1969 Marshall Red 50 watt Plexi

• Thread starter khingpynn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joshabr1

Reaction score
Yea looking at the texture of the tolex looks like the old shit to me. But the piping looks funny as soundboy said. The tolex it's self seems to be of the proper texture.

khingpynn

Reaction score
I just recieved several HD photos of a RED 68 50 watt that sold for $6800. The tolex and piping are the same in colour and texture and piping size. I don't believe I need to look any further past that for originality of the exterior. On the inside I can see it's the same. Some of the wires to the pots were moved around by the tek tugging them I'm going to neaten that up. I got several vintage NOS preamp tubes that I'm going to try in it. I will also pick up a spare duo of power amp tubes. Any suggestions there? Screen grid resister are going to be installed and I'm looking at replacing the original caps that tested good but I dont want to trust. I'll keep every replaced part wether working or not.

Craig

Oatie

Reaction score
It may be the lighting of the photo if the tolex is original. Inside and the back cover/inside shots would be helpful for the critics.

Screen Grids and some TLC would be kind for that amp.

khingpynn

Reaction score
66SuperTremolo... very very cool photos right there!

Also here are some photos of the interior of my amp. I understand the skepticism and appreciate the expertise. So that aside let me know what you think... re-tolex or original. Re-tolex or not it's a very cool amp I'm happy to own. Also any other advice on the amp would be great. I do need a good Boost.

In this photo you can see that someone cut out a piece of tolex. It was used to spot repair the amp. It appears that maybe an original owner did this and then possibly a second owner just used it and whats happens happens. Or could have been the same owner and it became a work horse at some point.

In this one you can see some chared tolex down to the wood.

This one shows the input side of the interior.

Last edited:

London John

Reaction score
Carl Nielsen was exporting custom coloured recovered Marshall's, literally, by the container load back in the day.....all to the US. There's a photo of him outside a country house with dozens of old amps. Inside the house, in the big hall, was an industrial scale production line.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Regardless...that is one clean, beautiful piece of history, and I am very happy for you.
The oldest I have is a '71 small box, but the old plexi's are still the kings!
:hbang:

Oatie

Reaction score
Regardless...that is one clean, beautiful piece of history, and I am very happy for you.
The oldest I have is a '71 small box, but the old plexi's are still the kings!
:hbang:

_________

For Sure,

It looks mighty fine to me.

To think Led Zep's first Album was released in Jan of 1969 and these amps were 900.00 a half stack back then. The same as a good used car.

Would be cool to see the back of the back panel, that usually gives you an idea of the tolex and the metal install dressing.

khingpynn

Reaction score
Thanx Soundboy57 and Oatie... there is a partial photo of the back panel in my original post to this thread. I'll get a photo of the back panel and post it later this weekend. Rehearsals tonight and out of town gig this weekend. Keeps me busy I tell ya :)

TAZIN

Reaction score
The only thing I find a bit odd about the cabinet is that the back side of the front panel doesn't have the traditional white paint over the black paint. It may have been one that slipped through the cracks.

Oatie

Reaction score
Thanx Soundboy57 and Oatie... there is a partial photo of the back panel in my original post to this thread. I'll get a photo of the back panel and post it later this weekend. Rehearsals tonight and out of town gig this weekend. Keeps me busy I tell ya :)

I hear you on the busy.

The photo view I was asking about is the back panel itself, you show the side that faces out, I was asking about the inside view of the back panel
where the gold grille staples onto the inside of the back panel. Is this painted white or black or natural?

1968-Marshall-Lead-amp-100w.jpg

(Not My Amp, File Photo from Internet Search)

khingpynn

Reaction score
Oatie... got it... I'll get a photo of that and post it later this weekend :)

Reginald

Reaction score
Hi, please does anyone tell me the noun of those golden brass stripes onto the tolex, and tell me also what kind of material are made of? thanxs
EDIT: i've just got the solution by myself. metal threads or metal stripes were never used, thanks. it's a duty Sir, you're welcome!

Last edited:

66SuperTremolo

Reaction score
Sanlitun Soho - Beijing & Kowloon, Hong Kong
66SuperTremolo... very very cool photos right there!

Also here are some photos of the interior of my amp. I understand the skepticism and appreciate the expertise. So that aside let me know what you think... re-tolex or original. Re-tolex or not it's a very cool amp I'm happy to own. Also any other advice on the amp would be great. I do need a good Boost.

In this photo you can see that someone cut out a piece of tolex. It was used to spot repair the amp. It appears that maybe an original owner did this and then possibly a second owner just used it and whats happens happens. Or could have been the same owner and it became a work horse at some point.

In this one you can see some chared tolex down to the wood.

This one shows the input side of the interior.

IMHO it appears a re-tolex. The folds at the bottom of the headbox next to where the back panel screws on look not Marshall standard. Also bottom pic showing the back panel sitting on top, the tolex seems to be lifting right on the edge. That would be wrapped over by an inch and glued down if Orig. This seems only to be glued just over or right on the edge of the back panel and is lifting...... if that makes sense. Fit of the front piping should still be snug in the chanel , it is on my '68 50w. This piping seems to have been removed and then attempted to be re fitted. Right hand post where the back screws on, the tolex has a few ridges , never on an orig tolex, another pointer to me that it has been re tolexed. The Marshall guys / women back then were damn good and tolex work was spot on, this is good but not of the same standard as to suggest it was original.

The rarity and collectability of Cust Color Marshalls created a lot of fakers as with 18w Marshall Combo's. $$$$$$$$$$ involved. MG made a business out of it. Many including major artists were duped.

As mentioned a shot of the staples holding the back mesh on will reveal a lot.