I wish I never learned about guitar speakers

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Subjective topic and I currently have several Celestion speakers in cabs, and a couple that were and now waiting for a new home. My choice:

V-Type

It’s my favorite and I bought a second for a future 2x12 build. Currently I’m running 2 1x12s (V-Type and Greenback). I just like the V-Type’s tone through a couple different amps, but mostly an Origin 20H with different OD pedals in front.

Best of luck on your tone quest!

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
Good heavens, I know this song and dance. When I was working on my 5010s, @pinkjimiphoton recommended the Peavey Scorpion in that amp. @AlvisX recommended a Weber g12 65 copy. And I had a couple other speakers kicking around. The Scorpion turned out sounding rather mid-rangy in the 5010 cab. I couldn't get on with it at all, until I stuck the Scorpion in a Blackstar oversized 1-12 cab on a whim. Oh, hey, there's the bottom end I was hoping for!

The Weber went into the 5010 and it works great - for *me*.

I ain't even going to bother with the other 5010. I'm working on 4-10 cabs and 2-10 cabs for the heads and that's even more of this ridiculousness.

Now I have a pile of other speakers and I'm thinking, if I got an empty 2-12 or 4-12 cab, I could put those extra speakers in that...
Damn it! I'm trying to not have more sheeet!!!

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score

Here's something thats going to mess you up some more...try looking into the eminence texas heat! I recently swapped my greenback for one of these and it really tamed the high end and added a lot of meat to the tone.
That's another one. The Texas Heat didn't quite do it for me. But this was in an open back 1-12 combo and s small closed back 1-12 cab. Maybe it needs more room? 🤷‍♂️

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Because I like to run a 16 ohm 2x12 cab along with its internal speaker . Otherwise I would have slapped in that 8 ohm G12T75 . Which I did briefly try in it and sounded super . Furthermore , the amp comes with a 16 ohm speaker . It has 1 -16ohm and 2- 8ohm total output jacks . So I move the internal jack to the pair of 8ohm jacks in all 2x16 parallel = 8ohm proper load . This way I can have 3x12 total speakers , and continue to break in and use the new V-Type in the combo . It sounds B I G . As well been running it at 20 watts and its huge sounding . No gigs , just home studio . The 20 watts is plenty !

Last edited:

ReWind James

Reaction score
You could learn the basics of greenbacks and creambacks in far less time than you could post and read this thread.

Two magnets:
H - heavy (bigger / fuller / tighter wider range)
M - medium (midrange-focused / softer feeling)

Two cones:
55Hz - warmer
75Hz - brighter

That THE BASICS. Yes, there’s more, I’m not ignorant. …but that’s the gist of THE classic Celestion sound.

How accurate reissues / copies are is another story.

Celestion’s use of the term “creamback” today has little to do with the original 1974 R1C cone cream backed speakers. Unless you are after original vintage speakers, stick to greenback types for “that sound.”

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
See, this is what kicks me right in the ol' Chicken McNuggets:

First of all, I hate playing the "buy it to try it" game, even if there are good return polies. But I really amn't liking the Seventy/80 speaker in my DSL20CR, so something has to be done about it.

So I figure I'll stick with what I know and like, right? My 1960A cab is loaded with G12T-75's, and I've been liking them more than V30's, especially with the JCM 800 and a couple of DSL's. So I orders me up a G12T-75 from Amazon, toss it in my DSL20CR from across the room (just kidding), fire it up, and it's... ok. ...it sounds better than the 70/80 ...but it does sound a little shrill and I've been tweaking the map for a half hour and I'm like, hmm. It's just "ok". Nothing special here.

So I hop on Celestion's website and YouTube, to research other speakers. I don't want to get into greenbacks and creambacks, and be sorting out all the "G, H, K... LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ versions, I just want to get somewhere quick. I've heard good things, good sound clips for the V-Type, and Celestion mentions them as "balanced, a mix of vinatge and modern, and being especially good for solos to cut through".

So I orders me up a V-Type from Amazon, toss in my DSL20CR from across the room (just kidding), fire it up and after about 20 minutes, I'm like YAY!!!! I really like the speaker, ya know? So then I go through the same thought patterns we all do, like "should I replace ALL of my map speakers with V-Types across the board?" - 'cause I'm pretty excited, right?

