1963 SG (Les Paul) Standard Refinished with Repo PAFs??

Fil

Reaction score
I don't think this was a conversion as they would have had to replace the dot inlays with the traps. A lot of work and the inlays look perfectly routed and correct to the era (mother of pearl). The neck looks like a repair, not a reset. Reset would indicate a different angle and I don't see that. What I do see is some wood filler right where you would look down if you were playing it. And what did they use as wood filler? Dog shit? Looks awful.
I agree with RLW59. It looks like they used a chemical stripper as there is evidence of it in the pickup cavities and the missing binding.
I hate to rain on your parade, but I would pass on this. There's too much that is unknown and would probably end up being a whole lot of work to make it right.

RLW59

Reaction score
I don't think this was a conversion as they would have had to replace the dot inlays with the traps. A lot of work and the inlays look perfectly routed and correct to the era (mother of pearl). The neck looks like a repair, not a reset. Reset would indicate a different angle and I don't see that. What I do see is some wood filler right where you would look down if you were playing it. And what did they use as wood filler? Dog shit? Looks awful.
I agree with RLW59. It looks like they used a chemical stripper as there is evidence of it in the pickup cavities and the missing binding.
I hate to rain on your parade, but I would pass on this. There's too much that is unknown and would probably end up being a whole lot of work to make it right.

In the first set of pics the inlays looked reasonably OK-- enough that we all assumed they were factory.

But those last pics -- that's not the sort of plastic Gibson used for those inlays. Bet if there was a close up of the 12th fret inlay we'd see the filled edges of the dots that were there originally.

Frettboard.jpg

And with the new pics we can see there's no ledge where binding would have been. Which means they either narrowed the neck to match the fretboard (there'd be signs of that at the body join), or they replaced the fretboard with a wider one.

Another thing I didn't mention before is the pole pieces were hitting the bottom of the bridge pickup cavity. At first I chalked it up to the replacement pickups having unusually long pole pieces. But now I think it's a shallow non-factory rout.

And the painted crown inlay on the head.
----------------------
3 grand is low for a clean Jr, but kinda high for a refinished and modded Jr.

But I really do think it would be a great candidate for a Fool replica. Bring the neck paint right up to the edges of the fretboard and the lack of binding wouldn't be very noticeable.

I'd feel a little queasy doing that to a clean or restorable Standard, but that guitar is the perfect starting point.

If the inlays are the right size it would be easy to put in better looking plastic.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
IF it ends up being a refinished junior with bubba “upgrades” then I agree.
That wood is still worth something, guys - I have owned countless ‘60s juniors, early and late - they’re just fabulous.
But it never having been an original standard (the picture of the ugly inlay and pole pieces touching are a clear indication) certainly tells a different story than what originally it seemed to be.

I’d probably lower my offer to 1.5k USD but I would definitely still be trying to purchase that project Guitar and make it a dream 1960s standard, with a history of bubba!

NO current (or even future) Gibson custom shop SG is EVER going to sound like the potential this one has.

Trem man

Reaction score
Its definitely low player grade at best. For 3K or less you can find a really nice used Custom Shop SG Standard. As for the Vibrola - I have one on my 1965 SG Standard and love it. As long as you use the proper nylon washers to hold the arm on place its a great wiggle stick, like a Bigsby.

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
I was offered this 63 Les Paul, it has been refinished, a neck reset, several of the parts are reproduction parts. The pickups are odd as I have not seen reproductions that put the PAF stickers on them? I believe the bridge and tuners are reproductions, although he claims the Klusons are real, along with the plastics, and the last fret is missing. The pots date to 61. According to the person that owns it he has had it for 15 years and the refinish was done before he owned it. Not sure how to value this one as the refinish is not great either.

Any thoughts on what is worth, or if it is worth buying?

View attachment 157803View attachment 157804View attachment 157806View attachment 157807View attachment 157808View attachment 157810View attachment 157811View attachment 157813View attachment 157814View attachment 157815
Re load all of this onto the Everything SG forum. You will get your answers there.

Pave Dog

Reaction score
There are a number of things that are confusing on that guitar.

- There's no neck binding, but the trapezoid inlays are the correct shape and material

- The control compartment is the correct shape. I don't see any indication that it is an SG Junior cavity that has been routed larger to a Standard cavity. The wiring is correct and pots date to 1963.

- The serial number which appears to be 130773 falls within the 1963 range.

- There are no signs of SG Junior bridge bushings that have been filled

- The bridge, pickups, pickguard, and vibrola are not original

- The radius in the bottom of the pickup routs is unusual. These are normally sharp. If the bridge pickup cavity had originally been routed for a P90 that would be apparent.

I'm convinced that its not a converted Junior, but there are too many questions to know exactly what it is. I'm leaning towards it being a refinished 1963 Standard with replaced parts. The lack of neck binding is confusing. The fretboard may have been replaced, however those inlays are pretty much impossible to replicate (unless they were pulled from the original board). It could have a replaced fretboard, or possibly a replaced neck. I dunno exactly what it is. There are too many questions to justify the asking price.
I agree, I tapped out as there are too many issues with it.

Up The Steen

Reaction score
I reckon this is a re-necked SG special (two P-90s) conversion.

I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.

If you pay $3000 for that then you've been taken for a mug.