1984 Jcm800 2203 Value?

• Thread starter stilllifer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stilllifer

Reaction score
Good afternoon gang. I have been looking at this '84 JCM800 2203 (head only) with vertical input and am wondering its' value? Seller says it's a CSA model (makes sense with toggle switches) and cloth/logo was changed out to match a 2x12 cab he had. I have a 2210 from '89 that is great but...well it's not a 2203! Different flavour as you all know. I only have these 2 pics at the moment and waiting for a pic of the serial number to verify the year...
Let me know your thoughts - appreciated in advance!
Geoff

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Cant tell how clean the cab and faceplate are in the pics. The chassis looks clean BUT looks like its been modded???

My guesstimate would be maybe 1100-1200 with the mod (whatever it is) and the fact that the cloth and logo have been changed. This is assuming there are no issues with the amp and everything else is original except tubes and filter caps of course.

I woukd look on Reverb and ebay and see what ones similar are listed for and selling for, its the best way IMO.

stilllifer

Reaction score
Cant tell how clean the cab and faceplate are in the pics. The chassis looks clean BUT looks like its been modded???

My guesstimate would be maybe 1100-1200 with the mod (whatever it is) and the fact that the cloth and logo have been changed. This is assuming there are no issues with the amp and everything else is original except tubes and filter caps of course.

I woukd look on Reverb and ebay and see what ones similar are listed for and selling for, its the best way IMO.

Thanks Dog! I am only looking at the head. What makes you say it's modded?

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hello.
I agree that it appears to have been modified (there appears to be some curious wiring internally and there might be a switch on the back; there may also be some front panel changes, but I can't be certain due to the glare) but purpose of the mod I can't say. The front cloth and logo seem to be in good condition, but how people feel about those changes will vary.

What can't see are whether the transformers are original. If I were a potential buyer, that would greatly interest me. Additionally, I'd ask how many hours have been put into all tubes (but especially the power tubes).

For pricing, you can certainly check ebay, craigslist, and any other publication you wish. I would also suggest looking at the pricing of similar used models at guitar center, sam ash, and local pawn shops if you have the time. If possible, what you want to do is find the best representation of the same amp on the used market, then judge both on things like general wear and tear, modifications, status of significant components (e.g. changed transformers), and sound, then start adjusting the pricing either way for the actual amp you want to buy.

I can only speak for myself, but if it has different transformers, I'd be inclined to put it at about $900-950USD (price may change a little depending on the specs of the replacement. If the original transformers are present but it's been modified, I'd put it at about $1000USD depending on the extent of the modification and the degree to which it is reversible (e.g. if holes were drilled, then I put it back in the $900-950 category). If it's got different transformers and had extensive mods, I'd give the the seller the middle finger and walk away-there are better representations of a JCM800 2203 on the market that are more worthy of my time and money, but that's just me.

Last edited:

stilllifer

Reaction score
Hello.
I agree that it appears to have been modified (there appears to be some curious wiring internally and there might be a switch on the back; there may also be some front panel changes, but I can't be certain due to the glare) but purpose of the mod I can't say. The front cloth and logo seem to be in good condition, but how people feel about those changes will vary.

What can't see are whether the transformers are original. If I were a potential buyer, that would greatly interest me. Additionally, I'd ask how many hours have been put into all tubes (but especially the power tubes).

For pricing, you can certainly check ebay, craigslist, and any other publication you wish. I would also suggest looking at the pricing of similar used models at guitar center, sam ash, and local pawn shops if you have the time. If possible, what you want to do is find the best representation of the same amp on the used market, then judge both on things like general wear and tear, modifications, status of significant components (e.g. changed transformers), and sound, then start adjusting the pricing either way for the actual amp you want to buy.

Thanks Monsters. Yes I have already asked the seller about the transformers and that switch but don't have an answer back. Didn't know if there was something else I didn't see (I am no where near an expert!). The power tubes are apparently new and amp was just biased by a certified tech.

stilllifer

Reaction score
It looks like there is a toggle switch installed in the back.

I know you are looking at the head only. I was referring to the condition of the amp cosmetics only.

Yep thanks I did see the toggle switch and waiting for a reply. Appreciate you looking at it for me!

tschrama

Reaction score
In Europe a JMP 2203 could sell for 900 to 1100 Euro. A JCM800 slightly less. Non original front panel would certainly dévalue the amp. 1000 dollar max.. just guessing.

Biased by a 'tech' or 'new' tubes are a non-argument...

stilllifer

Reaction score
In Europe a JMP 2203 could sell for 900 to 1100 Euro. A JCM800 slightly less. Non original front panel would certainly dévalue the amp. 1000 dollar max.. just guessing.

Biased by a 'tech' or 'new' tubes are a non-argument...

Thanks. The biasing and new tubes were just a statement that the tubes were non-original.
BTW. The seller says the toggle switch on the back is an ohm switch for CSA standard. 8 or 4ohms only - no 16ohm tap. I know our good Canadian Standards Association made some changes to these amps for our Cdn market. I had a 2205 from '890 a couple of years ago that was a CSA amp but there was no toggle switch tap like this one. Only a toggle for the on/off power instead of a rocker switch.