• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

2555x First impression.

• Thread starter medicjg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxisStrat

Reaction score
So my 2555x arrived today. It was packaged well and I dug it out of the box and sat it on top of my 1960ax loaded with green backs. The clean channel sounded great it did not have a whole lot of head room with my Luke3 using the humbuckers in passive mode. With rhythm clip engaged really nice tone. Now switching to the lead channel it turned to pretty much fizz. Rhythm clip out more fizz. Out of the box very disappointed. My 900 DR runs rings around the jub side by side. So now I have to wait til Monday to pull the chassis throw in a quad of Ruby BSTR tubes and some decent preamp tubes with a good bias to determine whether or not it's going back. I have to say I picked up a Dr Z Remedy last week as well and without a doubt out of the box the Z blows it away in every way for the same coin. I was wondering how everyone else feels about it. I know a few have had to of landed.

How does it compare to a JCM 800 2205 or 2210

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Try the Lead Master at 10 or close to it. To even out the balance from Lead to Normal channels, you might have to back it down to 7 or 8 or so. But that is the area where that control needs to be for that channel to sizzle in a very good way.

I have been thinking about pulling one of my Jubes out for the Trower tribute band as well.

:hmm:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
did you have the 2*12 or the 1*12?
the 1*12 combo has no choke and is has a more compressed and boxier tone compared to his big brother ..there is a huge tonal difference between the two.

Yeah, there is a difference, but whereas I've been fortunate enough to play through a few variations of the amp, I think the overriding issue for me is just the way the amp is eq'd. I don't know how else to describe it other than to say they just sound kind of hollow to me.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I was actually kidding, hence... :D

To my ears, the Jubilee is the most unique in the Marshall line. It's that uniqueness that I love so much.

Like the OP said, the 1x12 combo uses a resistor vs a choke. I haven't played the 1x12 Jubilee, so I can't comment. Since the tone/feel of the Jubilee combo didn't appeal to you, I'd say that you made the right decision by selling it. It's not the amp everyone, but for those who relish its uniqueness, it's the cats ass! :slash:

There are amps that I like that I've seen people get really down on, so it's just about how we hear things individually.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Yeah, there is a difference, but whereas I've been fortunate enough to play through a few variations of the amp, I think the overriding issue for me is just the way the amp is eq'd. I don't know how else to describe it other than to say they just sound kind of hollow to me.

hollow it's not...played my friend's 73 superlead today with my jubilee next to it...and the jubilee was all the amp the superlead is...full and juicy.

Last edited:

medicjg

Reaction score
How does it compare to a JCM 800 2205 or 2210

It has just a tad bit less gain then the late model 2210. They are similar. Best way I can describe the difference is that when you hit chords on the drive channel of the jubilee its a little bit fuller. The 2210 by contrast produces pinch harmonics that squeal easier than you can get with jubilee. The jubilee is much more versatile with the clean channel and the clean channel with the rhythm clip. I need to thin my collection a little. The jubilee and the 2210 will definetly stay. Although I love all of my Marshall's I'm gonna let a couple go to fund another DRZ purchase. I have a couple Zs already and they are just as addictive.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
hollow it's not...played my friend's 73 superlead today with my jubilee next to it...and the jubilee was all the amp the superlead is...full and juicy.
:applause: As a former owner of 3 x '73 Super Lead, and 2 x '72 Super Lead amplifiers, I concur.

usablefiber

Reaction score
Rule of thumb: When you get a new marshall, retube and rebias before writing a review.

For some reason marshalls always come quite cold and with cheapo tubes from the factory.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
Rule of thumb: When you get a new marshall, retube and rebias before writing a review.

For some reason marshalls always come quite cold and with cheapo tubes from the factory.

Same with Mess/Boogie... Problem is, you can't set the bias on a Mesa via trim pot. :mad:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

Could very well be user error on my end :p

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I have both the 2555x and the 2203x jcm800 reissues in my studio at the moment. I am thinking of recording an A/B comparison for the board.

Cool! I assume you're going to use the same valves, biasing, and speaker cabinet? Transformers also play a huge role, as do the choke values... Since they're both current, I assume they're using iron sourced from the same vendor. Nothing you can do about tube clipping vs diode clipping, so we'll just have to wing-it!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both the 2555x and the 2203x jcm800 reissues in my studio at the moment. I am thinking of recording an A/B comparison for the board.

Do it. Just use same guitars, speaker and mics. No need to go anal on the process. There 2 different amp circuits. Hell I'd use my phone like I always do. You have a studio...

Would love to hear it.:yesway:

AxisStrat

Reaction score

:slap:

It has just a tad bit less gain then the late model 2210. They are similar. Best way I can describe the difference is that when you hit chords on the drive channel of the jubilee its a little bit fuller. The 2210 by contrast produces pinch harmonics that squeal easier than you can get with jubilee. The jubilee is much more versatile with the clean channel and the clean channel with the rhythm clip. I need to thin my collection a little. The jubilee and the 2210 will definetly stay. Although I love all of my Marshall's I'm gonna let a couple go to fund another DRZ purchase. I have a couple Zs already and they are just as addictive.

Thank you.

sambodious

Reaction score
Please give all dial settings and Triode/Pentode position for reference.

To me those are very important with this amplifier.

Thank you. :yesway::D

Triode mode.

Bass - 2 o'clock
Mids - 1 o'clock
Treble - noon
Presence - a little less than noon
Master & Lead Volumes - 1 o'clock
Input Gain - 1:30

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I think that sounds really great - it sounds just like my 2555SL.

I've seen so many criticism regarding the 2555x but most of the demos I've heard including this one sound really great. I wonder why people love to hate new or reissued stuff.

I don't think it's the amp that is the problem. I'm still waiting for my amp. I think a lot of people comment negatively without doing their true due diligence. .

Latest posts