1960 B Build With Details

• Thread starter Geeze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geeze

Reaction score
Finished it up this morning.

When I can't use a drill press I drill a straight hole in a block of wood. I also like to use a backing board on through holes to keep tear out to minimum.

EEe4fB6.jpg

I use a block with an angled fixture to hole it in place to drill the foot holes.

akWUOZx.jpg

To drill the jack plate hole I use a Forestner bit. They cut very square and flat bottom holes.

bRO07D5.jpg

A bit of 80 grit sand paper to round the edge

QcWLMAy.jpg

Back is installed. I had to raid all of my screw stashes as I ran out of 1.25" screws.

u1Wwy6L.jpg

The grill is installed - it needed a shim on the lower edge as there was a gap. Speaker frames don't like flexing baffles.

cPmf8nv.jpg

And the cab is finished.

DQpUrz3.jpg

Russ

BowerR64

Reaction score
That thing looks bad ass, ide hate to transport it thought.

Do you have a "gallery" website or anything? You should of made this a youtube video you may get alot of views and get paid for it and the cost of the build and time?

All my years of messing with speakers and mounting them ive always damaged speakers when the mounting posts were like how yours are. Its easy to damage the speaker suspension the way yours are mounted. I know you have to be slow and take your time but these speakers are awkward and heavy

LRT#1

Reaction score
That is a beautiful peace of work the craftsmanship is outstanding and it is a peace I'd be proud to own

What was the overall cost of the build if you dont mind me asking

mcblink

Reaction score
Agreed.

Beautiful work, Russ. That thing looks awesome.

Geeze

Reaction score
Do you have a "gallery" website or anything? You should of made this a youtube video you may get alot of views and get paid for it and the cost of the build and time?

I've done some vids for work - that's a whole 'nother level of fiddling I don't have the bandwidth for currently. Does bear thinking about.

Here are project pics on Imgur -

https://imgur.com/user/Geeze1987

What was the overall cost of the build if you dont mind me asking

This one was on the [material wise] lighter side rough total was $335 - zebra wood was more than the rest of the wood combined. Then the 35 - 40 hours of labor. No speakers added in cost. This one would sell for $1400 - without drivers.

I was told by a cabinet building friend [custom projects in big dollar markets] that I shouldn't ask for anything less than $1400 for a basic cab. Since I really want to keep this a hobby and not ruin it like I have another so I stay in the 'Art that makes music' price level. I sell some and trade others to feed my habit.

Russ

neikeel

Reaction score
Just struck me that with all the beautiful woodwork how about making wooden handles (frame, large dowel etc)?