1959SLP higher gain mods

• Thread starter ElectricMagick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I love my 1959SLP but the gain is lacking. I want to do something with it, but have NIL experience or knowledge of amp insides. I don't want to spend more than 100. What mods are available?

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
What music do you play??? Metal ,Classic Rock , Blues???

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding a Lar/Mar PPIMV for starters would work wonders. That may give you the ability to coax all the gain you need right from the amp.

Other than that, for $100 budget mods are out of the question unless you are doing to work yourself. Try a Tubescreamer, Boss SD-1 or MXR GT-OD or Microamp. Even an EQ with a decibel boost will work wonders.

Username2

Reaction score
A 1959 is that holy grail of Marshall tone, but it is not a "heavy distortion" amp. I would leave the amp alone and use it for music that sounds best with a cranked Plexi. Mod'ing a 1959 usally disappoints and can have a negitive effect on the resale value.

There are better Marshall's to own such as the JVM or Vintage Modern if you want something with some natrual balls without pedals. Marshalls are much like guitars in that you can't just own one.

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I play blues but want a greasy tone like Joe Perry. I already installed a london power scale. I am saving up for a 2466, so I didn't want to invest too much more into this amp, I wont ever sell it though. Don't really want to use a pedal, just another thing for me to worry about in the chain.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The VM your saving up for is probably more up your alley than the SLP

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
The VM your saving up for is probably more up your alley than the SLP

I love the SLP for really thick, loud, crunch, but its not the best for smooth distortion. SLP is perfect for crunchy blues, I never thought that the 2466 had as much body as the SLP.

plexifier

Reaction score
There are several minor mods you can do to a stock 1959 for more gain but they won't really give you a "smooth" lead tone. Also, most of them can have negative effects on the basic rhythm crunch tone.

I know you don't want mess with a pedal but that's the easiest way to get what you seem to want. Try an overdrive pedal with the drive very low or on zero and the volume high. It boosts mids that will give the amp a lot more overdrive and sound smoother too (mainly for solos).

VintageGuy

Reaction score
don't think of modding this classic amp!It's a crime!It's like making a mustang 4WD!!!!

dptone5

Reaction score
I agree 100% with what others have said. I'd put a good OD pedal in front and enjoy. For less than $50, try the SD-1 and see if it does what you're looking for. Good luck partner!

Also I agree with Nuke. You can't just own one Marshall if you want to get a variety of great tones!

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I was thinking about an OCD or Robin Trower OD. I am a bit scared to mod the amp and lose the great classic tone.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
There are several good pedals out there that use a 12AX7 as an extra gain stage. I have a Rocktron Silver Dragon. However, even used they are over $100 dollars.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I play blues but want a greasy tone like Joe Perry. I already installed a london power scale. I am saving up for a 2466, so I didn't want to invest too much more into this amp, I wont ever sell it though. Don't really want to use a pedal, just another thing for me to worry about in the chain.

I just use a little delay in front of my '78 1959 and a Boss SD-1 in front of the amp head as a clean boost ......crank it up half way and it sounds like this. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ynDQ4UaVk]Marshall Superlead. - YouTube[/ame]

zachman

Reaction score
Cameron modded High Gain Jose 100 watt SLP here. TONS of gain on tap-- even at TV volumes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3KNzK3oMS4]Brudda Zach 7-8-09 "Journey Riffs" CBIII Hawaii - YouTube[/ame]

The Ozzk

Reaction score
It applies...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRVWuTlU_Tc]Dos Equis: The Most Interesting Man in the World on Rollerblading - YouTube[/ame]