1987 Kramer EK repair to Holy Grail Replica

• Thread starter ToneWitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deftone

Reaction score
That’s awesome man. I have been playing gibsons exclusively for the last 8 years or so. Convinced myself they were amazing. But really it was time to stop kidding myself they lack quality and craftsmanship. Unless you have something pre 1990’s. My SG’s have to be set up every couple weeks it seems like, never stay in tune, feels like I’m fighting the guitar to play fast and accurate. I finally sold my SG standard last weekend. I really grew to despise that guitar whole heartedly. Just was an expensive piece of junk. I don’t think I’m going to sell my SG special Zebra because it actually plays decent compared to the standard and isn’t as persnickety about being set up. G string never stays in tune no matter what I do on any of them. Just a piss poor design. I have replaced nuts, filed them so string angle is better post nut, swapped tuners, everything besides put a Floyd on them. They just don’t stay in tune.
Ha! You're right, Gibson's don't stay in tune. Besides the head stock and string angle after the nut, (IMHO) it's the Mahogany neck. Maple is way more stable and a graphite nut or some nut lube helps. They have made some maple neck variations over the years (Besides the Norlin years) They fixed the head stock angle and used a Maple neck during the Norlin years but the purists balked. Whenever Gibson updates a design the purists cry about it. I love the Gibson tone though...especially the LP. To me it's the standard.

But yea, every time I pick up that Charvel it plays perfect and it's in tune and rock solid, even with an OFR. (Which IMHO helps tuning stability)

ToneWitch

Reaction score
Ha! You're right, Gibson's don't stay in tune. Besides the head stock and string angle after the nut, (IMHO) it's the Mahogany neck. Maple is way more stable and a graphite nut or some nut lube helps. They have made some maple neck variations over the years (Besides the Norlin years) They fixed the head stock angle and used a Maple neck during the Norlin years but the purists balked. Whenever Gibson updates a design the purists cry about it. I love the Gibson tone though...especially the LP. To me it's the standard.

But yea, every time I pick up that Charvel it plays perfect and it's in tune and rock solid, even with an OFR. (Which IMHO helps tuning stability)
That’s the most satisfying part is picking one of these up and it’s always in perfect tune.

ToneWitch

Reaction score
It’s all 2K automotive solvent based. Very resilient. Should last years and years to come. The clear is the highest quality money can buy. We don’t skimp on our paint jobs at the shop.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
Did you paint the bumper cover to match the guitar or vise verse? LOL Looks nice.

DJGranite

Reaction score
Cool build, I like the color.
I've got something similar.... Kramer body with an early Floyd and an early Charvel neck.
I also have a Gibson pickup to go in it too.
Charvel Kramer Partscaster fr.jpg

JJ119

Reaction score
@ToneWitch

Congratulations!!

Perfect!!

However, the ONLY thing that caught my attention is, that, you didn’t send it to me!!!
:wallbash:

LoL!!!

Enjoy !!!

ToneWitch

Reaction score
Only thing I’m bummed about is they must have forgotten to round the bottom of the fretboard. So I’m going to do that the next string change. I decided not to paint the headstock because the grain is so gorgeous. Besides that it’s super comfy to play. Volume knob not in the way. It’s a hot rodded shred machine.

Latest posts