2204 Farewell...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score

You never experienced one setup properly...Mine with the upgrades sounded *allot* like the 2204, but then again with more. Now I did compare the DSL 50 to a 2204, and it didn't have the balls of the 2204..but the DSL 100 did.. I sold the DSL 50 and kept the 100 because of this. Then after several years of experimentation and mods I got the DSL 100 to sound just as good...and even better because of it's whole other channel! A stock 2204 has no where near the clean gain as a DSL...the DSL is WAY more flexible!

It IS imperative though to replace the stock transformers and add a choke ...this closes the gap significantly...like at least 95% of the pure tonal disparity between the two. I could go on and on... I've owned every 900 ever made, A Jube, 2204, JVM, 2203X, 2203.. The modded DSL 100 outperforms all of them especially as a compromise between tonality and flexibility.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
You never experienced one setup properly...Mine with the upgrades sounded *allot* like the 2204, but then again with more. Now I did compare the DSL 50 to a 2204, and it didn't have the balls of the 2204..but the DSL 100 did.. I sold the DSL 50 and kept the 100 because of this. Then after several years of experimentation and mods I got the DSL 100 to sound just as good...and even better because of it's whole other channel! A stock 2204 has no where near the clean gain as a DSL...the DSL is WAY more flexible!

It IS imperative though to replace the stock transformers and add a choke ...this closes the gap significantly...like at least 95% of the pure tonal disparity between the two. I could go on and on... I've owned every 900 ever made, A Jube, 2204, JVM, 2203X, 2203.. The modded DSL 100 outperforms all of them especially as a compromise between tonality and flexibility.
LOL I knew you'd jump in, I just baited you man! Yeah I know your reasons, my complaint about the DSL is the scooped tone and EQ disparity between channels at least with my DSL50 I had, I dont have alot of mileage on a DSL100 which as you say is much different. The new DSLs have the same scooped tone so I cant imagine the old 100's being that different. If I ever find myself in your neck of the woods I'm definitely coming over to try yours and drink up your Spaten! :yesway:

Adrian R

Reaction score
LOL I knew you'd jump in, I just baited you man! Yeah I know your reasons, my complaint about the DSL is the scooped tone and EQ disparity between channels at least with my DSL50 I had, I dont have alot of mileage on a DSL100 which as you say is much different. The new DSLs have the same scooped tone so I cant imagine the old 100's being that different. If I ever find myself in your neck of the woods I'm definitely coming over to try yours and drink up your Spaten! :yesway:

Scooped tone? Wow, not my experience...I usually set my mid control at about halfway or less! Of course this changes with the cab I use...PLENTY of mids available imo. I do though openly admit I kind of prefer a *slighty* scooped tone...so much of this subjective.

Incidentally, I need to make this clear. That 2204 was/is a super cool amp...I shed a tear watching it walk away. I loved the way it looked...and of course the way it sounds. Bone stock they sound kick ass...You have to jump a few hoops to get a DSL to sound as good. In stock form biased correctly they sound good, but not as clear and concise as a 2204. And lastly...I sold it because I am buying a new BMW R18 motorcycle...the extra cash will help.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s some high praise man! I’m glad you’re happy with the outcome.

Neptical

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not surprised after your posts lately. Lol. My DSL 50 and DSL 100 heads will be the last amps to go, if ever. They cover so much ground that in return I'm also on the verge of letting some amps go. It's a great time to sell right now! Funny enough, we have similar tastes for speakers. I'm running G12T75s, V30s and G12K85s - all 4x12.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not surprised after your posts lately. Lol. My DSL 50 and DSL 100 heads will be the last amps to go, if ever. They cover so much ground that in return I'm also on the verge of letting some amps go. It's a great time to sell right now! Funny enough, we have similar tastes for speakers. I'm running G12T75s, V30s and G12K85s - all 4x12.

Yeah dude...man but I must reiterate how important it is to get them modded! Stock DSLs sound good as long as they're biased no more the 65% dissipation.. Makes a HUGE difference...and being that like the old Marshalls, all tube.. the type of tubes you use have quite an impact on how they sound. The Plexi type after market transformers like Classictone and Heyboer they make for the DSL, in combination with a real choke...again like the old, pre 900 Marshalls used, again make a HUGE difference. I simply cannot stress this enough. With these mods the amp gets tighter, more detailed, punchy, and most definitely, like the old Marshalls, sound better with volume. In short it makes the DSL sound far more like an 800..period...but with more gain...total no brainer.

I loved my 2204...bone stock an authentic Marshall soul.. but I can do the same and more with the DSL because of the mods.

I never gigged with the 2204, I always gig with the DSL...the dedicated solo channel is insane... no single channel Marshall amp can do that..even those fitted with an FX loop. I don't like boosting through the loop... asymmetrical tone... then you add an eq to tailor...but then you add noise and distortion. The DSL's red channel with the master volume at 4.2 DOMINATES a mix...cuts hard...love it to death!!

