100 boutique pedals into an Origin 5...

• Thread starter Dave_11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_11

Reaction score
[Edited out my original comment] This is a monumental effort to compare pedals with this amp. If you go to the youtuber's video page, the same comparison was done with three different mics. The same demos were done with two other boutique amps.

Put on a pot of coffee, because it's gonna be a long, brown ride.

But!... After not playing my Origin 5 for the better part of a year, I got it out and put a 10" creamback in it (made a 10" baffle a couple of years ago) and it actually sounded pretty decent with MIAB pedals. The stock 8" speaker sounded pretty much like the youtube video above though. I was running the amp clean so I guess most all of the tone was coming from the pedal, but it still sounded pretty good! The best were: Carl Martin Plexi Tone clone, RambleFX Marvel Drive, and a Dan Electro Daddy-O Guv'nor clone. I'm going to keep this guy out for late night low volume playing.

Last edited:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I think reverb is the key to making pedals sound good,
I have a lot of pedals that sound harsh and ugly on their own but with Reverb they rock.
Extra Fuzz helps too but thats sort of cheating because you are overpainting the pedals tone.
Maybe I just like Fuzz and Reverb.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I mean it’s a 1x8, can’t expect 1x12 low end response.

The 1x10 should sound good, not sure how much the cab size will matter. My class 5 1x10 is my fav amp, but it took a solid year to break the speaker in.. and it once got soaked from rain at a gig from a leaking roof and after it dried out the speaker relaxed more again and sounds like it’s punching way above its weight. That might be the true secret to the tone of the gods

Dave_11

Reaction score
I think reverb is the key to making pedals sound good,
I have a lot of pedals that sound harsh and ugly on their own but with Reverb they rock.
Extra Fuzz helps too but thats sort of cheating because you are overpainting the pedals tone.
Maybe I just like Fuzz and Reverb.
I'm not sure reverb is going to help the stock Ori5 speaker much. I've tried to work with it, but no matter what it just has that small boxy sound like in the video.

Dave_11

Reaction score
I mean it’s a 1x8, can’t expect 1x12 low end response.

The 1x10 should sound good, not sure how much the cab size will matter. My class 5 1x10 is my fav amp, but it took a solid year to break the speaker in.. and it once got soaked from rain at a gig from a leaking roof and after it dried out the speaker relaxed more again and sounds like it’s punching way above its weight. That might be the true secret to the tone of the gods
That's really interesting about the water. Makes me want to find a cheap Celestion 10" speaker and try spritzing it with some water. I think the cab size also hobbles the Ori5 tone. I was playing it last night, wondering if I should build a larger cab for it.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
That's really interesting about the water. Makes me want to find a cheap Celestion 10" speaker and try spritzing it with some water. I think the cab size also hobbles the Ori5 tone. I was playing it last night, wondering if I should build a larger cab for it.
Well when i say it got wet, i mean as if it was submerged for an hour. There was a small hole in the tin roof it was under, and rain trickled in on it overnight. I almost electrocuted myself when I reached to turn it on but thankfully I noticed water pooled on top of it. The speaker was soaked so bad I nearly put my finger through it when i poked it to see

I put it in a closet with a dehumidifier for a week before i dared turning it on, and i had to go through and reflow all of the solder as well cause it all turned green from oxidation

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I mean if that’s an option, building a second cab to drop the amp into would be ideal. Go for a nice 1x12 and have a killer 5w

Dave_11

Reaction score
Well when i say it got wet, i mean as if it was submerged for an hour. There was a small hole in the tin roof it was under, and rain trickled in on it overnight. I almost electrocuted myself when I reached to turn it on but thankfully I noticed water pooled on top of it. The speaker was soaked so bad I nearly put my finger through it when i poked it to see

I put it in a closet with a dehumidifier for a week before i dared turning it on, and i had to go through and reflow all of the solder as well cause it all turned green from oxidation
Oh wow. When I read your post I thought it must have just gotten damp, but that's amazing the amp worked after that. If I ever get my cheap speaker, I'll try putting it in a large pan and filling the water up just until it come to the voice coil so as not to get the magnet wet- haha.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I think the cab size also hobbles the Ori5 tone.
Direct hit.
I believe that is why the cheap ( or used to be) Vox Pathfinder sounds soo good. Vox found a magic formula of speaker and cabinet size and it blows away quite a few other smaller amps. Bigger cab not just bigger speaker...

PelliX

Reaction score
Direct hit.
I believe that is why the cheap ( or used to be) Vox Pathfinder sounds soo good. Vox found a magic formula of speaker and cabinet size and it blows away quite a few other smaller amps. Bigger cab not just bigger speaker...

As a not-so-proud Pathfinder owner.... I dunno. Mine has a 6.5" "Bulldog" (MIC) speaker. It sounds a pair of those passive speakers you used to find for your Walkman/Discman and co back around the end of the 90's. Louder, though, I'll give it that. I popped in a speaker out and ran it through a 1x12 Greenback - no compare. I mean really, it went from nigh unusable to "workable-ish practice amp".

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Direct hit.

I'm pretty sure Santiago @santiall said something about the 'oversized' SL5 cabinet being part of the magic of the amp.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
So, I don't have that long to listen to the entire video, but I did just skip around a little bit to listen to a number of them, and I wouldn't say they all sucked. For an at home rig to have a little low volume fun, I'd say a number of dirt boxes into that amp would sound just great. I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of Origin owners saying that the amp takes pedals really well. Nice that the guy put them in alphabetical order so that you can easily locate any pedal you're curious about. FWIW, the Boss DS-1 sounded better than a lot of the "boutique" pedals on there imo.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Monoprice 15 combo has a 12 in speaker cab. Its a smaller cab though. So it sounds boxy for sure. Ive put $300 alnicos and everything thing in between in it and the boxiness never goes away. Now ive had better tones shining thru with the speaker changes but it always has that small cab constraint on it. When i p!ug it into my Crate OS 112 extension cab, whoop der it is. Sounds titties with big ole areolas.(cones)

The video tones were flatulence. Sometimes flatulence is the end goal though. If i had an eight inch speaker id make it fart too.

Latest posts