1976 IBANEZ DESTROYER 20 GRAND,I'LL TAKE 2 ?

• Thread starter Exotic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Exotic

Reaction score
well yeah i will be the first to say EVH's sound was the best of all time ,but i meant a super 70 sounds weak to my taste which leans towards a hotter type pu like a dimarzio crunchlab . plus i have read no one really knows what pu was in the destroyer at the time of the recording , plus it's not so much the pu but more so the marshall amp dimed out in conjunction with a 6 band eq and the phaser and the flanger and echoplex ,and don't forget the studio magic ,my 2 cents .

pittbull

Reaction score
Exotic,true we really don’t know if the super 70s was in the destroyer for the recording of Van Halen 1 I believe the studio played a major part even with the equipment you just listed above and many have tried that same equipment still doesn’t account for the sound on Van Halen 1 the recorded sound.Eddie’s live sound in 1978( tour)would account for the equipment you listed if you get what I’m saying

junk notes

Reaction score
well yeah i will be the first to say EVH's sound was the best of all time ,but i meant a super 70 sounds weak to my taste which leans towards a hotter type pu like a dimarzio crunchlab . plus i have read no one really knows what pu was in the destroyer at the time of the recording , plus it's not so much the pu but more so the marshall amp dimed out in conjunction with a 6 band eq and the phaser and the flanger and echoplex ,and don't forget the studio magic ,my 2 cents .

Exotic,true we really don’t know if the super 70s was in the destroyer for the recording of Van Halen 1 I believe the studio played a major part even with the equipment you just listed above and many have tried that same equipment still doesn’t account for the sound on Van Halen 1 the recorded sound.Eddie’s live sound in 1978( tour)would account for the equipment you listed if you get what I’m saying

Atleast there are some clues up to W&CF .
Chris Holmes:

Is it true that Eddie Van Halen used one of your guitars on an early Van Halen album? —Ron Wysocki

Yeah. I grew up in the town that borders Pasadena, and back then Van Halen would play backyard parties. I probably saw them play about 50 or 60 of ’em. I met Eddie at a party and we became friends. He just has real talent. A big inspiration to me. I don’t really try to play like him but just being around the environment and stuff, there’s a lot of things I learned. Anyway, the guitar was an Ibanez Destroyer. He had one and I had gotten the same exact guitar. It was from probably 1977.

And in ’78 I got in a motorcycle accident and I was laid up in a hospital. Eddie had just gotten off the first Van Halen tour and he had taken his guitar and cut a big V out of the back of it. And it changed the tone of the guitar. Made it a lot more trebly. And he knew I had one and so he came and visited me in the hospital and asked to borrow it for their record. And I said, “Yeah.” And he left his V, the one that he cut up, at the house so I had a guitar when I got home. The one on the cover of Women and Children First is the one he loaned to me. And he used mine on Van Halen II or Women and Children First.

Then he went out on the road and I got out of the hospital. I wanted my guitar back so I went over to his mom’s. I go, “Hey, my guitar’s here…” And she said, “Look in his room.” I went back in his room and found it and it didn’t even have a bridge or a pickup in it, the prick! [laughs]

Chris Holmes' guitar - Super70 (&/harmonica):

Wolfy hollding Ed's.original hack job that ruined the tone, that led up to borrowing C.H. Destroyer for the album:
destroyer.jpg

pittbull

Reaction score
The pickup that’s in the shark pictured above that’s a Mighty Mite 1300 distortion pickup

junk notes

Reaction score
The pickup that’s in the shark pictured above that’s a Mighty Mite 1300 distortion pickup

The pickup that’s in the C.H. Ibanez Destroyer pictured above has an Ibanez Super 70 pickup(s).

pittbull

Reaction score
I was talking about Eddie’s shark that’s a Mighty Mite 1300 distortion pickup

Exotic

Reaction score
this is all very interesting thanks for that .
a white super 70 ,what a trip ,the ones i seen with the gold or silver cover off have all been black .

pittbull

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a super 70 clone I had a few made for me they were all custom hand wound and sound excellent pm me if your interested

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
I love vintage guitars, and have paid a lot of $$ for several..No regrets whatsoever.

But I have a bit of a problem with seeing an Ibanez that someone is trying to sell for a lot more $$ than one would pay for something like a 50's or 60's Gibson, Fender, or Martin..Really? An Ibanez?!

One can get a really nice 60's era Explorer for WAYYY less than that, and that's the guitar that Ibanez copied to come up with the Destroyer.

I noticed it's not exactly turned into a bidding war for that one..:lol:

pittbull

Reaction score
The reason for the high price of that Ibanez Destroyer is because of Eddie Van Halen using that guitar on the first three Van Halen albums plus it’s an all original guitar

Crank It

Reaction score
Korina2459_1975.jpeg I almost bought one new back in the day. No matter though. I was still young and stupid and I'm sure I would not still have it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it again- Go buy a Greco or Burny/Fernandes or Tokai Explorer for 1/10th that. Exact same guitar, made by the same factories to the same spec except for pickups and other minor hardware differences*. I had a 80 Fernandes which barring the fuggly paint and crappy pickups is the same exact guitar. I think I paid $299 for it + shipping from Japan. It was a noticeable step up from say an MIK Epiphone, but felt cheap compared to a Gibson (very similar to a modern day Edwards MIJ).

As for Explorers- my very first Gibson guitar was a 76 Bicentennial Explorer- the best Explorer I ever owned by far out of roughly a dozen Gibsons. I wouldn't pay for what they are asking and they are order of magnitude better guitars than those MIJ clones of the same time period. Don't let the anti Norlin hype cloud your judgement. Les Pauls and SGs are one thing- they went through massive changes- Explorers and Vs of the time were great guitars, and mostly it was the very late 70s/early 80s where they started to get weird.

*Sorry EVH fans, Super70s are way overrated. Not a holy grail pickup. They just threw a more powerful (and darker sounding) A8 magnet in the anemic sounding A3 Super 58. In fact all the "famous" MIJ pickups are way overrated IME-Super 58s, various Super D clones, Dry Z, etc. Compared to actual various PAFs, early/late PAT #s, and booteek clones of today that I've played they are not even on the same scale. They compare favorably with other production winders like Duncan, and Dimarzio and I guess you had a weak/brittle sounding mismatched parts bastard T top like so many Gibsons of the late 70s did, getting your hands on a Greco/Ibby/Tokai with a "paf clone" like a Dry Z was probably a real improvement - just like getting an early set of Duncan 59s or Larry's PAF would be. It's all relative. Of course that hype has carried out over the decades from the MIJ guitar community.
If I'm being honest, I wouldn't be any more likely to buy a greco or Tokai for $2k than I would an Ibanez for $20k. Both would be absurd to me.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
View attachment 118089 I almost bought one new back in the day. No matter though. I was still young and stupid and I'm sure I would not still have it.
I noticed that they slipped "explore" into that ad..Nice bit of subliminal advertising, along with the "grand's worth of sound for only $395.00"!

Damn, I wish I could still get an Explorer for only a grand..:lol:

cccc

Reaction score

Studio magic my ass , go listen to 78 Van Halen live video's on their first UK tour and they sound identical to the first album regardless of where they played.

Exotic

Reaction score

Latest posts