1watt offset head

• Thread starter Ufoscorpion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I will be receiving delivery of a jtm 1w offset head tomorrow , I can't wait . Guitarguitar are doing a great deal right now at £299 ( rrp. £ 525 ) . I've seen loads of great reviews and professionals reviewing them all seam to love them . What do you guys and gals think of the 1watt range in general . I will be collecting them all if all goes well with the offset . Will keep you posted .

kelv_w

Reaction score
Post some pics when you get it. I'm tempted by one too since it's reasonably priced, I would if I've not placed an order for a hardwired TT.
My favourite is still the JCM1 and the JTM145. The only one I didn't quite like is the DSL1.

schwa

Reaction score
Congrats on your incoming offset. Folks say that they are the same amp as the JTM1 but I'm not 100% sure. I have a JTM1 (and owned and returned another), and the JTMs had a higher gain sound I was not fond of. I fixed it with a 5751 in the preamp, but have not felt the need to roll tubes in the offset (yet).

For the record, I have a JMP1 as well and it's my favorite 1 watter. I wasn't interested in the MV models. I would have loved to try the JTM145, but didn't want to ship one to the US.

It sounds like you skipped the matching cab. On one hand, it's just a box with a speaker, but it will be very difficult to match that badge and grillcloth later on. It's a good cab as well, nicely built - though I prefer a GB in there to the speaker that came stock.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I will be receiving delivery of a jtm 1w offset head tomorrow , I can't wait . Guitarguitar are doing a great deal right now at £299 ( rrp. £ 525 ) . I've seen loads of great reviews and professionals reviewing them all seam to love them . What do you guys and gals think of the 1watt range in general . I will be collecting them all if all goes well with the offset . Will keep you posted .

I need to build my own. Marshall does not sell the transformers.
But I think hi fi transformers, and possibly about 3 watts instead.
I have a plan for an output attenuator instead of a volume control.

The 1 watt is intended to be a historical recreation, to represent signature tones of particular years in Rock or Blues.
The 1 watt amps are modeled after different eras of classic Marshalls.
There are several different designs...

Again illustrating that loudness does not = power. Using an EVM speaker, 1 watt, you will get about 102 Db SPL.
The 1 watt is surprisingly loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71tBeuLn2Y

The "offset" relocated the transformers on the chassis
so that when the amp is carried, the weight is perfectly balanced.
It's not heavier on any one side like the old style.

Here is some info my friend sent me:

these 1watters are released as marshall's 50th anniversary which was 2012. they planned to release 6 limited edition models (all brand new 2012 design) which are,

jtm1 represents 1960's tone
jmp1 = 1970
jcm1 = 1980
dsl1 = 1990
jvm1 = 2000

and they planned to release each model every two months of 2012. this plan delayed and each model took 4~6months actually.

now, after they've finnished releasing all of the models whch was about may of 2013 and since these were planned to be a limited edition, everyone thought that was it, but marshall kept manufacturing them as additional special editions.

first special edition was, jtm1 offset which is same inside but defferent case and matching cab. (came out june/july 2013)

second was white jcm1 mini full stack. (came out oct 2013)

and then now they just came out with this jtm145 which has redesigned jtm1 cuicuit and matching cab which is the one on the you tube clip.

so technically up to date, they have 8 differnt versions available but most of first three has been sold out.

you will find some info on first five when you go to marshallamp.com under 50th anv section.

JeffH

Reaction score
Congrats on the incoming new amp!

I have the JMP 1H and the offset. I'll have to try the speaker upgrade suggested, I don't care for the stock speaker much but I attributed that to the small cab.

I just recently got the CSJTM145 but haven't had much time to play it yet. I got a step up xformer to use it here in the US. The Anderton's site mentioned a PT for 120v which would be correct for this amp. That, along with a fuse change would allow me to use it without the step-up. Does anyone know where I can get one of the 120v power transformers?

Sorry to derail the thread a bit...

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

I have the JMP 1H and the offset. I'll have to try the speaker upgrade suggested, I don't care for the stock speaker much but I attributed that to the small cab.

I just recently got the CSJTM145 but haven't had much time to play it yet. I got a step up xformer to use it here in the US. The Anderton's site mentioned a PT for 120v which would be correct for this amp. That, along with a fuse change would allow me to use it without the step-up. Does anyone know where I can get one of the 120v power transformers?

I think what I was told, that you can't get the transformers from Marshall. Maybe, maybe not...
But if you get the exact part number from Kevin, then a Marshall dealer or authorized service center, could try to order it.

But you can try calling Kevin
Kevin (Kdog) Drury
Marshall USA Service
1000 Corporate Grove Dr.
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
800-877-6863

Don't know if they will really sell one.

JeffH

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll revisit the site where I saw the part number listed. It doesn't matter about voiding the warranty if I replace the part since I bought it second-hand and I'm not in the UK where they were exclusively sold.

scott-uk

Reaction score
Ref the 1-watt offset. Just curious...

Marshall very explicitly say "The head and cab are supplied as a package, meaning that they will not be available separately. Each Offset comes complete with a Marshall embossment, and a certificate of authenticity" (Offset | Products | Marshall Amps). I also read somewhere on the Marshall website that exactly 1100 sets are being made.

Yet now the head and cab are very clearly being sold separately. How come? Is it because they couldn't sell them? (that would also explain the almost 50% price drop).

Also, if the set (head+cab) includes a certificate of authenticity, if a set is split and sold as separate head and cab, who gets the certificate?

slide222

Reaction score
out of the 5 heads , I have the first 3, and the jtm does it for me , and is by far my favourite ,love the mellow tones so much so that I fancy a jtm45 30 watt resisue , but that's not possible at the moment.

the only problem for me was the 10inch speaker in the offset cab , as I deffinately prefere the 12 inch speakers , but it is a looker head and cab and will be collectable in the future

JeffH

Reaction score
The notes on the Anderton's site about a USA power (mains) transformer for the CSJTM145 state it's part number MAR0053 and the fuse needs to be changed also.

Now if they would make a hand-wired one watt...

Bucknasty

Reaction score

I just bought the inverter they recommended and it works fine. I went and picked mine up at Andertons and brought it home to the states. Got to speak with Lee for about an hour. One of the coolest trips I've been on. Did you get the cab for yours?

JeffH

Reaction score
Wow, going to pick it up sounds like a great trip. Nice souvenir of your trip to London! Did you get the cab too?

I didn't get the cab although it's gorgeous! I bought the head on ebay for $800. When I was looking on Anderton's website for the cab it was still possible to preorder one (up until Sept. 15) but the price converted to about $1000. I didn't receive the amp until after that, I think.

I play mine through a Winfield open back 1x12 that has a Celestion Blue. The step up transformer I ordered from Amazon works great. I've got to get some pix of the 3 amps sometime.

I'll be on a quest to find the proper cab used on ebay or somewhere...

Bucknasty

Reaction score
Yeah I got the cab. The Alnico T652 is an amazing speaker. The amp truly comes alive with that cab. Good luck finding one used. lol I don't think anyone will want to let one go for a while.

timsmcm

Reaction score
I have an offset jtm 45 with the 4 x12 cab with those celestion alnico speakers like the ones in the andertons limited cab. It is the best cab I have ever played through. It makes my little jtm-1c sound incredible. I can't believe how good those little 50th anniversary amps sound.

Latest posts