1960b Cabinet, Need Opinions

• Thread starter roxynoodle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

roxynoodle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I came across a roadworn but not awful looking 1960b for $200. I'm guessing early to late 90s on age. Owner bought it used so he does not know if it is original but reports it is in good working condition. I live 90 miles from it so I'm debating whether it is worth going to see. Someone was looking at it tonight so if he buys it, the point is moot. If he doesn't can someone who knows more about these than I do give me his/her opinion on whether it is worth my while to see it?

01212_diW6PVHUJRT_600x450.jpg

00b0b_1e1PVFWtxwW_600x450.jpg

roxynoodle

Reaction score
I just found out the first person there bought it, darn!

But, if anyone has any tips for buying one in the future, I would appreciate it.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience The b cabs are usually harder to come by than the a cabs are..and seem to project more and just sound better, at least to me, than the a cabs. If I could only have one 4x12 it would be a b no question.

roxynoodle

Reaction score
Yeah, I was sad that someone got there before me :( I was really only thinking of adding a 2 x 12, but I would gladly take a 4 x 12 for that price!

Sir Don

Reaction score
Too bad you missed out on it. I'm with Gunner64 on this though, B cabinets have been my choice for the last five years after 30 years with A cabs. I never even gave it a thought to try a B cab for all those years until I wanted a full stack and bought the B.

They just sound better to me, so much so that I now have three B cabs all with gt75's. The last one I bought was last week, a Joe Satriani blue one.

roxynoodle

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Glad to know the B cabs sound better.

Here is an interesting question. I was worried about it not having casters on it and weighing like 90lb. The seller said no, the old ones don't weigh as much, it's like 50lb. I'm sure it was more than 50lb, but it got me wondering. Do the old ones weigh less because they are wood instead of MDF or something?

dslman

Reaction score
A cabs are easier on the back, with the right speaker/speakers, I was able to get plenty of bottom out of my 1960A.

Sir Don

Reaction score
Not sure about the difference in weight, can't say I notice any difference between old and new. That said, I haven't actually weighed any of mine.

roxynoodle

Reaction score
Ok, then it sounds like the seller was way off on the weight. Yeah, I couldn't believe that I was looking at the specs on the new ones and they were all over 90lb and he was telling me it was only 50lb. Mind you I won't be moving it around a lot as I'm strictly a stay at home musician these days, but I did need to get it out of my truck and into the house. I'm a woman so 90lb is pushing it on handling things without them falling. I worry I drive the neighbors crazy bringing home large items and then corralling one or more of them to help with it once I get home.

dslman

Reaction score
The weight diff. is simply the wood, but the B cabs are bulky to grab by yourself in comparison to the A cabs.

RLW59

Reaction score
For $200 and supposed lighter weight, I wonder if it has crappy cheap speakers with tiny light magnets. "Seller didn't know if it was all original" always makes me think it's probably not all original.

"Good working condition" just means it makes sound with no obvious voice-coil rub. Doesn't mean that it sounds great.

I have some extra speakers that need a cab. I'd love to find a $200 Marshall cab with Radio Shack speakers in it. But if you had to buy a quad of good speakers, it wouldn't be much of a bargain.

roxynoodle

Reaction score
For $200 and supposed lighter weight, I wonder if it has crappy cheap speakers with tiny light magnets. "Seller didn't know if it was all original" always makes me think it's probably not all original.

"Good working condition" just means it makes sound with no obvious voice-coil rub. Doesn't mean that it sounds great.

I have some extra speakers that need a cab. I'd love to find a $200 Marshall cab with Radio Shack speakers in it. But if you had to buy a quad of good speakers, it wouldn't be much of a bargain.

If it hadn't sold the first day I was going to ask him to take off the back and take pics for me before I drove 90 miles each way to see it. Then I would have known if it was stock or what was in there, or if anyone had done anything to it I didn't like.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I always do this too. You never know what someone may have stuffed in there. It's also a good Idea to check it with a multimeter to verify ohmage before assuming it is what it says on the tag..I've seen some really screwed up wiring.

roxynoodle

Reaction score
Yep. I always do this too. You never know what someone may have stuffed in there. It's also a good Idea to check it with a multimeter to verify ohmage before assuming it is what it says on the tag..I've seen some really screwed up wiring.

Good advice, thanks! I just found an Egnator Tourmaster A cab from the 80s with Celestion Vintage 30 for $300. It is cosmetically in excellent condition. It is about the same distance from me, but near my sister. So I was thinking of sending her and her hubby to go get it and then I could pick it from her on whatever day, but they wouldn't know how to do that. They are both pretty much hopeless with even simple DIY projects. I'm quite sure they do not own a multi-meter and if I even asked I would get an answer along the lines of, "Excuse me, who would own one of those??"-as if less than 1% of the population would have such a thing. That was the answer I got from them over whether they had a hacksaw, lol!

HiLifeRocker

Reaction score
I bought a beat-to-hell Marshall straight cab a LONG time ago from a British guy who brought it over & was on hard times...I paid $375 for it, had the metal rectangle "Made in England" down at the bottom near the jack... Marshall logo needed replacing, grill was half-assed replacement w/ flimsy frame... Later I found out he sold it cuz he believed it was blowing tubes in his Plexi head... So the guys at Makin' Music (former Homewood, IL location) put an Ohm meter on it, and it was off the chart! Took the back off, two greenbacks in it and two no-name w/ mega-heavy magnets. The speakers were all wired wrong with "am speaker wire"... I used to stand on it w/ boots on & you could feel the pick attack in your feet! Ah, 1990...I'll always take the back off a Marshall now to inspect the backs of the speakers, bring a charged power tool w/ tips to get in/out fast!

Did anyone notice the apparent moisture or water marks about quarter of the way up the speaker grille?

Latest posts