1984 Gibson Explorer before and after

• Thread starter The Ozzk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coronado

Reaction score
I really dig the way that bad boy looks Ozzk!! Came out SO nice!! :yesway::yesway:

Derek S

Reaction score
Add me to the list that likes the "after" look too, looks great now!

axe arsenal

Reaction score
I am going to be honest, I liked the look of pickups with covers.
And I prefer an Explorer with a pickguard (but a plain white or black, not that one that was on the guitar).
Just my opinion, don't shoot me for being honest:hmm:

vinceB

Reaction score
I have an 85 that started out black but we stripped it down and I put a satin finish on it. It looks very very similar. Mines a bit darker though and the neck is maple. I swapped out the Kahler for a TOM.

vinceB

Reaction score
oh yeah, it's on the way to being something. it's got an 80's look now.

it's a big chunk of wood to not have some more contrast in it's ornament.

I just watched a TV show where a guy was testing out first edition steam trains. on 1 of the trains they actually showed the floor with the tread pattern in the metal. it looked incredible and suited the job of the pattern.
the raised surface of the tread was bright shinny metal and the flat surface on the bottom was all black painted.
perfect for steam trains, or stairs, crap for guitars. the plectrum will hit those raised surface patterns.

your guitar had pickups with covers, and now it's got bobbins exposed pickups. are they the same?
which model pickups?
That guitar would have likely come from the factory with "Dirty Fingers". That's what mine has. Those would have been uncovered. Plus that guitar would not have come from the factory with any pickguard. It looks way closer to stock now.:hbang:

The Ozzk

Reaction score
That guitar would have likely come from the factory with "Dirty Fingers". That's what mine has. Those would have been uncovered. Plus that guitar would not have come from the factory with any pickguard. It looks way closer to stock now.:hbang:

:agreed:

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who misses the diamond plate pick guard. Whatever man.:scratch:

Kidding, looks great brother. Can't wait till you get bored with it and sell it to me at a very reasonable price.:applause:

dreyn77

Reaction score
thanks for the info vinceB! much appreciated.

vinceB

Reaction score
Mine is a bit of an odd one because it's a factory second with a maple neck and I can't find anything anywhere about Gibson making them with maple necks. It's a pretty killer guitar though. Explorers sound so beefy. Like an SG on steroids. The locking "nut" sucks though. It's actually behind the nut and has to come off to adjust the truss rod. PITA.