• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1971 Marshall SuperLead blowing mains fuse

• Thread starter Arthur Winter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Winter

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think of parting or calling any amp out, though the faceplates just literally looked hacked at. I got it for 800$ a few years ago on OfferUp. It sounds alright, but kind of muddy overall. The main concern is much would any newly made power transformer change the tone? The red ‘71 head was honestly becoming my favorite out of the three usable ones I have so far.
I would be willing to do whatever it needs to maintain it’s originality. When the tech finally goes through it, I’ll see what he says as well.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
As long as the voltage and current ratings of the power transformer are on spec, no, a power transformer swap will not change the amp's tone. Power transformers are just power supply components. The magic is not in them. But winding a good OUTPUT transformer, now THAT is black magic!

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
As long as the voltage and current ratings of the power transformer are on spec, no, a power transformer swap will not change the amp's tone. Power transformers are just power supply components. The magic is not in them
My view is that in a valve guitar amp, the regulation of the PT’s HT winding plays a significant part in the amp’s dynamic response and feel.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
That would correlate with the voltage and current ratings being on spec. Which will relate to certain other factors relating to the HT winding. Its inductance, the wire size, its internal resistance, its leakage, the quality of the wind itself. voltage/current sag under static and dynamic load condtions....that's all part of it.

Heyboer, Merren, Drake, Dagnall, Marstran...we know these are good names. Stick with these good names and you'll get a good transformer.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
That would correlate with the voltage and current ratings being on spec
With regard to PT specification, a secondary winding’s ‘rating’ generally means its voltage at its max load current.
I think you may be using the term differently, to cover other characteristics, the most significant of which is regulation.
A ‘rating’ is generally a different thing to a ‘characteristic’.
2 transformers may have secondary windings with closely similar characteristics but different ratings.
Or they might have the same ratings but differing characteristics.

Latest posts