would you trade your jcm900 slx2100 for a 6505+

• Thread starter JCMenace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JCMenace

Reaction score
Someone recently offered to trade me their 6505+ for my slx. The 6505 has the gain I have been craving, only I just had mine retubed and biased. Just looking for some opinions, does anyone own a 6505+ that they love

Xiderpunk

Reaction score
Well can't comment with any authority seeing as have never owned a 6505, however I know people who have. In each case they end up coming back to Marshalls eventually.

I did play a second hand one for sale in music store locally, it has a nice growl, not a Marshall growl but a good tone none-the-less. If I had the spare money I would consider buying one as a second amp but I wouldn't replace my DSL with it.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Someone recently offered to trade me their 6505+ for my slx. The 6505 has the gain I have been craving, only I just had mine retubed and biased. Just looking for some opinions, does anyone own a 6505+ that they love

I've owned both and wound up getting the JSX to replace the 6505. Much better amp imo all the way around.

As far as the trade for an SLX-2100, it depends on how it sounds to you.

Are you talking about half stack trade like a Peavey cab with the 6505 for your Marshall head and cab or?

I traded one of my DSL100's and 1960A cab for a vintage Boogie head and cab not long ago and love the fact that I have some versatility but that's a different scenario.

I'm with Xiderpunk and would add the 6505 to my arsenal but I'd be very reluctant to trade the SLX for it.

JCMenace

Reaction score
It would only be a head swap, But honestly the more I think about the trade, the more guilty I feel. I just really need to play the hell out of the peavey and see if its my cup of tea. My slx is my only amp, so versatility is key. Thanks fellas

anthonyr

Reaction score
Dollar for dollar it's about an even trade so it really comes down to your taste. I owned a 5150 for about 2 years and it sounded fantastic. I felt that it lacked the midrange crunch and honest tube distotion that I was looking for. I replaced it with a 900 mkIII 2500 of all things. On the opposite side, the 900 can't come close too the edgy palm mute scooped stuff that the 5150 had. It's definately a cool piece but for me, the high gain scooped days are over. Clear tone that's large and cuts through is more important to me now.

crunchdaddy

Reaction score
Not a chance!!! :wtf:I remember when EVH switched to 5150 amps and how dissapointing and gutless his tone was (Yuck!!!) SLX is what everyody tries to do with pedals (do not need a distortion pedal). You can plug straight up and get the TONE!!! Not to piss on your parade, but Peavy has never been able to compete with Marshall, always a Marshall wantobeee. No Brainer to me! Keep the SL-X (or give it to me:naughty:):dude:

Rareenergy

Reaction score
I have a JCM 900 Twin Reverb 5881 (30TH ANNIV. BLUE TOLEX) How does my amp compare to the SLX? Let me know i am new to the world of tube amps......I LOVE THESE F**KIN TUBE AMPS. When i first plugged in, it was like holy crap my guitar makes noises i have never heard before!!!!! HELP ME OUT!!!

steelhorse

Reaction score
Do you have a 900 or do you mean the 6100? The 6100 is the blue 30th anniversary that I know about.

The SLX-2100 is an awesome amp as is the 6100, both great amps. Different amps too though. The 6100 is a 3 channel midi capable beast and the SLX is a single channel 2 mode monster that goes to 11, literally.

jorual

Reaction score
Do not change your SLX. I think it is a fantastic amp.

6505 is very nice at the beginning but passed some time you will realise that the rock sound comes from the Marshall.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Well the SLX is going to continue to grow in value and the 6505 most likely will only fall in price. Years from now the SLX will be a collectors item which might be a reason to keep it. I understand you wanting the 6505 though, sometimes modern and collectors amps are not always the same sound you want to achieve.

Shawn Fate

Reaction score
I would take the SLX over the peavey.
you can still pick up a 5150 for $400 here, and there are millions of them.
I've never seen another SLX anywhere around where I live.

JCMenace

Reaction score
WOW! Yea u guys are all right, wanting the peavey is a phase that will end shortly, I have pedals that can take care of that. I would hate to trade my slx for an amp that everyone has or can get by walking into guitar center. Id rather hold onto it...... and if i still want a peavey ill save and buy one. Thanks guys, sometimes you just need pplto talk you out of things.

Ken

Reaction score
I would keep the SLX even if you don't use it. It's one of those classic amps you'll be happy to own. They are not easily replaced either!

Ken

Latest posts