2 amps 1 cab??

• Thread starter jrob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jrob

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I own a JCM900 50Watt head and a 1960B cab. Benn running them 4ohm. Well last night I aquired a vintage Kustom 250 head. It is 250 watts and has a single speaker output listed as 4 ohms. Now to my question.....is it possible for me to run both the Kustom and the JCM900 into my 1960B cab? I know that I can run 2 amps in there, but I'm unsure about the power(watts) and impedence. Thanks in advance for replies!!:headbanger:

JROB

Adwex

Reaction score
Yes you can, but the power output of the Kustom will be alot higher than the speakers, so don't crank it or you'll blow 2 of your speakers. The Marshall will be fine.

Flip the switch on the cab to stereo, plug the amps into the 2 jacks on the cab, each side will be 8 ohms. One amp will run the left 2 speakers, the other amp will run the right 2 speakers (obviously you cannot have each amp run all 4 speakers). Maximum power handling will be 150 watts for each pair of speakers (2 speakers each X 75 watts).

I don't advise this, you run the risk of easily blowing 2 speakers with that 250 wattt amp.

jrob

Reaction score
Yeah I was afraid of that. I understood the ohms thing really, but I figured the power handling would be to little for that Kustom. Thanks alot for the reply man!!:)

Adwex

Reaction score
Yeah I was afraid of that. I understood the ohms thing really, but I figured the power handling would be to little for that Kustom. Thanks alot for the reply man!!:)

My pleasure. You could get an attenuator for that Kustom, so you could get the cranked tone, but less power going to the speakers.

Kramer Krazy

Reaction score
The other alternative is to run each amp through an A/B box. This is the best way I've found when running two amps with complete different sounds and settings. I've done this several times when playing songs that have really clean sections and nasty distorted sections in them. With the Morley A/B box I have, I have the option of running each amp individually or both at the same time. When running a clean amp and dirty amp at the same time, it can add a really neat dimension to the music.

daby.jpg

rgorke

Reaction score
The other alternative is to run each amp through an A/B box. This is the best way I've found when running two amps with complete different sounds and settings. I've done this several times when playing songs that have really clean sections and nasty distorted sections in them. With the Morley A/B box I have, I have the option of running each amp individually or both at the same time. When running a clean amp and dirty amp at the same time, it can add a really neat dimension to the music.

daby.jpg

Please correct me if I am wrong, but you can only use this device if each amp has its own dedicated speakers. You can not use this if two amps would be sharing the same speaker(s). So, if you used your 1960 cabinet in stereo, that would be fine but if each amp were using all four speakers, that would not work and be a very bad thing. To have the amps share the same speaker(s), you would need a device like this:

Radial Headbone amp head switcher - using the Headbone

Am I right? :hmm:

Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but you can only use this device if each amp has its own dedicated speakers. You can not use this if two amps would be sharing the same speaker(s). So, if you used your 1960 cabinet in stereo, that would be fine but if each amp were using all four speakers, that would not work and be a very bad thing. To have the amps share the same speaker(s), you would need a device like this:

Radial Headbone amp head switcher - using the Headbone

Am I right? :hmm:

you could not connect an a/b selector between the two amps and one speaker box so that it is selecting witch amp is going to the speaker because the amp that is not selected to go to the speaker would blow eventualy because the poweramp of that amp is sending power out to the speaker but it is not being used up by the box so would blow poweramp tube, tranformers ect. So this means you would wreck both your amps as both poweramps would get fried when swapping from A to B with selector.
a poweramp must always have a load E.g. speakers to recive power being sent by it.
i think you are best off buying a seperate box to match your new head watts ect.
cheers ryan

speshojk

Reaction score
Awesome! So you're effectively making each amp its own "channel"...that would even work great for heads that have two channels but no independent EQ, like the JCM DSL 50. Sure, its kind of the long way around, but just think how impressive having TWO amps would be? My mind is blown. good work guys.

speshojk

Reaction score
PS, I hear the Boss LS-2 is pretty good for stuff like this also. Thoughts?

pinto79

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I own a JCM900 50Watt head and a 1960B cab. Benn running them 4ohm. Well last night I aquired a vintage Kustom 250 head. It is 250 watts and has a single speaker output listed as 4 ohms. Now to my question.....is it possible for me to run both the Kustom and the JCM900 into my 1960B cab? I know that I can run 2 amps in there, but I'm unsure about the power(watts) and impedence. Thanks in advance for replies!!:headbanger:

JROB

Unless your amp was modded, it's only selectable from 16 ohms on the 16(4) side and 8 ohms. You should really be using the 16 ohm input on your cabinet to prevent damage.

Latest posts