• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

2204 vs. 1987

• Thread starter Joe Levens
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naldo

Reaction score

Hey jcm800gridlock, do you still have the early 70s 50 watt in your first picture? The one on top of the 4x12 cab? I used to have that exact amp, and I regret ever selling it. Been watching to find one but this is the first in years & years: 3 black toggles​

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Actually, I'm curious about this now as well...

I love my JVM dearly but I do miss the feeling of plugging straight into a power amp which could double as a small, thermonuclear device. So I've been very casually eyeing off JCM800s and 1987s as a bit of a "one day" thought.

My favourite amp to play was a 1987x reissue. God that was fun.

But I never thought of comparing the JCM800 and the 1987.

I play a fair bit of thrash metal, so the JCM800 is a classic and obvious choice, but can a 1987 thrash and have as much gain?
Not without out a pedal.

nasticanasta

Reaction score
Tim
I’ve had a 2204 from 1977 for many years and love its sound but I have always wondered what it would be like to play through a 1987 (or 1987x reissue which I am hearing is very close to the original) with no pre-amp volume. I like a pretty well-distorted, very warm, spongy sound that I easily get with the 2204, old Celestions, and a TubeScreamer (nothing else), pre-amp volume set at about 7. I know that to get the 1987 anywhere near the same crunch would need attenuation unless you play ridiculously loud. Can anyone who has played through both let me know your thoughts on how well these models compare, in your opinion and taste? On the 2204, I have tried turning the pre-amp vol down and turning up the master volume to 10 with attenuation (THD HotPlate), and, to me, it just does not sound anywhere near appealing as when pre-amp volume is up high. I am kinda thinking I am not going to match the tone of the 2204 with a 1987, for my taste, but am finding I really want one of those oldies that was the forerunner in rock history, if, for nothing else, nostalgic purposes. Grateful for any comments.
Time to check out Engl

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score

Hey jcm800gridlock, do you still have the early 70s 50 watt in your first picture? The one on top of the 4x12 cab? I used to have that exact amp, and I regret ever selling it. Been watching to find one but this is the first in years & years: 3 black toggles​

No, I sold it about two months ago. My amp tech said that it was the best sounding Marshall head that he’s ever heard. He’s been in a pretty popular local band that’s been around for over 30 years and knows good tone. I’d have to agree with him, a really good sounding amp.

I am currently going through some medical issues and I off-loaded some of my gear. I’m going through treatment now with a good prognosis. Hoping to replace the 1987 with a JTM RI head and a 2x12 cab down the road.

Last edited:

personaplace

Reaction score
Actually, I'm curious about this now as well...

I love my JVM dearly but I do miss the feeling of plugging straight into a power amp which could double as a small, thermonuclear device. So I've been very casually eyeing off JCM800s and 1987s as a bit of a "one day" thought.

My favourite amp to play was a 1987x reissue. God that was fun.

But I never thought of comparing the JCM800 and the 1987.

I play a fair bit of thrash metal, so the JCM800 is a classic and obvious choice, but can a 1987 thrash and have as much gain?
I have a DSL-100 and I haven’t heard anything better. The Mesa’s don’t sound good. Yeah. Sounds like you have a good amp.

HFloyd

Reaction score
I have a DSL-100 and I haven’t heard anything better. The Mesa’s don’t sound good. Yeah. Sounds like you have a good amp.
Mesa doesn't sound good?

Sorry what now?

They're absolutely hideous to dial in but you can't say they don't sound good.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Back to the OP's original question, if you're interested in knowing the difference get both and see for yourself, that's the only way you'll ever really know for sure what the differences are and if you like them. The difference between them to me is the plexi has a lot more mids, the 800 has plenty of mids but the plexi has even more.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Mesa doesn't sound good?

Sorry what now?

They're absolutely hideous to dial in but you can't say they don't sound good.

Depends on one's definition of "good". I used to be a Mesa guy (about 4 yrs.), but in the end, Marshall was what sounded "good' to me. And yes, with all the little toggle's and push/pull pots, a PITA to dial in.

svinyard

Reaction score
See what Euge has to say.
Kind of surprised me seeing what an 800 fan he is.
Good grief, he LOVES that thing lol. It was like he was talking about his first girl friend or something lol.

I liked how he talked about how he uses it at low volume too. Handy stuff. Interesting that the TSL 100's Clean channel was his all time favorite for recording and that it gave him the closest to the 1987 plexi tone (for his tone at least) out of all of them. That was surprising.

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
Good grief, he LOVES that thing lol. It was like he was talking about his first girl friend or something lol.

I liked how he talked about how he uses it at low volume too. Handy stuff. Interesting that the TSL 100's Clean channel was his all time favorite for recording and that it gave him the closest to the 1987 plexi tone (for his tone at least) out of all of them. That was surprising.
Right down to the goosebumps

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me personally , I'll always prefer the 4 holer to the two holer .....but I can survive on either one, happily
For me , BOTH are always improved with a little capacitor tweaking. I don't think I can even play a 2203/4 right out of the box , without cringing
I really try to tune my 2203/4 amps to the "classic" Marshall sound anyway. It's not that hard

I read a LOT of what I'd consider misconceptions ,about the character of both amps

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 1980 JMP 2204 50w and a 2015 1987x - they’re very different in my opinion which is why I love them both for different music styles.

IMO if you’re a home studio user these are utterly superb with an attenuator and a quality 4x12, which is the only way I play them. In fact I’ve never played them without. Tried all the lower 20w power ones but they just don’t have the weighty feel under 50w. In fact love to try attenuated 100w 2203 if I could find a good price for one.

2204 - I’ve been extensively playing this amp recently and it loves the master volume cranked (7) and less preamp (4) for Ac/Dc sounds. It also loves the SD1, OD808 and the Hot Mod V2 for added sauce. I play loads of 90s / 70s rock and it’s my goto.

1987x - if someone showed me the original when I started playing aged 17, and showed me that I could have the Led Zep / indie rock sounds I spent the next 30 years chasing with pedals, I wonder whether I would have half the gear I own! The FX loop is so good with an EQ pedal or simply reverb. Boost the front end with a compressor and a quality Les Paul can sound chiming and articulate. Play sloppy and it’ll highlight your requirement to practice. I have a 1971 Super PA I modded two channels to Super Lead and Super Bass, the 1987x is very similar indeed. They’re a superb reissue, work with every guitar, love pedals and can make everything sound amazing.

Both record really well and sound great multitracked.

The 1987x made me understand that a cleaner more articulate sound is much more powerful, bringing out the sound of the guitar. It completely reordered the top 5 in my collection.

Anyway hope this helps you buy both!