;

• Thread starter Codyjohns
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. Curious, how loud is that in the room considering you're sitting 3 inches away from a 4x12 without hearing protection?

Easton55

Reaction score
Funny how the first thing I thought of when reading the title was I wonder how close that would be to an early Ratt sound, and you open with Lay It Down, lol. Are you running any noise supressors at all? Just wondering how much line noise you're getting when not actually playing. Cool stuff!

Sailindawg

Reaction score
In this recording I had it around TV listening volume, not very loud at all.
However, I fine it the louder you turn it up the better it sounds.

Great mod & vid. Did you use an attenuator or just set master volume <1?

Gutch220

Reaction score
Sounds awesome. Is that recorded with a cellphone or is the from the mic?
Are the mods permanent or can they be reversed (other than drill holes)?
What's that thing wrapped around your headstock on the les paul? does that make any difference?
Why are the string beads on the Ibanez near the headstock?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. Curious, how loud is that in the room considering you're sitting 3 inches away from a 4x12 without hearing protection?

I just read his response to this, but how's your new one at lower / TV levels?

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just read his response to this, but how's your new one at lower / TV levels?

I sounds surprisingly good at both lower TV levels and "don't wake the baby up" volumes when I use some type of volume control in the loop. Right now I've got a Fractal FX8 in the loop and a volume block engaged to back the volume down a significant amount. During the day I can disable the volume block and we're off the races and full house shaking volumes.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I sounds surprisingly good at both lower TV levels and "don't wake the baby up" volumes when I use some type of volume control in the loop. Right now I've got a Fractal FX8 in the loop and a volume block engaged to back the volume down a significant amount. During the day I can disable the volume block and we're off the races and full house shaking volumes.

That sounds pretty ideal. I'll tell you, man, if I was looking to modify a Marshall, I don't think I'd look any further than a couple / few guys we have right here on the forum for the work. You made a really smart buy on that one.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
To add to that... I'll be honest, I bought the modded 2203x to scratch the Friedman itch and thought I'd play it for a while and then sell it once I got tired of it. Well, I don't seem to be getting tired of it... quite the opposite. I keep plugging into it exclusively, day after day. I fired up my Boogies earlier today and was like WTF ew! The stiffness was really apparent after having not played them for several weeks. They were overly gainy and dry and not as thick or big sounding. After ~10 minutes they started to sound and feel great again, but if you're used to a Marshall or a Mesa and try and swap from one to the other it's like drinking Orange Juice after brushing your teeth.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
...and yeah, thanks for reminding me how good I'll never be. :wallbash:

*crawls back into parents' basement*