Rozman62

Reaction score
Adrian - I bought the Fryette PS100 to get the proper solo boost out of my 2204's. Also allowed me to get the master to the sweet spot of 6. Also have a fx loop completely independent of the Marshall itself. Delays, reverbs, chorus etc sound better than any amp fx I've ever used. With all that and the balance of functionality it offers it takes vintage Marshalls to the next level at a cost of $900. Never did sell my '98 DSL 100. Going in the shop next month for repairs then into my studio for recording.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Adrian - I bought the Fryette PS100 to get the proper solo boost out of my 2204's. Also allowed me to get the master to the sweet spot of 6. Also have a fx loop completely independent of the Marshall itself. Delays, reverbs, chorus etc sound better than any amp fx I've ever used. With all that and the balance of functionality it offers it takes vintage Marshalls to the next level at a cost of $900. Never did sell my '98 DSL 100. Going in the shop next month for repairs then into my studio for recording.

Repairs?

johan.b

Reaction score
Do this on any jcm2000 dsl and od1 seamlessly takes over where green crunch leaves off... including eq settings.. fat lower gain settings and no need for flubby resonance lows...
Screenshot_20190609-195239_Drive.jpg
... the difference is too the point of me believing this was the intent of the designer but got wrong when transferring from prototype to production...
(I've said this many times before... don't think anyone heard...)
J

Adrian R

Reaction score
Do this on any jcm2000 dsl and od1 seamlessly takes over where green crunch leaves off... including eq settings.. fat lower gain settings and no need for flubby resonance lows...
View attachment 100545
... the difference is too the point of me believing this was the intent of the designer but got wrong when transferring from prototype to production...
(I've said this many times before... don't think anyone heard...)
J

Explain to me what this schematic changed means. What does the blue ink represent?

Adrian R

Reaction score
I get it. The 2204 is a one trick pony. It's fantastic, but if it's not exactly the tone you're looking for or you want more versatility, it might not suit your needs.

Fantastic is right. It's imo, a bench mark for authentic Marshall voicing. I would have loved to keep it, but it really wasn't getting used as my DSLs have that voice and more...plus with more features. One thing I love about the DSL is the deep switch. I rarely use it as I get plenty of low end normally, but ocassionally I play in a room in where the acoustics suck up low frequencies or the wall voltage is inadequate resulting in a colder bias, thus robbing low end grunt. I engage the switch, turn my bass knob down to where I regain the low frequencies. Works perfectly. The choke and after market transformers keep things tighter, even when the deep switch is engaged..(if used consevatively). Can't do this with older Marshalls.

johan.b

Reaction score
As is, they cut a LOT of lows out of od1 to keep it from getting muddy. Not a bad idea, but it makes it thin on low gain settings. (Is not to much treble, its too little lows...)
Moving one side of the resistor to the viper on the pot instead of the top, lows will be cut differently depending on where the pot is set. At low settings, you get all of lows then it progressively cuts more as you turn it up. This is a common set up in many high gain amps.
Is also super simple to do on the jcm2000 pot board. Just cut the rear end of r21 close to the board(away from the pot), bend the leg over and solder it to rear leg of c13.
It only affects od1, but you'll probably never leave od1 after that....

Last edited:

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I have a very nice 2204, 2203, and 4010 along with both the TSL100 and DSL100. My JCM2000 amps and the 2204 are running the same power tubes and bias %. They can sound really close, almost identical to each other with the same cab and the fact my DSL and TSL really capture the vintage tone with more EQ options and features when needed is their best selling point.

I have worked on and repaired the JCM2000 series and plenty of 2203/04 stuff. I really prefer the simple robust build of the vertical input 2203/04 amps. They are seemingly built to last forever and almost impervious to age if cared for.

I don’t think I would part with any of them at this point but those old original amps are built extremely tough and simple. That’s pretty important to me for sure and my old originals definitely are here to stay. I really like all of them and it’s easy to store extra heads somewhere out of the way.

Interestingly enough as the years go by with my changing and expanding music and playing styles the older original 2203/04 amps seem to be a better blank artist’s canvas with the high/low inputs. I have been able to achieve phenomenal tones from SRV /Gary Moore to all extremes of metal and then some with different pedals, guitars, inputs on the amps, etc.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Holy Crap! Is that plugged straight in? It does sound great.

What transformers did you switch to? Any link?

No, um, I'm boosting the green crunch channel with an FD2. I toggle on and off for clean/crunch. I use the red OD1 channel only for soloing. The OT is a Heyboer, and the PT is a Classictone model. Both transformers are built around Plexi era specifications. The amp also had a 3H 250mA choke made by Heyboer.