Worldwide Hazelnut Shortage ! Nutella price could soar

• Thread starter Blackie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blackie

Reaction score
Nutella price could soar amid worldwide hazelnut shortage - British Columbia - CBC News

If you're about to pull a slice of bread out of the toaster and slather on some sweetness, you might want to ease up on the Nutella.

A spike in the price of hazelnuts due to bad weather and disease means the cost of the spread could be about to skyrocket.

Hazelnuts are more popular than ever — high in protein, fibre, vitamins and folate — and many people say they taste delicious when combined with chocolate in a breakfast spread.

But the cost of hazelnuts has soared by more than 60 per cent over the past year, after crop-killing hail storms and frost hit the world's biggest hazelnut producer, Turkey, which controls 70 per cent of the global market.

Even Canada's tiny home-grown supply is in jeopardy, devastated by a disease known as the Eastern Filbert Blight.

With the industry in crisis, Peter Andres, head of the B.C. Hazelnut Growers' Association, thinks the price of hazelnuts could now double.

"I don't think the public has any idea right now, in fact, I probably don't even have an idea. I know the price is going to go up."

"All of the orchards are threatened, they're all dying," said Andres, who is trying to encourage young farmers to take up the hazelnut torch by planting new disease-free trees.

Ferrero look to Canada for local nuts

Regardless of any shortage, Alessandro Fonseca, who runs Trilussa Pizza and Pane​ in Vancouver, still serves up Nutella on one of his most popular pizzas.

Fonseca says he isn't worried about a hazelnut crisis and no matter what the price of hazelnuts or Nutella, people will still shell out.

"I put Nutella on the pizza for people that need sweetness in this world full of problems... When you eat Nutella pizza — bang! All the problem is gone."

.. Say .. what is this Nutella ? .. does not sound like a pizza topping ..

CaptainZero

Reaction score
I'm sure it's delicious, but I've actually never had it, SO this increase won't affect me. And, glad to see you around man!

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I've bought shit-loads of Nutella in the past because I was a hazelnut addict. I've always made sandwiches from them...but lately I've bought a jar of Kraft Chocolate flavoured peanut butter that reminds me a whole lot of, in some ways, of Nutella. It was on sale so I'm going to buy shit-loads of them jars and put it in storage. Go check it out...go check it out!:wave:

shining32.jpg

;>)/

Bflat5

Reaction score
As soon as I saw hazelnut I was instantly glad I bought a big tub at Sams Club the other day. :D

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i love hazlenut coffee but i haven't had that in years and i have never had nutella. it looks like it would be delicious but i have enough health problems and bad habbits covered to warrant i not go there lol. chocolate and hazlenut crisco? i will stick to my cheezeburgers and soda thanks......

Bflat5

Reaction score
yeah that's EXACTLY why i stay away. i'd gain 50lbs if i started eating it cause i wouldn't be able to stop lol. those things are STUPID good!

Yeah they are too... I haven't had them in a few years, but I do buy nutella and only eat very little of it at a time, maybe a few times a week. A single tablespoon has something like 260 calories or something like that.

Blackie

Reaction score
Nice to see you're still around Blackie. How you been?

.. I'm doing good .. got a lot of work going ..

.. just had a little disagreement in another place .. gave me a bit of time to stop in more .. :D