1968 Super Lead 100 how stock is it and it has a weird serial number.

Ed E Vaygus

Reaction score
The amp has been serviced by Dan of Blitz Amplifiers and he kept it as stock as possible while maintaining reliability and playability, that was about 20 years and has continued to sound great. Since it was 20 years age I don’t remember what was done. It appears to have work done on the rectifier diodes and I don’t believe the blue wires are stock. The serial number is hard to read looks to be 178xx or 128xx not sure. It has a replacement back panel and Marshall emblem. Dan dated it as a 68. How stock is it and what year is it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_2080.jpegIMG_2015.jpegIMG_2016.jpegIMG_2020.jpegIMG_2024.jpegIMG_2021.jpegIMG_2022.jpegIMG_2025.jpegIMG_2028.jpegIMG_2032.jpeg

TAZIN

Reaction score
I would say it's a very late '68 or early '69 build. If the 0.1uF cap on the Presence pot is 160v then I would lean towards early '69. You could check the pots for a date code, and I would expect to see anything from J8 thru L8. As it sits now, the circuit appears to be stock (no mods) but, not totally original. With the exception of the two 100K plate resistors for V1, the components on the board are original. Other replaced parts include:
The 2K/5w screen resistors on the octal sockets.
Both front panel switchs.
Indicator lamp.
The bridge rectifier & its asociated wiring.
The Mains (Bulgin) socket.
The front & back plexi panels...The front panel appears too thin compared to normal originals. On the rear panel, the font used for the serial number is not something I've ever seen Marshall use during this era. With that said, the rear panel could be a factory replacement from early on, or it could be an old reproduction; take your pick.

The transformers are original as are the filter caps.

Joethebh

Reaction score
Sweet amp! I have an early 69 with the same short circuit board

Ed E Vaygus

Reaction score
Tazin thank you for taking the time going over the amp. It is an amazing amp, might be selling just trying to verify year and stuff as the serial number thing throws me off. Just want to make sure it is what it is. The amp was bought around 2000 and played alot until 2010. Now it get used very little.
(The sound guys would always get a little twichy)
Once again thank you

TAZIN

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is wondering about the yellow caps seen in the tone stack and the de-coupling position for the Normal channel at V1... I've seen these Dubilier 0.022uF/400v caps used in a couple of other amps in this time frame and are a 400v version of the normally seen 600v Blue & White, Blue & Yellow, Gray & White, and solid Gray colored caps.

TAZIN

Reaction score
Is this an amp original made for the European market
It appears to be an English Lead so it was built for the UK market. Would need to see a decent photo of the connection side of the Mains Selector to verify that all the PT primary wires are present and connected correctly. Since the Indicator lamp is a higher voltage type (not a 6.3Vac version) there could be issues with the lamp if the amp was run at a different wall voltage (e.g. 120Vac vs 240Vac).

Latest posts