1969 Pulsonic cab vs 6402-cone 'Pulsonic RI' Greenback cab

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPman

Reaction score
I've been always interested how these 6402 so-called 'Pulsonic Reissue' speakers that appeared briefly in the 90s compare to the originals. Finally I have the chance to test them side-by-side real time.

A buddy of mine is coming over tomorrow for a little jam, I asked him to pack his original '69 cab into the truck. We'll be comparing his original Pulsonics to my rare 6402-cone 90s Reissues which are in my '74 basketwave cab. My 69 JMP 50 will be the one to push those things to the limits and a couple of nice vintage guitars. I will do a straight up head-to-head comparison and record the audio and the video of the happening.

If anyone is interested, check back here folks in 1-2 days, I will post the results.

TAZIN

Reaction score
This should be intersting. Since each individual speaker may sound a bit different how are you going to choose which to mic for the comparison?

79 2203

Reaction score
I reckon you’ll love the Pulsonics. Just keep in mind they will probably be a couple of db’s quieter than reissues so try and equalise volumes to judge fairly.
You might also find them darker than the reissues, as in sweeter in the treble and more midrangey. Basically, you won’t be able to just swap cabs without at least some minor tweaking.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
That could turn out to be a pricey endevour if you suddenly don't like the 6402's as much anymore than before the comparison.:ohno:

(JMP preamp still wired 2204 style?!?)

LPman

Reaction score
Here you go folks, I uploaded the speaker comparison. It was a really great afternoon, we compared many awesome amps, cabs and guitars. There was my '69 JMP 50, a '77 MK2, a JTM 45 and a 1959HW (which was totally killer btw). Next time we might throw in a '68 Plexi, a '83 JCM 800, maybe a '67 Plexi as well.

It caught me by surprise that the Pulsonic cab really was noticeably louder (I equalized the volumes in the software). I mic'd up the upper right speaker of both cabs at the exact same spot (I made precise measurements before setting up the mic). In person the difference wasn't as pronounced as in the recording but it was definitely there.

My own impressions: the old Pulsonic cab sounded insane! Had a bigger punch compared to the 6402 cab, had more pleasing highs and a very rounded, sweet tone while also super punchy. It had that kick in the chest quality. On the other hand my buddy and me both agreed that the 6402s sounded really close in person. I've heard comparisons between old Pulsonics and Heritage Greenbacks where the difference was truly night and day, but even after this session I remain satisfied with the 6402s. I think the '74 cabinet also helps in which I installed metal handles. I would choose the Pulsonics in a heartbeat, no question, but I think I can continue working with this cab with satisfying results.

79 2203

Reaction score
Great clip. I’ve always really liked your sound and a huge part of that was the bright, slightly scooped sort of clang I hear in the clips. But those Pulsonics IMO take it to the next level by filling out the low mids and sweetening the highs, making the tone a little more vintage and therefore more like the old records.
Sounds punchier too.
Absolutely love my Pulsonic 25 watters. Probably my most important gear purchase.

Attachments

• EDBF82B9-6ADA-4EAB-9E81-63426EA91E90.jpeg
    EDBF82B9-6ADA-4EAB-9E81-63426EA91E90.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7CA1D2B2-C299-4421-85F7-6FB4FC5631A0.jpeg
    7CA1D2B2-C299-4421-85F7-6FB4FC5631A0.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 8
  • E9C824B5-7989-48CD-AD12-F8FDA6F5B394.jpeg
    E9C824B5-7989-48CD-AD12-F8FDA6F5B394.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 8

LPman

Reaction score
Great clip. I’ve always really liked your sound and a huge part of that was the bright, slightly scooped sort of clang I hear in the clips. But those Pulsonics IMO take it to the next level by filling out the low mids and sweetening the highs, making the tone a little more vintage and therefore more like the old records.
Sounds punchier too.
Absolutely love my Pulsonic 25 watters. Probably my most important gear purchase.

Thanks!

Yeah, I agree with you on that. The Pulsonics definitely filled that space in the EQ. Such smooth, round sounding speakers with that lovely low-mid punch! Exactly what this amp needed. I currently have no option to purchase a set that is in such well preserved condition though as those in this clip.

Possible alternatives? I've been thinking about the G12-65s. I imagine those could be even more similar in tone to the Pulsonics than my 6402s. What do you think?

mAx___

Reaction score
Great demo! Thanks. As for alternatives, I've heard very convincing tones coming out of the Mojotone British speakers in Johan Segeborn's channel.
G12-65 from the right year are also great sounding speakers. He tries them too along with the Mojotones IIRC.

79 2203

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah, I agree with you on that. The Pulsonics definitely filled that space in the EQ. Such smooth, round sounding speakers with that lovely low-mid punch! Exactly what this amp needed. I currently have no option to purchase a set that is in such well preserved condition though as those in this clip.

Possible alternatives? I've been thinking about the G12-65s. I imagine those could be even more similar in tone to the Pulsonics than my 6402s. What do you think?
I’ve had a quad of vintage 12-65’s, a pair in a 82 4104, and a pair of Heritage reissues. Tried them extensively with 2203’s from 79, 80 and 82, plus the 4104, but I don’t think with any 4 hole Marshalls. Overall not much of a fan and don’t hear them as being much like a Greenback G12M. Too polite for my tastes, though I suppose they could be perfect in a bright Lead spec 4 holer.

LPman

Reaction score
I'm finding myself more and more addicted to this sound as the days pass. Sheet! Here we go again...

I have to get something that fills those frequencies in a similar way as the old Pulsonics. The low-mid push, the creamy high-end and that huge kick-in-the-chest type response. Although the latter might have more to do with the 69 cab's birch back, right?

I have a friend who keeps about 4 sets of old G12-65s in his warehouse, both white label and Marshall label ones that I could buy anytime. But he uses and records with the Heritage versions instead. He says the Heritage ones sound fuller. The man is a legend in my country as a musician and I watched him working in his studio, he's the most methodical guy I've ever seen so I tend to believe him.

Hope I'm on the right track with the 65s. I've always imagined them to sound kinda like what I'm hearing from those Pulsonics - a little darker than my Greenbacks with a tad more pleasing highs. I'll give a listen to Segeborn's comparison.

LPman

Reaction score
Here's the best comparison I could find, I really like the 65 here. What's the consensus here about the old vs the Heritage ones? I know they were the most inconsistent speakers, but is there any way to know which old ones are the good ones? Or am I better off going with the Heritage series like my friend suggested?

LPman

Reaction score
I'm also listening to one of my own speaker comparisons I made a while ago with the 6402 Greenback, a hemp cone Eminence C.Rex and a shitty Chinese V30.

The C.Rex sounds totally bad ass with my amp. You can see the settings at the beginning. Maybe I should buy a quad of C.Rex speakers.