But then...

But then, I go back out to YouTube and have a few more listens, and I discover there's another version of the V-Type that's supposed to be EVEN BETTER?? :mad: It's called the "Neo V-Type", and it's got "clearer this and warmer that", blah, blah, blah. I saw what's his name demo'ing it, and it does seem to sound a little nicer. (Although that guy can get great tone from 6 slices of moldy cheese.)

This feels like when I saved up for a few years to finally buy my Gibson R9 flametop Historic, and then 6 months later, Gibson came out with the new R9 TRUE Historic, and I was like, "so what have I got now, a not-so-true inferior Historic DAMMIT?" :mad:

So NOW WTF am I supposed to do? I can't just keep buying and returning brand new speakers back and forth to Amazon and Celestion all year, it bothers my conscience, see? But I want the best.

Can any of you people console me? Tell me the "Neo" version really isn't as good as it seems to be? 'cause you know that's what I really want to hear, right? But I feel like I just gotta know so I can be done with it, and it's bugging the carp out of me already.

Thanks.
Have you broken in the Seventy80? They're not as bad as their reputation IMO but it does take a bit for them to break-in in my experience.

I know people say it's bullshit but I had 2 1x12s that had the Seventy80 and I got replacement speakers (because why not). I did a comparison and the one I'd used for a year compared to the brand new one was like night and day sound wise. Hell, I didn't even like the Celestion Gold I replaced the broken in one as much until it got played for a few months.

I trust the people that do analysis but I also trust my ears. Although maybe I'm not that picky either.

C-Grin

Reaction score
Have you broken in the Seventy80? They're not as bad as their reputation IMO but it does take a bit for them to break-in in my experience.

I know people say it's bullshit but I had 2 1x12s that had the Seventy80 and I got replacement speakers (because why not). I did a comparison and the one I'd used for a year compared to the brand new one was like night and day sound wise. Hell, I didn't even like the Celestion Gold I replaced the broken in one as much until it got played for a few months.

I trust the people that do analysis but I also trust my ears. Although maybe I'm not that picky either.
Yep callin bullshit :fever::naughty::duel:

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
just get a late seventies/early eighties g12-80 with a 444 cone.

Hard to find a better speaker for rock/humbuckers.

Ralf_M.

Reaction score
Ditch the combos. Play thru heads and cabs.

Hows that for advice!
Hi,

if the OP should suffer from a lack of room and needs to reduce the volume when playing in a rental flat, then your advice doesn't help.

For the mentioned purpose I'm using a BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium and a Marshall MX112R with the really odd Celestion Seventy Eight Speaker.

This setup completely fails when using an overdrive stomp box and/or when using a passive single coil. It's ok when playing an active humbucker, using the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium without an overdrive stomp box and recording it by using an appropriate microphone or appropriate microphones depending on the wanted result.

This is no solution for clean guitar sounds, it only works for overdrive sounds.

Actually this way recorded overdrive sounds are chugging and the sounds are at least way better than any amp simulation and/or IR.

The unrecorded live sound depends on the room and the position of the cab in the room and usually sounds unsatisfying.

My thoughts to improve the sound are replacing the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium and/or replacing the Celestion Seventy Eight Speaker.

Much likely I'll test another Celeston speaker, but stay with the not really satisfying amp.

Indeed, playing thru an "unshrunken" head and cab in a room with enough space, while noise disturbance isn't a concern, is the only way to get a satisfying sound. Even if the head or cab or the speakers inside of the cab don't provide exactly the wanted sound, the sound usually is satisfying.

The problem are workarounds, such as a combo, unfortunately some of us depend on such workarounds.

When using such a workaround we need to get used to the unsatisfying sound. Replacing this and that again and again is a never ending story. It never will result in a setup providing satisfying sounds for all purposes.

My 2 cents,
Ralf

Last edited:

Ralf_M.

Reaction score
With all that cowbell Vin's got going how will
a speakertype make a fokkin' difference, eh?
Hi,

when recording the cab without the room, quasi recording the speaker only, the chosen microphone, a few angular degree and a few millimeter make a big difference. The line of reasoning is, that a little bit on one side, might result in a big difference on the other side.

