2203KK versus 2203X

• Thread starter Cobra
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

I've been playing a old 2203 (1989 I think) for some years now, and I really dig some of the tones. I'm thinking of retiring it from the battlefield (sentimental reasons), and get a new one.. We're playing metal, and I've used a ENGL Blackmore for a Heavy Duty rythm, 'cause of it's fast respons og straightness, but I've tried a 2203KK, and i just fell a little bit in love with it + it is a Marshall (Yeah I know, i'm a sucker for that brand ;).
My current setup is very Kerry King Inspired (when it comes to NoiseGate and Equalizer settings), but I'm still using my own dist, but I would be nice to have the gate and EQ part.
Basically my question is,where is the difference between 2203X and 2203KK.. I know that there is some transformer size difference, and the KK i printboard, but when it comes to sound (No store in in the 50km radius of me have a 2203X) where is the difference?

thanks

mike mike

Reaction score
with the beast switch engaged, there is much more gain, compression, and the gate. without the beast swtch, its essentially an 800

Murmel

Reaction score
The 2203KK has no effects loop, some people find that limiting.

The KK delivers a lot more Marshall tones than most people think. Don´t let people tell you the KK was a one trick pony. Nice cleans, classic crunch, it´s all there. Of course it´s not as versatile as a JVM but it doesn´t have to hide behind the the classic 2203s. And no, it does not sound thinner.

The transformers are the same as in the JVM, the is a thread somewhere here were Santiago explains why he choose that design over the classic 2203 transformer.

If you are looking for a reverse smiley high gain amp and classic marshall tone , the KK is yours.
If you need scooped sound search elsewhere.

Cobra

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad for your comment on the scooped tone thing.. It is nice to have an amp that has a "Reverse V" shaped eq..

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
One of the big differences is that the KK uses four KT88's and the "X" uses EL34's.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
Question-

How come the KK doesnt have a loop? Cuz Kerry don't use a loop?

Then why does the ZAKK head have a loop? Zakk claims to run all his pedals on the floor.

This is his board right here,

zakk_pedal_board.jpg

...and its been the same for 20 years except he used to use a boss super chorus instead of the MXR, and he used a SD-1 instead of the ZW overdrive,....so why is there a loop on the ZAKK? Does he have some magical peice of gear he puts in there that is top secret? Did they think they would simply sell better with a loop? So, why no loop on the KK?

I've wondered this several times.
anyone?

surface54

Reaction score
Question-

Then why does the ZAKK head have a loop? Zakk claims to run all his pedals on the floor.

zakk_pedal_board.jpg

...and its been the same for 20 years except he used to use a boss super chorus instead of the MXR, and he used a SD-1 instead of the ZW overdrive,....so why is there a loop on the ZAKK? Does he have some magical peice of gear he puts in there that is top secret? Did they think they would simply sell better with a loop? So, why no loop on the KK?

anyone?

cause kerry probably didnt give a shit if there was a loop. he doesnt run much, and zakk thought ahead, maybe someday using more stuff in the loop if it had one..wanted all the areas covered if it was going to be his sig amp.

noise5150

Reaction score
Hey since this thread is about the JCM800s I have a question. I got a DSL a few years back because I wanted a Marshall with a really clean channel but can the JCM800s get truly clean tones just by turning your guitar volume down? I know Slash was able to to get it with a modded 1959/800 but can the stock versions of the KK or the 2203 get there?

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
If you have the pre dialed up high, like 8-10 for some good van halen or acdc, then you have to turn it almost off to get it really clean, and it's still not SUPER clean the louder it is the better it cleans up with the guitar vol though.

if you run your pre on a blusey 4-6 then it will clean up really nicely with the guit vol.

KH Guitar Freak

Reaction score
Question-

zakk_pedal_board.jpg

anyone?

Could possibly be that Zakk wanted to give other players the option to run effects through the loop. Slash's sig heads have effects loops as well, but he has never used the loop AFAIK...

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that Zakk has in the past used the Yamaha SPX 90 for effects in his loops in addition to a few other items. And who's to say he does not use anything in the loop currently from time to time. A little EQ or BBE Sonix Max. Most likely just foresight Lester as he knows his needs will evolve.

Zakk Wylde Gear

2009-Present

Dunlop ZW-45S Zakk Wylde Wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Dunlop Grind and clear Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble/MXR Chorus

In the rack:
Monster Cable MP PRO 3500 Rack Power Center
Monster Cable MP PRO 3500 Rack Power Center

Korg DTR-2000 Rackmount Digital Tuner
Korg DTR-2000 Rackmount Digital Tuner

Marshall JCM 800′s and ZW 2203′s with 6550 Power Tubes
2 Marshall 1960B cabinets w/ TV Cloth with
Electro Voice EVM12L speakers rated at 200 watts each

Monster Cables on everything.
Leather Guitar Straps are made by Red Monkey Designs
Chain guitar straps are:

Strap: 3/8ths nickel plated, heavy-duty chain
Hooks: #6 Eye bolt
Fasteners: Cambell 7/16″ (11mm) Spring Snail Clip

Strings: Dunlop Zakk Wylde Signature Series (No longer uses GHS Zakk Wylde Boomers as of early 2007)

