2466 VM Parametric EQ Loop

• Thread starter DarrenTD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTD

Reaction score
I've been futzing around with my Marshall amps and discovered a tone I really like in my Vintage Modern by using a Presonus 3 band parametric EQ in the Loop. I basically dumped the 3k and it warmed up the gain of the amp to a tone that is nicer to my ears.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kOuDr27kE[/ame]

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I've been futzing around with my Marshall amps and discovered a tone I really like in my Vintage Modern by using a Presonus 3 band parametric EQ in the Loop. I basically dumped the 3k and it warmed up the gain of the amp to a tone that is nicer to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kOuDr27kE
Very interesting tones. I've always liked the VM heads and combos, but it was interesting to hear it with JCM900 1960 cab using G12-T75 speakers.

I'm also a fan of the parametric equalizers. I don't use mine anymore, but with previous amps I've owned, my parametric eq was very useful. Your Presonus 3 band parametric EQ offers a bit more control than mine and very nice to hear another version of the parametric eq device.

It would be interesting to hear this same sound with a backing track or with a band. Good job.

DarrenTD

Reaction score
Very interesting tones. I've always liked the VM heads and combos, but it was interesting to hear it with JCM900 1960 cab using G12-T75 speakers.

I'm also a fan of the parametric equalizers. I don't use mine anymore, but with previous amps I've owned, my parametric eq was very useful. Your Presonus 3 band parametric EQ offers a bit more control than mine and very nice to hear another version of the parametric eq device.

It would be interesting to hear this same sound with a backing track or with a band. Good job.

Thanks man, yeah that's kind of what I'm going for, trying to dial-in a Marshall rig to use at some outdoor band events next summer.

I'm new to modern day Marshalls & to be honest it's a huge difference from what I'm used to in the higher gain department. I'm coming from Mesa, Diezel, and Bogners which are inherently darker and warmer sounding to my ears.

What I'm doing right now is trying out different combinations of gear with the VM & DSL50 to find the Marshall sound that works for me. My ultimate goal as with all my rigs is to have it dialed in so that all the tech at FOH has to do is get a good line signal & push a fader. :D

I'm liking the sound of the brighter bridge p'up in my vid, but the neck is too muddy at the higher volume. I think I need to find a compromise with the Body control on the VM.

Here's an example of what I'm going for with my old Bogner Shiva. I'd like to get the warm chewy mids of the Bogner but with the "hair" of a Marshall.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R14g4oIA_M[/ame]

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bogner sounds very good to me Darren.

How would you (further) describe the extra 'hair' you're looking for?

I think I do kind of know what you mean - but I don't want to make assumptions....

DarrenTD

Reaction score
The Bogner sounds very good to me Darren.

How would you (further) describe the extra 'hair' you're looking for?

I think I do kind of know what you mean - but I don't want to make assumptions....

The Shiva was a great amp. I only sold it because the way I liked it dialed in was so similar to a patch on my Triaxis rig that it was redundant. It was also a 1 trick pony dialed in that way and the Triaxis was much more versatile in covering everything from classic country to hard rock in the band I was in at the time.

Here's an example of that same type of sound on my main rig:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5Joq7dsf0]Mesa Triaxis Demo - YouTube[/ame]

I'm hoping to dial in a Marshall Tone similar to Richrath's Roll With The Changes era sound or the sounds Neal Schon had going on the non-radio Escape album tracks such as the title track, Keep On Runnin', Dead or Alive, etc. Basically the warm fat mids of my other rigs but with the more organic top and bottom end of the classic Marshalls. I don't know if that makes any sense or not or if I'll be able to do it with these amps, but it's fun to try regardless!

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me Darren.

And I'm sure your experience with playing is very different to mine.

Still, makes sense to me.

For the lows....
I have never achieved fat and rich lows that stay within their ideal range - I mean lows that sound very full - but without getting in the way of other instruments such as keys, bass, horns, harmonica.
___

Sounds to me like you are saying that good mids are easy enough to achieve, but then a person will be wanting some character and interest in sounds of the highs and lows.

For some reason, when I think about the highs, the idea of Jimmy Page comes to mind: not a considered opinion, just an idea that comes to mind.

Man, it's late here...

Last edited:

Latest posts