While another speaker doesn't help to get rid of e.g. standing waves related to the room size, another speaker e.g. can make a big difference depending on the load, since responding qualities depend much on the volume.

In an optimal situation just coarse tuning already results in a satisfying result, while in a bad situation even fine tuning doesn't help to get close to something that is wanted. However, there's still the hope, that the tuning get us a little bit closer to the wanted sound.

Regards,
Ralf

junk notes

Reaction score
Have you taken the time to compare the technadoodles and find out the why's that you would like a certain speaker's tone; or why you like how it sounds the way it does with a certain map? :hmm:

So I hop on Celestion's website and YouTube, to research other speakers.

I've heard good things, good sound clips for the V-Type, and Celestion mentions them as "balanced, a mix of vinatge and modern, and being especially good for solos to cut through".

But then...

But then, I go back out to YouTube and have a few more listens, and I discover there's another version of the V-Type

Ralf_M.

Reaction score
Have you taken the time to compare the technadoodles and find out the why's that you would like a certain speaker's tone; or why you like how it sounds the way it does with a certain map? :hmm:
The graphs of signal measurements in any environment, e.g. a measuring chamber, with whatever test microphone angle at whatever volumes, are completely useless to find the desired sound.

To see the real audible differences you need to compare spectograms of recordings done by somebody playing your music, in your room and even then you only can see the differences without knowing how they sound.

You don't choose wall color based on how it sounds when converted to an audio signal, do you?

Last edited:

Tincup

Reaction score
See, this is what kicks me right in the ol' Chicken McNuggets:

First of all, I hate playing the "buy it to try it" game, even if there are good return polies. But I really amn't liking the Seventy/80 speaker in my DSL20CR, so something has to be done about it.

So I figure I'll stick with what I know and like, right? My 1960A cab is loaded with G12T-75's, and I've been liking them more than V30's, especially with the JCM 800 and a couple of DSL's. So I orders me up a G12T-75 from Amazon, toss it in my DSL20CR from across the room (just kidding), fire it up, and it's... ok. ...it sounds better than the 70/80 ...but it does sound a little shrill and I've been tweaking the map for a half hour and I'm like, hmm. It's just "ok". Nothing special here.

So I hop on Celestion's website and YouTube, to research other speakers. I don't want to get into greenbacks and creambacks, and be sorting out all the "G, H, K... LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ versions, I just want to get somewhere quick. I've heard good things, good sound clips for the V-Type, and Celestion mentions them as "balanced, a mix of vinatge and modern, and being especially good for solos to cut through".

So I orders me up a V-Type from Amazon, toss in my DSL20CR from across the room (just kidding), fire it up and after about 20 minutes, I'm like YAY!!!! I really like the speaker, ya know? So then I go through the same thought patterns we all do, like "should I replace ALL of my map speakers with V-Types across the board?" - 'cause I'm pretty excited, right?

But then...

But then, I go back out to YouTube and have a few more listens, and I discover there's another version of the V-Type that's supposed to be EVEN BETTER?? :mad: It's called the "Neo V-Type", and it's got "clearer this and warmer that", blah, blah, blah. I saw what's his name demo'ing it, and it does seem to sound a little nicer. (Although that guy can get great tone from 6 slices of moldy cheese.)

This feels like when I saved up for a few years to finally buy my Gibson R9 flametop Historic, and then 6 months later, Gibson came out with the new R9 TRUE Historic, and I was like, "so what have I got now, a not-so-true inferior Historic DAMMIT?" :mad:

So NOW WTF am I supposed to do? I can't just keep buying and returning brand new speakers back and forth to Amazon and Celestion all year, it bothers my conscience, see? But I want the best.

Can any of you people console me? Tell me the "Neo" version really isn't as good as it seems to be? 'cause you know that's what I really want to hear, right? But I feel like I just gotta know so I can be done with it, and it's bugging the carp out of me already.

Thanks.
I like the neo v. Clearer with more highs than the neo creamback. I have used it with the sv20h.

Tincup

Reaction score
here’s my take.

Latest posts