Yngwie Malmsteen Announces North American Dates

• Thread starter Username2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Username2

Reaction score
Of all the players at the 50th concert in London last September, Yngwie IMO was the best on the stage. I didn't think that before the show but his talent and showmanship was amazing to watch. One of those things as a player makes you say... "still a lot to learn"

Like his music or not his showmanship and talent is something worth the price. He will crank those YJMs too.

April

25th - Cleveland, OH - House Of Blues
26th - Totonto, ON - Pheonix Theater
27th - Hartford, CT - Webster Theatre
28th - Munhall, PA - Carnegie Music Hall
30th - New York City, NY - Irving Plaza

May

3rd - Memphis, TN - Beale Street Festival
4th - Chicago, IL - House of blues
5th - St Charles, IL - Arcadia Theatre
7th - Denver, CO - Summit Music Hall
9th - Anaheim, CA - House of blues
10th - West Hollywood, CA - House of Blues
12th - Ventura, CA - Ventura Theater
14th - San Diego, CA - House of Blues
18h - San Antonio, TX - Backstage Live

Aside from promoting his latest album, Spellbound, Yngwie will also be pushing his official autobiography, "Relentless: The Memoir" which will be in stores real soon.

The rock–and–roll memoir of one of the world′s greatest guitarists Yngwie Malmsteen′s revolutionary guitar style—combining elements of classical music with the speed and volume of heavy metal—made him a staple of the 80s rock scene. Decades later, he′s still a legend among guitarists, having sold 11 million albums and influenced generations of rockers since. In Relentless , Malmsteen shares his personal story, from the moment he burst onto the scene seemingly out of nowhere in the early 80s to become a household name in the annals of heavy metal. Along the way, he talks about his first bands, going solo, his songwriting and recording process, and the seedy side of the rock business. Malmsteen was named one of Time magazine′s ten greatest electric guitar players The author′s most recent album, Spellbound , was released in December 2012 Ideal for guitar players, heavy metal fans, and those who enjoy rock memoirs

Just take a look at what some of the top guys are saying about Yngwie

Slash: Yngwie literally blew my mind when he came on the LA music scene in the early 80's. the fastest & most articulate, fluid, melodic, classical based rock guitarist I'd ever heard. Still the best at what he does all these years later.

Steve Vai: When Yngwie Malmsteen hit the scene in the early 80's it was as if a monolith appeared. He was playing electric rock guitar in a way that seemed completely unearthly and had to be seen to be believed. His tone was pristine and powerful, his vibrato, intonation and control was stunning, His harmonic and melodic sensibilities were unique, his emotional investment in his melodies was captivating, and his sheer speed and technical command of the instrument was utterly breathtaking to the point of frightening for some.

He absolutely set a standard of virtuosity on the instrument that has yet to be matched. He was a breath of visceral fresh air that inspired the movement of a whole new subculture of music. He was always unequivocally and unquestionably dedicated to his passions and delivered without any excuses. And since then, the bastard has just been getting better!" I have had the good fortune of knowing him for the past 25 years and have stood next to him on stage many times. It always felt as though I was standing next to a mountain, solid, giant and forever. A few things about Yngwie that some may not know is that he is remarkably intelligent and has a fiery sense of humor that delivers on par with his musical gifts.

Joe Satriani: Yngwie Malmsteen loves to play guitar, and he's really good at it. I know this from personal experience. I've stood right next to him on many a stage, shoulder to shoulder, trading solos, celebrating our influences, taking chances, playfully testing each others limits and putting on a great show for our fans. At the end of every performance I was sure of two things: Yngwie is an amazing guitarist, and that there is only one Yngwie Malmsteen. Let's face it, every guitarist wishes they could do what he does with those six strings and a pick, but what he does is not only super human, it is undeniably unique and original too. There are imitators, some with equal proficiency, but none that can match the heart and the confidence behind his virtuosity.

The last time we played together was at Marshall's 50th Anniversary Concert at Wembley Arena in London on September 22nd, 2012, and I think it was the best I'd ever heard him play. Yes, he's getting better! I was on stage just behind the curtain warming up with my guitar as I listened to Yngwie enthrall the audience with his impeccable and furious technique. But it's his passion for music that really lights everyone up in the audience up. It's the fire burning in those hands that make every note scream. He puts all of who he is, no excuses, no apologies, into every note and every sound he makes on his guitar. There is only one Yngwie Malmsteen.

Zakk Wylde: You have Good Guitar Players. You have Great Guitar Players. Then you have The Ones that CHANGE THE GAME.... Like Jimi Hendrix & Edward Van Halen before him,Yngwie Walks Amongst them. It's not Just his Sheer & Utter Mastery & Command of the Instrument that makes him Amazing. The Phrasing, The Vibrato, The Tone, His FEEL & PASSION along with the Overall Musicality That he brings to The table is what makes him so Special & Unique.... Where other guitar players, play fast and say Nothing, Yngwie Speaks.... If you've ever wondered what Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi & Paganini would have been capable of doing if they lived in the 21st Century, Look no further.... They All Reside within one Yngwie J. Malmsteen....and They are Smiling

Here are a couple of pictures I took of him performing at the Marshall concert in London. Check out Chris George... how many of us can say we played with Yngwie live in front of thousands and have pictures to back it up.

yngwie1.jpg

yngwie2.jpg

yngwie3.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Interesting that he's playing HOB around here. Downtown Disney?

:lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing him. Last time I saw him was back in the '80s where the shirt he was selling had a picture of his hand holding the strat & the back said "Yngwie is GOD!"

Seems he's humbled a bit since then & gained a sense of humor along the way. I've always dug his playing, but some got a bit monotonous for a bit. I dig the Japanese orchestra DVD.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but NAMM jams are held all over & as close to the convention center as possible. There's much better places to play around here. HOB Disney is a square box w/ a balcony. A security that makes the secret service seem tame. Last time, I saw Schenker there for NAMM Jam 2008, I had to go through 3 security guards all w/ detector wands & pat downs.

carnada

Reaction score
Seeing him in Toronto! In my opinion, that's how the electric guitar should be played. If it doesn't sound like malmsteen, I dont know.

Here's a pic of his vagina that I took at his last show :p

guitargoalie

Reaction score
Might consider the TO date, thanks. With the new YJM's, does yngwie still use old plexi's with a DOD, or does the boost function replace the DOD?

Username2

Reaction score
Guitar>Cable>YJM that it.

Since he lives in Florida and his amps are all here in the US I would assume some of those get packed on the tour truck with a wall of YJMs. He has those cool white ones.

When I seen him in London he was using some sort of echoplex also.

matt3310

Reaction score
He will be here in Memphis and I'll be there. I think he will be using my cabs. The Beale Street organization has asked me about renting out most of my gear. They use it almost every year.

Username2

Reaction score
He will be here in Memphis and I'll be there. I think he will be using my cabs. The Beale Street organization has asked me about renting out most of my gear. They use it almost every year.

That invoice must include him signing a couple of those cabs. Very cool. Would love to fly down for the show but will be in Mexico then.

Latest posts