2004 marshall 1959 Reissue modified

• Thread starter rockstah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
it sounds great. i like it even better than Eddies tone on VH1, because it has more bite.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I've never played a 1959 or 1987 or any non-master vol amp for that matter, so I'm curious....does your mod give it WAY more gain than it has stock? Because that sounds pretty gainy. In a good way. It sounds incredible.

V-man

Reaction score
Yeah, it has the same quality of my 1959RR. I don't have experience with original 1959s but the gain on Channel 1 (non cascade channel) seems over the top -in a good way regarding gain. If that was the case in 1980, it's no surprise why RR favored the non-cascade side.

Does yours have the "no headroom" setup I hear most have, including my RR (once you get past 2 on the volume you are at club level and the difference between 5 and 8 is saturation rather than volume)?

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
hey guys! it does have more gain for sure. this was recorded at bedroom level. it only gets better the louder you crank it.

all Marshalls tend to be more gainy the higher go on the volume knob but this amp achieves it without peeling paint as well. ;)

Mark

metromutt

Reaction score
Excellent as always Mark.
Did you do the mod5 to the existing pcb or flip it out in favor of a ptp? standard trannys? tubes JJ's I take it.

I have to say the mod5 does excel at low volume without getting fizzy like most amps when only cracked open... did you use a PB in the chain?

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Excellent as always Mark.
Did you do the mod5 to the existing pcb or flip it out in favor of a ptp? standard trannys? tubes JJ's I take it.

I have to say the mod5 does excel at low volume without getting fizzy like most amps when only cracked open... did you use a PB in the chain?

Thanks!

I used the PCB and original transformers. i plugged straight into the amp and it was plugged straight into a Marshall straight 4x12 cab housed with greenbacks.
jje34l's and chinese preamp tubes are in the amp.

Mark

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
My two friends Lester and Frank can't wait until my Marshall gets home!

Picture.jpg

jcmjmp

Reaction score
The Mod5 isn't anything that's not already available in the public domain, in parts. Sounds good tho!

Check this out:
MetroAmp.com Forum • View topic - Bring back Rockstah!

And here from another one..,

Why even call it a Mod5? It's nothing new. It's just a Marshall 2203/2204 with a PPIMV added, the resistor after the pre-PI MV, and only a couple of other component changes like a 100pF cap instead of a 470-500pF cap at the 470K/470K voltage divider...........
louis

Re: Bring back Rockstah!
by novosibir » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm

louis wrote:
Why even call it a Mod5? It's nothing new. It's just a Marshall 2203/2204 with a PPIMV added, the resistor after the pre-PI MV, and only a couple of other component changes like a 100pF cap instead of a 470-500pF cap at the 470K/470K voltage divider...........

Just to complete it:

- and a 25µF/25V across the 820 ohms cathode R of V2a
- and .1 coupling caps instead of .022's after the PI plates

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
The Mod5 isn't anything that's not already available in the public domain, in parts. Sounds good tho!

Check this out:
MetroAmp.com Forum • View topic - Bring back Rockstah!

And here from another one..,

louis

Re: Bring back Rockstah!
by novosibir » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm

louis wrote:

Just to complete it:

- and a 25µF/25V across the 820 ohms cathode R of V2a
- and .1 coupling caps instead of .022's after the PI plates

if you want the real thing you know where to find it.

anyone that has any questions can email me and i will fill them in.

thanks so much for the post!
Mark

Mark