on top? The old hole would be where the binding is. I'd get a Luthier to do it, if I take that path. Will write to Gibson, try and get them to sort it out under warranty. Get them to sort out the case, blemish in the binding I mentioned in other threads, if possible.

Got this guitar for £500 off current retail, so can't complain. Cost me £1,380. In fact, some dealers asking £2K now. (!)

To refinish, I can't help with. I typically destroy everything before I fix it.. ;)

giblesp

Reaction score
Update, Gibson said they'll cover it. Will try and get the other minor issues sorted also; case and blmished binding. Would prefer to get a local luithier to do it under warranty so I could have a chat face to face, rather than get it posted. (This was possible in Portland with my first Les Paul, way back in '05)

Will give an update as to what the process is, and if it gets sorted.

V-man

Reaction score
Check the headstock. Make sure it doesn't look like this:

How dare you! The PG screw would have been drilled correctly then.

Gibson: err authentic!

How fucking stupid do you have to be on a bright red guitar with fully contrasting binding to drill smack in the middle of the binding?!

NFW would I consider another hole unless the first could be plugged and some matching plastic glued/melted into a seamless repair. Even then…

My vote given your sensibilities is screw-free PG. That should be the case for 4/5 Gibsons as it is (if not, no PG)

V-man

Reaction score
Gibson factory....

Guess they’re Murphy aging nuts now.

I did come up with another option… custom bracket.

a bit of a PITA, but measuring off from the screw hole, drilling the appropriate pair of screw holes and there you go. Path to least resistance is the screw-free PG. Most proper correction is my latest suggestion, though labor-intensive.