For Standard, Eb, Dropped D, and other dropped tunings: GBZW: .010 .013 .017 .036 .052 .060

For Dropped A, Dropped G, and other dropped tunings in a “D” tuning: GBWZLO: .011 .014 .018 .036 .052 .070
*note: The GBZWLO are rarely used live and are more for studio recording*

Guitar Picks are Dunlop Tortex 1mm

—————————————————————-

2004-2008

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Dunlop Overdrive
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus

—————————————————————-

1998 to 2004 (BLS and Ozzy)

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

Ozzfest 2004 he started using the following pedals instead of the Boss’:
MXR ZW-44 Dunlop Overdrive
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus

Zakk’s Pedalboard – Pic 1
Zakk’s Pedalboard – Pic 2

Korg DTR-2000 Digital Rack Tuner

2 Marshall JCM 800 (2203’s)
2 Marshall 1960B cabinets w/ TV Cloth with
Electro Voice EVM12L speakers rated at 200 watts each

Amplifier Settings:
Preamp: 10
Bass: 10
Mid: 4-6
Treble: 4-6
Presence: 2
Master: 4-6

—————————————————————-

1993 (Pride & Glory)

2 Mashall JCM 800 (2203’s ) Dunlop Wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
2 1960B cabinets with 75 watt Celestions w/ TV Cloth

—————————————————————-

1988 (Ozzy)

2 custom Metaltronix 100 watt heads
2 Ashley FET 500 power amps

(In The Rack)
3 Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamps
(one for clean and two dirty )
Simmons SPM 8:2 midi mixer
(splits signal from Heads to rack, only on clean the heads are off )
Furman LF-8 power conditioner
2 Nady 701 wireless receivers
2 Roland DEP-5’sYamaha SPX-90 Multi Effects2 Rocktron Hush IIc noise reductions
(On The Floor)
Morley Wah PWO (the Big Chrome one )
Boss SD-1
Super Overdrive
Boss PH-2 Super Phaser
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
2 Metaltronix cabinets with 75 watt Celestions

—————————————————————-

1991-1993 (Ozzy) (In The Studio)
Marshall JCM 800 (2203’s and 2204’s)
Ampeg VL-1002 head
Yamaha SPX-90
(on Tour)
2 Marshall JCM 800 (2203 )
Dunlop Wah
Boss SD-1
Boss CH-1
2 Nady 701 Wireless Recievers
2 1960B cabinets with 75 watt Celestions

Later, David. :jam:

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
i have always though that i hear a lil BBE going on with his tone,...just a little. But i've never seen where he claims to use one. It doesn't suprise me that the ZW has a loop....all modern heads should have em,....what does suprise me is that the KK does not.

Cobra

Reaction score
i have always though that i hear a lil BBE going on with his tone,...just a little. But i've never seen where he claims to use one. It doesn't suprise me that the ZW has a loop....all modern heads should have em,....what does suprise me is that the KK does not.

Simplicity I guess.. I mean, have you ever heard King with a delay or phaser?

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
2203 all the way, for many reasons. Actually, I'd say 2203X, for many reasons... unless the original 2203's from the 80's had effect loops?

Okay, so here I go.

1) The 2203X apparently has the same setup as the 2203's people used to like the most, meaning, same number of caps and same type and size of transformers used.

2) It has a true-bypass effects loop, which you can take out completely or engage it if you want to use some delay or whatever.

3) I play hard rock and metal, and I can easily play hard rock or rock all day with the amp's own gain (on 7 or so) and the tone is amazing, it feels "real". But, if I need to go metal, and I mean, very metal, yes, Slayer and so on, all I need to do is stomp on a booster pedal, which can be anything from a 50 dollar SD-1 to a high quality 300 dollar Maxon, whatever's on your budget or already in your pedalboard.

4) As far as noise, my amp is very quiet. But, when I do engage a booster pedal, it does need the help of a gate. I can fix that with my ISP Decimator pedal, pretty quick, and I would go ahead and say I'm pretty sure it's better than the 2203KK's noise gate...

5) Finally, even though most of you would say "well, if you get a 2203X then you're saying you need to spend like 200 bucks extra to get the metal tone a 2203KK gives you..." The answer is YES, but I want to say the end results would be so much better. It would be worth it.

Now, yes, the 2203KK uses different tubes... ok. Some people would say the KT88's (or whatever tube it is) sound better or are more aggressive, but then again, some people would consider those tubes to be a downgrade since I believe Marshall had to use them as the EL34 was supposed to run out at the time or something.

Anyway, the most important thing to me about choosing a 2203X over a 2203KK is this: it won't have someone else's name on it! It will be YOUR amp and you will be able to get your own sounds out of it. It won't have any "built-in" stuff, weird cosmetics and Kerry King's name on it. That's actually the BIGGEST factor for me.

Cobra

Reaction score
Well, the factor whenever there is or is not "another name" on a amp dosen't matter for me, it is the sound that is important. If one feels inhibited by the cosmetics of their amp, well yeah.. it should be obvious.. besides isn't Marshall a name (or a brand you might say)?

If you think "the beast" sounds like ass, I guess we're just of different opinion