• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

WTB 1977 JMP 2104 or 2204

• Thread starter Fish17
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fish17

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1977 JMP 2104 or 2204 combo, lower voltage version with the 1202-164 power transformer. I'm also hoping it has mullard mustard caps like some of the 1977s had.

There are few I found on craigslist and reverb but only most are newer than 1977.

I'm based in Pittsburgh but I'm willing to drive or cover shipping costs.

Last edited:

AndyD

Reaction score
I have a '78 2204 with a B+ of around 360v, but I am in the UK. '77s with mustards are a bit hit and miss to find. My first ever 2204 was a '77 with mustards and that was a lucky find. I would say this, but I think the B+ is the most significant thing about these amps tone wise. The subtlety of a mustard cap is a bit lost with an amp like this IMO.

Fish17

Reaction score
I have a '78 2204 with a B+ of around 360v, but I am in the UK. '77s with mustards are a bit hit and miss to find. My first ever 2204 was a '77 with mustards and that was a lucky find. I would say this, but I think the B+ is the most significant thing about these amps tone wise. The subtlety of a mustard cap is a bit lost with an amp like this IMO.
Thanks Andy for the incite, yes I’m starting to think the same thing on the capacitors. The lower B+ voltage is driven by the the power transformer (1202-164 vs 1202-324)

I’m starting to think that the capacitor has little to no impact on the tone. As a you mentioned above it’s the B+ voltage that will have an impact on tone.

I found a very interesting article on this very subject:

Last edited:

Trouble Free

Reaction score
As Andy said hit or miss for 77 with mustards. they started using the green caps (2 kinds) in 76 and 77, so don't assume.

Unlikely a 79 will have mustards, more likely it would have the brown ones.

Fish17

Reaction score
As Andy said hit or miss for 77 with mustards. they started using the green caps (2 kinds) in 76 and 77, so don't assume.

Unlikely a 79 will have mustards, more likely it would have the brown ones.

Thank you for your incite. I found a 78 local to me and looks all original and it has the lower voltage Drake power transformer but unlikely it will have any mustards or at least not the round ones. I'm going to have him pull out the chassis so I can take a look.

The more I read about capacitors the more evidence I'm finding they have little to no impact on tone. As a Andy mentioned above it’s the B+ voltage that will have an impact on tone.

What’s your opinion on this matter?

Last edited:

rtcook

Reaction score
My brother's is an 1980 2204. Chicklet caps. No mustards. Very nice shape. Converted to EL34 by me. Other than that all original. He also has a 1982A cab. Small check. G12-80'S.

Fish17

Reaction score
My brother's is an 1980 2204. Chicklet caps. No mustards. Very nice shape. Converted to EL34 by me. Other than that all original. He also has a 1982A cab. Small check. G12-80'S.
Thank man, I'm going to pass on the 1980, no mustard caps and the higher voltage transformer.

Last edited:

Trouble Free

Reaction score
Thank you for your incite. I found a 78 local to me and looks all original and it has the lower voltage Drake power transformer but unlikely it will have any mustards or at least not the round ones. I'm going to have him pull out the chassis so I can take a look.

The more I read about capacitors the more evidence I'm finding they have little to no impact on tone. As a Andy mentioned above it’s the B+ voltage that will have an impact on tone.

What’s your opinion on this matter?

The 78 will probably have the white chicklets or square yellow ones. Marshall used a lot of caps through the years even before the mustards, I don't recall any of them amps not sounding good. Although I'm sure some people prefer one over the other.
I agree the voltage would change the feel more than the caps that were used.

rtcook

Reaction score
Thank man, I'm going to pass on the 1980, I found a 1978 locally but it too won't have the mustard caps as they were being phased out in 1977.

If it was a 1977 with the original mullard caps then I would definitely been interested.
In case things don't work out feel free to reach out. We are only about 3 hrs. away in NE Ohio.

Fish17

Reaction score
I ended up passing on the 1978 locally it was a good deal too. I'm holding out for a 2104 or a 2204 with the mustard caps.

If anyone has one they are willing to sell please don't hesitate to reach out.

Last edited:

rtcook

Reaction score
Just curious. What is it you are looking to get tone wise out of the mustard caps and the lower voltage transformer?

Fish17

Reaction score
Just curious. What is it you are looking to get tone wise out of the mustard caps and the lower voltage transformer?
The lower voltage power transformer allows the amp to break up easier at lower volumes. This will be a at home amp.

The mustard caps have little to no impact on tone but if I’m going to invest in my dream amp those Mullards are worth holding out for. It helps with resale value for collectors.