• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1st upgrade...tubes or speakers?

• Thread starter dirtyhippie08
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhippie08

Reaction score
I want to enhance the tone of my tsl602. Not very sure on what to do, though. Tube amps are brand new to me. I've played bass live for a few years and I love the piano-like thunder I get out of my ashdown mag300, which is solid-state. I only have the budget for one of them right now, either re-tubed or diff speakers. Everyone says how much they dont like the wolverine's that come in the tsl combo so I figured I would change them first. But im looking for a more experienced opinion. I can handle the speaker change myself but the tubes will have to be done by a professional. Thanx!

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
get some NOS tubes.

talk to martystrat54, he has a great reputation on the forum, and can steer you in the right direction.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I would say change out the Wolverines. That would be a bigger impact. I would recommend an Eminence Tonespotter and Black Powder, wired in series for a 16 ohm load.

Both these speakers work great in an open back combo.

I will say that your 602 will benefit greatly with NOS preamp tubes. Try to at least get a NOS for V1, even if it is a GE. The DSL/TSL line of amps really sound good with NOS tubes.

rjtm

Reaction score
How long has it been since the tubes were put in? If they were never changed, what year is the amp?

thetragichero

Reaction score
speakers first by all means
it's not just a brand new, unbroken in speaker, right?
get some eminence all up in that shit! (just be sure to break it in)

JayCM800

Reaction score
Do the tube-maintenance and Play it with it's stock speakers for a while. No sense putting new speakers on an "unhealty" amp!

dirtyhippie08

Reaction score
I just want some more balls out of it! The amp is about 2 years old. So i think they should be broken in by now? I am the second owner. Thanx everyone for the help. I appreciate it. This forum was highly recommended and I see why!

rjtm

Reaction score
I think you should start with decently priced tubes, first, and then save up for a speaker upgrade next. I remember getting my Jubilee, and although the tubes were MUCH older than yours, it felt dead and lifeless, with no tone or gain. I got the tubes changed and a little "check up" and "tune up" and the amp came to life, and sounds amazing. Even with great speakers (I had v30s before and after the tube change and still have them) the amp needs tubes.

If you want a specific change in tone, that is a separate thing, but you want more balls, and that could be because the tubes are worn out and you need new ones.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I had the same situation and posted the same question - the answer is both will make a difference. As of now I replaced the tubes and it made a huge difference (had a problem with the amp that required changing the tubes before I made the decision which way to go). Since then I also got the speakers but havent built the new cab yet. I'm sure the speakers will also make a big difference too, but ask MartyStrat54 what tubes to get, he was right on.

rjtm

Reaction score
I had the same situation and posted the same question - the answer is both will make a difference. As of now I replaced the tubes and it made a huge difference (had a problem with the amp that required changing the tubes before I made the decision which way to go). Since then I also got the speakers but havent built the new cab yet. I'm sure the speakers will also make a big difference too, but ask MartyStrat54 what tubes to get, he was right on.

Yup. He helped me pick my tubes and I love them. PM him and he'll help you out

thetragichero

Reaction score
if it weren't for marty i wouldn't have my beast of a 29 year old carvin cab loaded with eminence red, white, and blues and black powders!
i have gotten more complements on this cab than anything else i own!

Latest posts