• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1974x noise problem with footswitch plugged in

• Thread starter batfish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

batfish

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I bought a new 1974x from a major retailer.

Mine seems to have a few issues, and I don't know if these things are 'normal' for this amp, or if I should return the amp for a different one. I'm not technical in the least, and I have a 30 day trial through the retailer, so if these issues are not normal, I'll do an exchange. If these are just normal issues with this amp, then I'll live with them because otherwise, I like the amp a lot.

I did a search on the forums and it does seem like these sorts of problems are common, but the threads always go dead before an resolution is attained. My question isn't "how do I fix this?". My question is, is this normal behavior for this particular amp?

First issue, when the tremelo footswitch is plugged in. It picks up radio stations. This occurs even when no other cable is plugged in. It's hardly noticeable at low volume levels, but if I turn the volume up much past half, it's loud enough to be a nuisance, and I usually play with the amp turned up about that high. I won't play it out of the house until next Thursday, so not sure if this is something in my home environment only. Unfortuneately, the tremelo pedal has to be turned on, other wise the tremelo is active and you can hear it throbbing even if speed and intensity are all the way down. I have two other amps and neither of those amps exhibit these behavior (and one is from the same series, a 2061x).

Second issue, again, at higher volume, there is a metallic rattle. If I put pressure on the metal cage around the power tubes, it is reduced, so I suspect it is this cage, but not really sure.

Third issue, if the tremelo is engaged (e.g. footswitch not plugged in or if it's turned on), you can hear the tremelo throbbing, even if plugged into the normal channel (or not plugged in at all).

Again, I love the tone and feel of the amp a lot and it's a great power level and form factor for my playing situations, so if these are just the nature of the beast, I'll live with it. I understand that a primitive amp such as this will have certain quirks.

Otherwise, I reckon I'll return it for an exchange. I'm reluctant to do that because a) there are no more of these in stock at the retailer, so I may have to wait a while and b) this specific amp sounds GREAT (other than the noise). But if these are truly out of the ordinary issues, I'll return it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dbf909

Reaction score
Hello,

It sounds like your amp has some grounding issues. It could be internal to the amp and/or it could be an issue with your house wiring. I would first try a number of different locations/outlets in your house and see if the problems go away or are reduced. However, based on your description(s) it is most likely that the amp has some internal ground connection issues.

I've had a 1974x now for about 5 years and I've not experienced any of the problems that you mention. It does hiss a slight amount when turned up beyond 6 or 7 but not much more noisy than any other amp I own. I've never had any RF/Radio interference or rattling/buzzing of any kind and the tremolo is very quiet both with and without the original "egg" shaped footswitch connected. You can barely hear it when the volume is turned way up.

I would be pretty disappointed if I spent the kind of $ that these amps sell for (even used) and had these sorts of problems.

You should definitely try and exchange it for another one if possible.

batfish

Reaction score
Hi, thanks dbf909, that's exactly the kind of information I need. If others who own these aren't experiencing a lot more noise and RF interference than normal, then I'm going to guess it's this specific amp and go for a exchange, if possible. If there's no possibility of exchange, I may bring it in to a service center and get it gone over. PITA, if I have to do that, but I really like the amp's sound, feel and form factor a lot.

I have tired different outlets, etc, but it does the same stuff. I have a rehearsal on Thursday, if it does it at the rehearsal place, than that's the last straw, I guess.

dbf909

Reaction score
Hopefully your dealer will fix you up with a replacement. If it is new they should absolutely take care of you.

I love mine - it is a tone monster. It doesn't do a whole lot of things, but what it does do, it does better than most anything else I've heard.

cornhusker86

Reaction score
I read somewhere this is the amp Angus Young uses as a warm-up/practice amp. Can anyone verify that?

Masliko

Reaction score
I read somewhere this is the amp Angus Young uses as a warm-up/practice amp. Can anyone verify that?
He uses JTM45's to do this since the late 90'sThere was an article in Australia about this some time ago & Angus's main FOS/studio sound is a cranked JTM45 that he runs in a iso cab under the stage.He uses 100w's for stage fill and 45's in ears.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I bought a new 1974x from a major retailer.

Mine seems to have a few issues, and I don't know if these things are 'normal' for this amp, or if I should return the amp for a different one. I'm not technical in the least, and I have a 30 day trial through the retailer, so if these issues are not normal, I'll do an exchange. If these are just normal issues with this amp, then I'll live with them because otherwise, I like the amp a lot.

I did a search on the forums and it does seem like these sorts of problems are common, but the threads always go dead before an resolution is attained. My question isn't "how do I fix this?". My question is, is this normal behavior for this particular amp?

First issue, when the tremelo footswitch is plugged in. It picks up radio stations. This occurs even when no other cable is plugged in. It's hardly noticeable at low volume levels, but if I turn the volume up much past half, it's loud enough to be a nuisance, and I usually play with the amp turned up about that high. I won't play it out of the house until next Thursday, so not sure if this is something in my home environment only. Unfortuneately, the tremelo pedal has to be turned on, other wise the tremelo is active and you can hear it throbbing even if speed and intensity are all the way down. I have two other amps and neither of those amps exhibit these behavior (and one is from the same series, a 2061x).

Second issue, again, at higher volume, there is a metallic rattle. If I put pressure on the metal cage around the power tubes, it is reduced, so I suspect it is this cage, but not really sure.

Third issue, if the tremelo is engaged (e.g. footswitch not plugged in or if it's turned on), you can hear the tremelo throbbing, even if plugged into the normal channel (or not plugged in at all).

Again, I love the tone and feel of the amp a lot and it's a great power level and form factor for my playing situations, so if these are just the nature of the beast, I'll live with it. I understand that a primitive amp such as this will have certain quirks.

Otherwise, I reckon I'll return it for an exchange. I'm reluctant to do that because a) there are no more of these in stock at the retailer, so I may have to wait a while and b) this specific amp sounds GREAT (other than the noise). But if these are truly out of the ordinary issues, I'll return it.

Thanks!

A. RFI Radio Frequency Interference
Eliminated by use of Ferrite beads on wires. Learn about it:
Palomar Engineers

B. Tremolo throbbing is normal in most tremolo amplifiers, including Fender, etc...
However some mod could be done to shut it off entirely.

C. Rattles
Will require some creative solutions, such as rubber O rings installed on tube shield covers, etc...

However, most of these issues exist in all guitar amps. There is nothing unusual here.
Boogie amps have the same exact issues, Bogner has the same issues, etc...etc...
As time goes on, designs will improve.

rickym

Reaction score
If you don't use the trem, try plugging in a shorted plug in the footswitch jack. Worked for me! :)

Latest posts