2x10 plus 2x12 question

• Thread starter msgdman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

msgdman

Reaction score
I have a Blackface Fender Bassman 4 Ohm head and I sometimes play it through a 2x12 at 4 Ohm and other times a 2x10 at 4 Ohms. Is it possible to chain the 2 cabinets and run the head through all 4 speakers? What does this do to the Ohms I am running? Thanks in advance.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
If you plug in both cabs into your amp's speaker jacks, then you'll be running a 2 ohm load. I always match impedances on my Marshalls, but Fenders I am unsure if this mismatch will be fine. MAybe some Fender guys will chime in...

Ghostman

Reaction score
Tube amps, regardless of manufacturer, you need to match the load to the output setting. Two 4ohm cabs plugged in would be a 2ohm load. I've never run across a tube amp that has a 2ohm load setting. You could rewire the cabs to give an 8ohm series load but it would be a special custom cable for that.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I believe all Tweed Bassmans and Super Reverbs have a 2 ohm load that is required.

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
The series box is $35. It is better than a series cable. I always opt to run higher impedances.

msgdman

Reaction score
If you plug in both cabs into your amp's speaker jacks, then you'll be running a 2 ohm load. I always match impedances on my Marshalls, but Fenders I am unsure if this mismatch will be fine. MAybe some Fender guys will chime in...

Would this be the same if I chained them i.e. head into cab, then that cab into next cab, as opposed to both cabs plugged into head?

msgdman

Reaction score
I guess I could rewire the 2 cabs at 16 OHM each, and then when hooked up the load would be 8 OHMs making it safer for the 4 OHM head than the 2 OHM load (am I even remotely accurate !)

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Would this be the same if I chained them i.e. head into cab, then that cab into next cab, as opposed to both cabs plugged into head?

Yes, you will still get 2 ohms by daisy chaining the cabs together in parallel.

And yes, you could rewire each cab to 16 ohms and then run an 8 ohm load. I do not know if that is safer for your bassman or not.

Latest posts