16 ohm out works but NO sound from 8 ohm outs on TSL100?

• Thread starter DDJ34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDJ34

Reaction score
Maybe I should look into installing an external toggle switch for 16 or 8?

TomCarlos

Reaction score
Did you look inside the amp to see if there are wires between the Output Transformer to the Impedance switch for both the 16 and 8 ohm outputs?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should look into installing an external toggle switch for 16 or 8?
Different OT taps.
Are you suggesting a switch to send the 8 ohm tap to the 16 ohm jack?
1710800884321.png
I'd start with finding out why there's no signal going to the 8/4 ohm jacks.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 8/4 ohm jacks rely on the 16 ohm jacks switching function for ground. Dollars to doughnuts you have a failure of that 16 ohm switching jack, and it's not making the ground connection to the other jacks.

You need to ground the 4 and 8 ohm jacks with a separate ground. Search for dsl/tsl output jack ground fix here on the forum.

The idea of the switched ground is so someone can't plug speakers into all the jacks at once.

Idk if that's your problem here, but it is a known issue to be aware of.

Last edited:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I would not try to play through the 16 ohm jack until you’re sure you resolved the issue. If it’s not making a connection that means there’s no load on the output transformer and that can damage it.

2L man

Reaction score
My quess is that the switch is faulty! If you have resistance measuring possibility connect probes to other end of speaker cable. When you insert plug to 16 ohm resistance is about 1 ohm. It does not have measing as long as resistance is very low. Then test parallel jacks using switch settings 4 and 8.

There is possibility that wiring inside has broke in common or 8 circuits?

16 ohm output should be safe to use even others fave failed. It is wired direct to common and 16 outputs.

Can anyone say why the 4/8 Common circuit use the 16 output JS3 internal switch? That is very unsafe! 100W to 4ohm is 5A RMS and peak currents can easily be 7...8A and typically jack switches are rated for only 1A.

All commons could be wired all the time.
PHOTO-2024-03-19-15-39-25.jpg

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I would not try to play through the 16 ohm jack until you’re sure you resolved the issue. If it’s not making a connection that means there’s no load on the output transformer and that can damage it.
actually, the opposite is true...

that switch on the 16 ohm jack, disconnects the ground on the 4/8 ohm jacks. The 16 ohm jack functions as normal.

You can run an 8 ohm cab on the 16 ohm output, until you get it sorted.

I would get it sorted ASAP though.

This is why those TRS Cliff jacks are not good for this application. This applies for all the JCM2000 amp's, that use this output switch system.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason behind the switching output jacks is covered in post 4.

You will still have ground, and a load using the 16 ohm jack, the problem is the ground for the other jacks is dependent on the contact made by the closed 16 ohm jack, when there is nothing plugged it. Thats where it is supposed to make contact grounding the other jacks, so all jacks cannot be used at the same time.

The 16ohm jack in questions ground switch has probably corroded to the point it isn't making contact anymore when nothing is inserted.

It's a known common issue with the 2K DSL/TSL series.

No response yet from the op. Hopefully nothing got smoked in the interim.

Last edited:

Latest posts