2203/2204 470pf V2 Bypass Caps

• Thread starter jgab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jgab

Reaction score
Hi,
Have any of you messed with these two 470pf bypass caps (circled in black in the image below)?

If so, I was wondering:
- What sort of effect did you notice and was a particular value something that you stuck with other than 470pf or 500pf?
- If tested, did you hear a difference between a 470pf and a 500pf?
- Is there a difference in the characteristic of the amp from one 470pf vs the other 470pf?

2203 Treble Bypass Caps.JPG

Jon Snell

Reaction score
30pF difference will change the slope very slightly.
If you fit a 220pF instead, there will be a slight gap in the upper frequencies, a bit like a dip in d=signal.
One 470pF versus another 470pF ... only differ if they are different tollerances.
Many Fender tone controls replace the 220pF with a 270 or 330pF to give a wider range on the higher frequencies.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
The left hand 470pF is the tonestack treble cap, to see the effect of different values have a play with C1 here https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/info.htm

The right hand 470pF raises the level of higher frequencies about 6dB above lower frequencies, ie a shelf filter.
It can be modelled using this calculator https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifier-calculators/bright-boost/calculator/
Set Rv to 940, volume setting to 50, and Cbp to 470 (or whatever value you wish to model).
With a stock 10k unbypassed cathode on the preceding stage, the output impedance setting should probably be increased, to 100, but it doesn't make much difference.
I recall @neikeel recommending a value of 2n2F there (2200pF in the calculator)?
That seems to bring the filter's -3dB upper corner frequency down from about 1kHz to about 250Hz, so increases the level of upper mids.
I intend to try that next time I've got the chassis out :)

Last edited:

jgab

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went with a couple vintage RMC ceramics around 485pf and they sound great. Old ones were not stock (changed by some tech at some time. Measuring ~440pf). I wish I had the original red dog bones ceramics.
With these RMC ceramic caps, I noticed a bit more clarity and some harmonic squishiness to the amp. It is slight but I can noticed a change for sure. I like it.

EDIT: The amp I worked on is my 1976 2203 MV. Excellent amp and full of Mustards.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
I recall @neikeel recommending a value of 2n2F there (2200pF in the calculator)?
That seems to bring the filter's -3dB upper corner frequency down from about 1kHz to about 250Hz, so increases the level of upper mids.
I intend to try that next time I've got the chassis out :)
So I give @neikeel 's suggestion my thumbs up, with the 470pF treble peaker increased to 2n2F, its tonal balance seems improved, it's become a bit thicker, less edgy / bright.

Last edited:

jgab

Reaction score
That's interesting.

My amp seems pretty thick overall so the 470pf works great. I play a lot with my band and I find the bright and edgy works well in the mix when recording or rehearsing. I think if I were a bedroom player that I would want my amp to sound thicker since I wouldn't be playing with a bass player or drums.