12AX7 tube for xmas present?

• Thread starter NickKUK
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickKUK

Reaction score
JCM/JTM front end. I have an additional high gain slot for displaced JJ 12AX7 so there would be no waste.

Thinking of a JAN GE 12AX7 on the Christmas list. Seemed a more rational option than the suggested present.. I just need some thoughts :D

An alternative would be to get a DS-1 or some additional guitar pedal :)

Reactions: J_W

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Sylvania ECGs tend to be microphonic. General rule of thumb: The bigger the plate structure, the more micrphonic the tube.

Having tried many vintage tube types, vs. modern reissues of all the common brand names, I just buy Mullard and EH and Tung-Sol and JJ tubes and call it good. Although I do like a GE 5 star 12AX7 in V2 on a Superlead. Or even a regular GE if it's strong.

NoStringsAttached

Reaction score
JCM/JTM front end. I have an additional high gain slot for displaced JJ 12AX7 so there would be no waste.

Thinking of a JAN GE 12AX7 on the Christmas list. Seemed a more rational option than the suggested present.. I just need some thoughts :D

An alternative would be to get a DS-1 or some additional guitar pedal :)
I believe the best pedal you could buy as a gift would be a TC Electronic Spark booster (proper 4 knob version) Think of the Spark as 3 overdrives and an awesome clean booster in one pedal They make a great "always on" pedal as well. Each of the 3 switching options are different. Mid option is like a tube screamer Clean is Clean Volume boost and Fat is more even gain than the others. I always use mine as number one for testing/playing new tube amps in the Clean position for pushing an amp while not upsetting the amp's natural tone. I bought one for my brother's birthday a while back. Cheers from New Zealand 😄