• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Wow Diamond in the Rough find Marshall AVT20

• Thread starter Drdos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drdos

Reaction score
I saw this ad in my local CL for a AVT20 combo for $100, and quickly replied to the ad. Since I had to drive about an hour away the owner only asked for $80. I get the amp home and check it out and yeah it sounds killer. He barley used it and was giving up on guitar playing. I opened up the amp head and what do I discover but a Marshall branded Mullard 12ax7 ecc83 pre amp tube.:drool: No scorch marks. It looks like a NOS unused tube. I never find this stuff. Anyway HNAD!
upload_2021-5-3_13-23-1.png

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw this ad in my local CL for a AVT20 combo for $100, and quickly replied to the ad. Since I had to drive about an hour away the owner only asked for $80. I get the amp home and check it out and yeah it sounds killer. He barley used it and was giving up on guitar playing. I opened up the amp head and what do I discover but a Marshall branded Mullard 12ax7 ecc83 pre amp tube.:drool: No scorch marks. It looks like a NOS unused tube. I never find this stuff. Anyway HNAD!
View attachment 88677
Congratulations nice score on a killer amp, always loved the AVT line of amps

StingRay85

Reaction score
View attachment 88677

There's no such thing as Marshall labeled Blackburn Mullard tubes, as far as I know.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats @Drdos, nice find!

I’ve had an AVT20 for over 20 years, solid made in England Marshall. I especially like the cleans.

You can see it on your left below the Bugera head,...

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
HNMD!!!

That's a beautiful amp and a great deal, I swear one of the best Marshall tones I ever heard came from an AVT. My buddy filled in on drums with a local band, one of the guitarist had an AVT halfstack and I remembered seeing the Marshall and getting excited... Until I saw it was an AVT so I kinda snickered at it ignorantly. Well when it was show time I was blown away, it cut like a razor in the mix and just sounded amazing, I was pretty shocked and it left an impression on me. I have yet to own one and don't know why, I see them often for decent prices, I'll pick one up one day.

Congrats!

spacerocker

Reaction score
Great find!

I have used an AVT as my practice amp for over 15 years now! it is a great sounding, and very underestimated amp! If you think it sounds good on its own - wait until you hear it through an external speaker cab! I put mine though my vintage (1968) 4 x 12 cab, and it sounds awesome!

SkidKid

Reaction score
Love my AVT20 as well but I managed to find a white one with a tan/black grill cloth. I picked it up for $100 and put a WGS Green Beret in it. Sounds good but plugged into my 1x12 cab, this thing rips!

But I get bored and restless so I decided to split it into a head and 1x10 cab. Just waiting on the rest of the material to come in and the head will be done. I'll start on the cabinet this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-172753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210523-172753_Gallery.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 11

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love my AVT20 as well but I managed to find a white one with a tan/black grill cloth. I picked it up for $100 and put a WGS Green Beret in it. Sounds good but plugged into my 1x12 cab, this thing rips!

But I get bored and restless so I decided to split it into a head and 1x10 cab. Just waiting on the rest of the material to come in and the head will be done. I'll start on the cabinet this week.
Welcome to the Marshall Forum Skid! Nice project you’re working on, I’d like to see it when you’re done.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum
Great looking amp and cab, post pics when you get it finished off bro..
Cheers
Mitch

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this amp. Was decent...until I sold it to a buddy for his son. Then it became problematic. After talking to my guy he blamed abuse from his son. I quit feeling bad.:D

Congratz man!:eddie: