1987 50 watt Lead Series

Glitch6555

Reaction score
I’m having a Terrible issue with my 1987 50 watt head. I normally turn the power on and leave it in standby for 30 minutes before I start using it. I turn the standby off, and after a while it just hums so loud you must turn it off ASAP! I’ve tried to run my guitar straight to the head when this happens, but makes no difference. I just turn it off and wait for it to cool down and then it’s the same thing. My real problem is I don’t know who to send it to for repair? I’ve took the back panel off and everything looks fine. I’m in Hickory , NC. Would any of you guys have any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    670 KB · Views: 12

LyseFar

Reaction score
It is a 2205 not a 1987…unless 1987 is the build year…:)
But yes probably a bad power tube. Or the reverb tank … bad connection. Try cleaning the reverb tank connectors.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I normally turn the power on and leave it in standby for 30 minutes before I start using it.
Why?
The amp only needs a few minutes at the most to reach operating voltages.
I’ve took the back panel off and everything looks fine.
Tubes can look fine and not function properly.
I'd try some known good tubes before you start dropping coin on a tech.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I’m having a Terrible issue with my 1987 50 watt head. I normally turn the power on and leave it in standby for 30 minutes before I start using it. I turn the standby off, and after a while it just hums so loud you must turn it off ASAP! I’ve tried to run my guitar straight to the head when this happens, but makes no difference. I just turn it off and wait for it to cool down and then it’s the same thing. My real problem is I don’t know who to send it to for repair? I’ve took the back panel off and everything looks fine. I’m in Hickory , NC. Would any of you guys have any suggestions?
I agree that is sounds like it's possibly a power tube. Look in the back when it starts humming, see if either power tube is glowing brighter or red-plating.

Latest posts