2203X, from 220v to 110v

• Thread starter little_grease
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

little_grease

Reaction score
So, I have a contact in Germany and we all know how ridiculous the US pricing is and most if not all UK dealers (to my knowledge) can't ship to US...so I thought about having a Euro 2203X shipped to states via my contact. Anyways, 220v there and 120v here.

EURO:
Euro 2203X mains.JPG

US:
US 2203X mains.JPG

I do have an original 2203 from 1987 but it's made for US market so I never really thought about this. I'm assuming the only thing I'd need to change is the two fuses to the 100/120V type and the power cable as a 220v outlet is physically different?? Set the mains select to 110v. Everything else looks identical.

I know step down transformers are a thing for a lot of amps, but for amps that do have a mains select like the 2203 I wasn't sure if it's needed here. Yes, electrical noob here 🙂

Last edited:

little_grease

Reaction score
If that is a photo of the rear portion of your amp then yes. That is all you need to do.
But you don't say it is ...
No those are stock images I found...trying to comparing the rear panels. Looks like the Euro model they just put that 230v-50hz sticker on there. I'm not sure if changing the fuses also solves the 50hz to 60hz issue as well or if that is solved with the mains select by using 110v?

Jon Snell

Reaction score
The frequency is of no consequence as all mains transformers work well between 40 and 70HZ.
You must have a universal transformer in there with a 230/240 volt tapping, if not an autotransfoermer may be you best option.
As your mains transformer is for 110/120 volts, the fuses remain the same and the voltage does not get changed.
If you have the universal transforme, changing both the tapping settings and fuse rating is all that is needed.

BlueX

Reaction score
So, I have a contact in Germany and we all know how ridiculous the US pricing is and most if not all UK dealers (to my knowledge) can't ship to US...so I thought about having a Euro 2003X shipped to states via my contact. Anyways, 220v there and 120v here.

EURO:
View attachment 147209

US:
View attachment 147210

I do have an original 2203 from 1987 but it's made for US market so I never really thought about this. I'm assuming the only thing I'd need to change is the two fuses to the 100/120V type and the power cable as a 220v outlet is physically different?? Set the mains select to 110v. Everything else looks identical.

I know step down transformers are a thing for a lot of amps, but for amps that do have a mains select like the 2203 I wasn't sure if it's needed here. Yes, electrical noob here 🙂
"EURO" is the same backpanel as the one sold by e.g. Thomann. As @Jon Snell already mentioned, all info is on that panel:
- Switch Mains Select to 110V
- Replace Mains Fuse with T6,3AE (instead of T3,15AE). HT fuse remains the same.
- Plug in correct speaker load and rock!

little_grease

Reaction score
Sweet, simple enough to do! Speaking of the HT fuse, I just noticed it's the same value for either voltage...odd they'd even list both voltage values there if it's the same either way :shrug:

little_grease

Reaction score
Thanks guys, just trying to see if this is a good idea lol before I decide to go thru with it and then get stuck with an amp I have to sink more time/money (big $) in just to get to work....however I think I can handle fuse costs 🙂 . Would like to get the 2203X to use with my 2203...but these US costs ooof :(

Tatzmann

Reaction score
That all works out fine as the guys say, but may i ask why do you want another 2203? As backup or because it has an efxloop? Stereo?

How much is the savings when its all done with the importfee$ and $hipping stuff?