• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1971 and 1972 Marshall PA20s, Original and Minty Fresh UK!

• Thread starter surfguy13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

surfguy13

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Got 3 of these lovely little amps and have made the decision to sell 2 and keep one.

As you can see, all 3 amps are in great cosmetic condition and are also all original......as far as I am aware anyway, please see images.

Two of the amps have Bulgin plugs and leads and the other is factory hardwired (when manufactured, not retrospectively).

I will insert some photos of the '71 so you can get an idea of what you're looking at but this post would go on for ever if I tried to post photos of each amp so I will provide 3 Photobucket links at the end of the post where you can find loads of detailed photos of each amp.

OK, links to the Photobucket albums:

1971 Marshall PA20 Photos by guymerchant | Photobucket

Marshall PA 20 1972 2 Photos by guymerchant | Photobucket

Marshall PA20 1972 2 Photos by guymerchant | Photobucket

All 3 amps function faultlessly with virtually zero noise and no issues whatsoever. The only changes to what you see if the photos is possibly the valves, honestly can't remember what valves are in what amp but can obviously confirm.

These amps sounds absolutely amazing and are surprisingly loud too. Both channels are identical so when jumpered the volume increases considerably. Just an amazing sound from the EL84s, a cross between Marshall and Vox to my ears.

In an ideal world I would like to sell these and I would ask £950 each for the two '72 amps and £1050 for the '71. I think these prices are fair given condition and the fact that the 2061X reissues are £1199 at discount!!!

I might trade (swap or p/ex) but I am in the UK so realistically this is only really open to members in the UK. However, I've got an open mind and am happy to consider a long distance deal of sorts. Particularly interested in Fender tweed amps and can add cash where necessary. Also top end acoustics like Collings etc.

I am happy to ship more or less anywhere and normally use UPS as they offer a faultless service. The last time I checked it was about £70 or slightly less to ship to the USA and a lot less to Europe.

Any questions please ask! :)

Last edited:

209Noodles

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but do you have the power cables for them and could they run on the 110 volts we have here in the US? Looks like from the label it could, but wanted to ask.

surfguy13

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but do you have the power cables for them and could they run on the 110 volts we have here in the US? Looks like from the label it could, but wanted to ask.

Not a silly question at all! :)

Yes, I have the Bulgin power cable with the correct size Bulgin plug on the end which plugs directly into the socket on the back of the amp. They run absolutely fine in the US with an AC-AC converter (stepdown tarnsformer). I use them for my my Fender tweed amps in the UK, the only difference being that I have to increase the power supply the amp was designed to run on (110V) up to 240V which we have here in the UK. You would just use a decent quality AC-AC converter to go the other way and drop 240V which Marshalls are designed to run on down to 110V which you use in the US. These are small boxes which cost about £20-£25 in the UK. A lot of people are put off using Fender amps in the UK due to this issue but I have no idea why. It is SO easy to plug into a transformer and then into the mains supply. As I say, in my 50s tweed combos they just live in the back of the cabinet so you don't even see them.

However, one of the 1972 amps has a factory hardwired mains cable installed which means it does not have a detachable power lead. Much easier. That one is available too. It's in the photo links in my post.