1960a with WGS Veteran 30’s and T75’s

DerekLicon

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this combo? I plan on installing them in an X pattern. I already ordered the speakers. I almost went with v30’s but I have been disliking the shrill ear piercing nature of them lately. I don’t play classic rock, only heavy riffing.

Should be here on Tuesday, I might post an in the room comparison video.

DerekLicon

Reaction score
I installed the speakers today.
With my usual settings, these WGS have a noticeable SQWAUK to them. At first I was NOT a fan, they do not sound ANYTHING like V30's. Why they are compared to V30's is beyond me.

I do NOT recommend crossing them with T75's.

I found a useable tone after trying out various EQ configurations on my JCM 2000.

Deep in, bass at zero, presence at 7, treble 9, middle 5, tone shift off. SD1 level max, tone at 11 or 10 o'clock and drive at 9 o clock.

There is a unique, interesting tone that is useable. I am not sure if I will be keeping these things or going to a full 4x4 DV 77 configuration. I will likely make a video with these things in the near future on my you tube channel.

ampeq

Reaction score
I installed the speakers today.
With my usual settings, these WGS have a noticeable SQWAUK to them. At first I was NOT a fan, they do not sound ANYTHING like V30's. Why they are compared to V30's is beyond me.

I do NOT recommend crossing them with T75's.

I found a useable tone after trying out various EQ configurations on my JCM 2000.

Deep in, bass at zero, presence at 7, treble 9, middle 5, tone shift off. SD1 level max, tone at 11 or 10 o'clock and drive at 9 o clock.

There is a unique, interesting tone that is useable. I am not sure if I will be keeping these things or going to a full 4x4 DV 77 configuration. I will likely make a video with these things in the near future on my you tube channel.
The best combo for Marshall tones from WGS is, (in a 2-12” cab anyway) a Retro30 & ET65. I just bought another set of them in 8 ohm to put in the 2-12” and keep the 2 - 16 ohm ones for my 1-12” cab. (I like to keep all cabs at 16 ohm so there is no mistake.) The Retro30 is similar to the Veteran 30 but slightly better for most. WGS’s recommended the mix to me and I love it. If you can, send back the Veteran and ask for a Retro30. If that doesn’t do it for you add the ET65’s. You can keep the cab smooth or raspy with distortion and the cleans are clear and full. No matter what, WGS speakers take a long time to break in. They do sound much better when they are broke in. When I first got these I didn’t like them. But once they broke in they are now my favorite. The Invader is supposed to be good also.

DerekLicon

Reaction score
The best combo for Marshall tones from WGS is, (in a 2-12” cab anyway) a Retro30 & ET65. I just bought another set of them in 8 ohm to put in the 2-12” and keep the 2 - 16 ohm ones for my 1-12” cab. (I like to keep all cabs at 16 ohm so there is no mistake.) The Retro30 is similar to the Veteran 30 but slightly better for most. WGS’s recommended the mix to me and I love it. If you can, send back the Veteran and ask for a Retro30. If that doesn’t do it for you add the ET65’s. You can keep the cab smooth or raspy with distortion and the cleans are clear and full. No matter what, WGS speakers take a long time to break in. They do sound much better when they are broke in. When I first got these I didn’t like them. But once they broke in they are now my favorite. The Invader is supposed to be good also.

I gave it another go and played through them again with higher volume for a while. I think they actually sound pretty killer now.

I am not sure if I am getting another cab for a while but if I do I will consider the Retro 30’s.!

now to find a buyer for these old t75’s….

ampeq

Reaction score
I gave it another go and played through them again with higher volume for a while. I think they actually sound pretty killer now.

I am not sure if I am getting another cab for a while but if I do I will consider the Retro 30’s.!

Testing speakers is a pain in the ass because you can't send them back. I have about 10 speakers to sell myself just to make room. None of them are even broke in but they need to go. (At a whopping loss.)

Mystic38

Reaction score
^ so..i liked your post, but i don't like it.. lol

gazing around here at a bunch of boxes worth 50-60c/$ i feel the pain..

ampeq

Reaction score

If you need a new cab check these out: https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC212_BT I have a 2-12" that has the WGS's in it and a 1-12" that is my testing cab. Both can be run open or closed back, both are made very nice and are cheap to buy. I put side handles in mine, they are cheap on line.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I buy used speakers to try them out BEFORE dropping more money on new ones.

If I'm not liking a speaker that's already been broken in by somebody else (but not abused) then I'm sure not going to like a fresh new one.

And when buying used ones, you can usually get your money back out of them if you decide to part company with them.

You'll only be out what it cost to ship the speaker to you, most likely.

As for speaker preference, I have yet to find an application where Greenback and Creamback reissues (G12M25 and G12M65) don't match up perfectly to a vintage Marshall for anything I want to (or can) play.

ampeq

Reaction score
I buy used speakers to try them out BEFORE dropping more money on new ones.

If I'm not liking a speaker that's already been broken in by somebody else (but not abused) then I'm sure not going to like a fresh new one.

And when buying used ones, you can usually get your money back out of them if you decide to part company with them.

You'll only be out what it cost to ship the speaker to you, most likely.

As for speaker preference, I have yet to find an application where Greenback and Creamback reissues (G12M25 and G12M65) don't match up perfectly to a vintage Marshall for anything I want to (or can) play.
Boy have I got a pile of speakers for you! You can save money AND have new speakers with these. What’s your pleasure, I’ve got at least 8 that can go right now. I have to go new, I can never find what I am looking for used. It would take me forever to hunt them all down and get them in the same room. I’m pretty much done now anyway and now it’s time to thin the hurd. I’ve also got a nice FX-8 that’s like new in case you need to play something through all those new speakers.

william vogel

Reaction score
Boy have I got a pile of speakers for you! You can save money AND have new speakers with these. What’s your pleasure, I’ve got at least 8 that can go right now. I have to go new, I can never find what I am looking for used. It would take me forever to hunt them all down and get them in the same room. I’m pretty much done now anyway and now it’s time to thin the hurd. I’ve also got a nice FX-8 that’s like new in case you need to play something through all those new speakers.
What do you have?

ampeq

Reaction score
What do you have?
I have these right now ready to go.
Emi. - Governor 8-ohm, V128 8-ohm, and 2- GB128’s in 8-ohm
WGS - ET90 8-ohm
Cel. - V30 8-ohm and a 75w CB, I’m not sure about the ohm.
I have all the boxes except the Gov., but I do have a box to ship it in. All are new and still need breaking in, the governor may be close.

william vogel

Reaction score
I have these right now ready to go.
Emi. - Governor 8-ohm, V128 8-ohm, and 2- GB128’s in 8-ohm
WGS - ET90 8-ohm
Cel. - V30 8-ohm and a 75w CB, I’m not sure about the ohm.
I have all the boxes except the Gov., but I do have a box to ship it in. All are new and still need breaking in, the governor may be close.
Sorry, I’m 16 ohm. All 4 x 12