2204 Farewell...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The 2204 is gone. Put it on Clist and was sold in 24hrs..and for a nice profit.

Loved the amp, but my DSL with the mods did everthing just as good and more.

Searching for a DSL 50... Want to see what I can do with it.
Wow is all I can say! You gotta have the right tools for the job and the DSL is your tool! :yesway:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Wow is all I can say! You gotta have the right tools for the job and the DSL is your tool! :yesway:

Dude...the 2204 was great..especially with the HM2...but man, my modded DSLs are actually better ...more functional amps. I like the lighter weight of the 50w amps. My 100s are just as heavy as a 2203 with the aftermarket iron and choke. Gonna look for a mint DSL 50 and mod it in the same manner of my 100s. They're truly great amps ..especially for gigging.

I got good money for the 800 too...Wana buy a new bike this year ...the cash will help. Lol

dju

Reaction score
out of curiosity what mods did you do to your DSL?
and just so I know we are talking about the same thing, is the DSL you are referring to the original JCM 2000 DSL or the current model DSL?

thanks,
dj

Adrian R

Reaction score
out of curiosity what mods did you do to your DSL?
and just so I know we are talking about the same thing, is the DSL you are referring to the original JCM 2000 DSL or the current model DSL?

thanks,
dj

Both of my DSLs are year 2000 JCM 2000s. I've replaced both transformers, replaced mainboards, and added chokes.

Adrian R

Reaction score
So you’ve just built a new amp inside a dsl chassis basically , lol .

Well, not really. I replaced the mainboards with identical, new Marshall boards. The only difference is the transformers and choke. Incidentally, the original mainboards were not failing, I just wanted new comp
So you’ve just built a new amp inside a dsl chassis basically , lol .

Not really. Replaced the main boards with new, identical Marshall replacements. The only difference is the transformers and a choke.

Adrian R

Reaction score
now see I did the exact opposite. I owned a DSL 100 and then bought the '78 2204. the DSL couldn't touch it, not even close so I sold the DSL

It was either ill, or not set up correctly. Sure, it's not gonna be quite as crisp, clear, or authentic, but with the right approach you can get pretty close, but with so much more. Single channels amps have short commings. The DSL is like the best compromise Marshall ever produced...better then any 900..and to my liking, better then the JVM.

1Louder

Reaction score
Both of my DSLs are year 2000 JCM 2000s. I've replaced both transformers, replaced mainboards, and added chokes.
My 100 watt DSL came with big Iron. Not sure if they were stock back then ( 05/06 ) or if the guy I bough from modded them. I've seen a few 100's with tiny transformers out there.

Did the choke make a noticeable difference?
I never felt like modding mine exept for that.