• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1977 JMP Super Lead MK2 NMV Fawn

• Thread starter fender101punk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fender101punk

Reaction score
Currently in the market for a different head. Considering a 70's JMP. I'm looking at a 77 100 watt super lead MK2. Fawn tolex. Excellent condition. From what I've read, in the late 70's Marshall made a bunch of little changes to the amp line. This is before the 2203/JCM800 circuit I believe because of the 4 inputs. Converted to JJ EL34's I believe.

I've owned two '82 JCM800 2204's and they were super loud. Nevermind a 2203. I'm just looking for opinions on the amp. Non master volume. I would be using pedals to get some dirt for heavier playing (alexisonfire like). What is this head even worth?

fender101punk

Reaction score
MarshallJMP1977%20014.jpg

fender101punk

Reaction score
Anyone else want to chime in on the quality and value? I have a feeling the US market is much different than it is over here in Canada.. but still nice to get some opinions

lewis_grey

Reaction score
That's a Super Lead and won't really have a lot in common with the 2204's you've had. Non Master amps will basically stay completely clean until nuclear volume levels, you'd have to use a pedal for all of your overdrive at lower volumes. The only option to get natural distortion from those amps for most people is an attenuator which is not ideal.

A JMP 2203/4 would have much more in common with a JCM 800, same circuit save some components here and there.

Hope this helps!

Kylelagz

Reaction score
Yea unless you want to use an attenuator youll have to use an od pedal. I have a 79 jmp 2204 and the only other pedal i use is a green rhino. perfect for hardcore punk, punk, post, emo, doom, whatever. if you can find a way to get drive without making your ears bleed id say any NMV would do the job, just matters how YOU use it.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove power tubes to safely run the head at 50W?

A few folk remove the 2 outer valves. I don't bother, 100w isn't much different to 50w in terms of volume and as the circuit is designed for 4 valves, I use all 4.

Cheers,

Matt.